DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smartcontroller & Aircraft Disconnected

maurotandoi

Reactions
In the last month I found the following problem:
DJI GO 4 screen became transparent grey, the message of "Aircraft Disconnected" appeared and I could no longer understand where the drone was (altitude, height and map) or what it saw.
Luckily the drone was in front of me, and I was able to land it because even without the app the drone was controllable from the remote control (smartcontroller).
It is likely that by rebooting the app I would have reconnected it ..but I did not try to test the option.
The battery was at 30% and I was descending towards the take-off point.
Unfortunately the logs stopped until the message Aircraft Disconnected appeared, and there is no evidence of the reason for this loss of connection with the app.
I tried both the latest firmware version and the previous one.
What I would like to understand is the reason for this "block" of the app so randomly. Any experience?

the problem occurred during landing (descent), the last log is what you see in screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-21 at 11.45.14.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-21 at 11.45.14.png
    191.1 KB · Views: 25
Similar incidents have been reported here at the forum numerous times unfortunately ... the GO4 app crashes in the SC. This is most probably related to either SC firmware, the GO4 app or possibly SC hardware getting to weak due to increased processing demands coming from the upgraded SW.

Deeper than this is hard to go without going into the coding itself ... but it have been reported that restarting the SC have restored everything.

Reactions: maurotandoi
Similar incidents have been reported here at the forum numerous times unfortunately ... the GO4 app crashes in the SC. This is most probably related to either SC firmware, the GO4 app or possibly SC hardware getting to weak due to increased processing demands coming from the upgraded SW.

Deeper than this is hard to go without going into the coding itself ... but it have been reported that restarting the SC have restored everything.
Does anyone know of any steps that might reduce chance of disconnect: e.g factory re-set to clear memory, delete apps ?

On the SC, the software/firmware version prior to the latest version which also has the Fly app has always been very stable. I have no need to update past that version. This was the version that claimed to increase the max distance. The next version had the Fly app.

It's clear to me that DJI does not do very much regression testing with their updates or if they do it's not very effective, (I base this on the problem with the Mavic Air 2 and latest versions of Fly app that have been posted here and on other forums).

I have the Mavic Pro 2 with the SC, and have not had any problems with disconnections within normal flight distances.

The Grey Screen issue is a problem for me only if I power on the drone first, then the SC, as about 1/2 of the time the Video feed from the drone will be grey, requiring a reboot of the SC. You can also get the grey screen if you go into settings on the SC after the drone connects (this is a requirement each time I fly as the SC never keeps accurate time).

I keep around 5 to 6Gb available free space on the SC. Note, the latest version which added the Fly app, apparently requires more space. There is only 11GB total on the SC.

If you are not flying a Mavic Air 2 or planning to, I would consider backing off the Firmware on the SC to the previous one.

I am at 01.00.0700 on controller and 01.00.0670 on Drone

Paul C

Last edited:
Reactions: maurotandoi
Hello Everyone,

Yesterday I lost a DJI Mavic 2 Pro while flying with the smart Controller. After approx. 10 min of Flight time the AC disconnected completely and I wasn't able to do anything. It landed somewhere not too far away from the Homepoint. Sadly it is right on a Cliff which is unreachable. I am trying to figure out what happend since I don't see any fault in my flight. I was only about 600m away and 200m High with pretty much nothing (that I am aware of) blocking the Signal. Any Help is much appreciated.

Reactions: NedKelly
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000