DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smoke and burning smell inside drone

Larry1108

Reactions
Went to take some video of new snow and in process of flying smoke started coming out of vent of drone. Terrible burnt smell. Dead now. Worth fixing? Hasn't been flow more than a couple of dozen times in 2 years.

Went to take some video of new snow and in process of flying smoke started coming out of vent of drone. Terrible burnt smell. Dead now. Worth fixing? Hasn't been flow more than a couple of dozen times in 2 years.
Something obviously "fried" inside, but there's no way to tell if it was a major component without opening it up. You probably don't have anything to lose since it's "dead". Was it snowing at the time? Did moisture get inside the drone?

@Larry1108 probably not worth the costs involved ,but its up to you ,maybe find another hobby instead

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Yaros and MaxE1955!
Yikes! Smoke test. Favorite term from military days. Open up a radio and give it the smoke test. Diagnosed more than one that way.

Open up a service request with DJI; send them the drone and they'll give you a repair estimate. Or take your chances with one of the local hammer and drill shops.

Reactions: Larry1108
Given the drone's age and depending on how good you are with your hands I'd give thought to a DIY repair BUT ONLY if none of the components are electronicall/software paired with one another........but I like fixing things.
Assuming the burnt componets are obvious the big problem with a DIY repair is determining what else may have been 'invisibly' damaged, buy, plug and test could prove expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a no-cost estimate you can send it to @DDS
Family Owned & Operated
Free Inspection & Free Shipping
www.djidroneservice.com

They will evaluate it and give you a cost for repair estimate. I've actually got one in transit to them as we speak and they've worked on a few of mine over the years. Their service and Customer Service has been nothing less than STELLAR in my experience.

Ow, smoke and burning not a good sign, in any electronics. See above suggestions. Hope it is minor.

Reactions: Larry1108

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez