DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smoother Camera Settings - Yaw Endpoint, Buffers and EXP

Ian in London

Reactions
Hello all

I see quite a few great videos posted on here ruined by camera jerk, fast rotation and other sudden movements that are so easy to avoid.
Many tutorial videos miss off two of the most important settings you can adjust, namely the Yaw Endpoint and also the Buffers for the Pitch Speed and the aircraft's yaw rotation.

Smoother video is about controlling both the Gimbal and the Drone's movement. The adjustments are easy to make but have an enourmous effect on how smooth your flight and video will be.

So, as I do, I made a video explaining what happens when you adjust these settings. And included some nice shots from the Rocky Mountains as well as a beautiful misty morning at home
smile.gif

Hope it all helps

Cheers,

Ian

Last edited:
thanks Ian, really great tips

Very good video. The one setting you missed though that is very important is switching to gimbal FOLLOW mode. Ed Ricker mentions it in his video
and explains the importance.

Other than that very solid video!

Only thing here is that the movement still seems to stop abruptly! Is there some setting to control that? I have the movement starting slowly and panning nicely but the moment I take my finger off the stick, it just stops dead!

Only thing here is that the movement still seems to stop abruptly! Is there some setting to control that? I have the movement starting slowly and panning nicely but the moment I take my finger off the stick, it just stops dead!
Hi fella
If you're talking about rotation of the drone, then there's two elements you'll need to watch out for.
1 - The EXP Rotate Right & Rotate Left value. Drop this down to 0.15. This affects the drone's rotational movement versus the stick movement for the first part of moving the stick. And therefore also the last part of the stick movement as you let it return to centre position.
You still need a gentle touch, but it means that as you return the stick slowly to the centre point, the rotation will slow down gently. If you let go of the stick and let it ping back to centre, the rotation will still stop very abruptly.
This is around 4:25 in the video

2. YAW End Point: This is how fast the drone will rotate once you've moved the stick all the way from the centre point. Again, if you drop this down to say 30, then as you move the stick further way from the centre point, the drone will still only rotate quite slowly.
This is around 6:00 in the video.

Finally, if you're talking about the camera gimbal up and down, then that's handled easily by the Gimbal Pitch Smoothing value; drop it down to around 20.
This is around 1:10 in the video.

All these settings will slow things down. Maybe too much, and you'll have to adjust them again. Have a practice in your back yard until you get the settings right for your own style.

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited:
Reactions: Allynne
Thanks Ian
That’s exactly what I was doing, letting it ping back to the centre and not guiding it gently back. Obvious when you think about it really, but I didn’t think about it!

Aha... everything is obvious once you know about it :)

Cheers,
Ian

Reactions: Allynne
Hello all

I see quite a few great videos posted on here ruined by camera jerk, fast rotation and other sudden movements that are so easy to avoid.
Many tutorial videos miss off two of the most important settings you can adjust, namely the Yaw Endpoint and also the Buffers for the Pitch Speed and the aircraft's yaw rotation.

Smoother video is about controlling both the Gimbal and the Drone's movement. The adjustments are easy to make but have an enourmous effect on how smooth your flight and video will be.

So, as I do, I made a video explaining what happens when you adjust these settings. And included some nice shots from the Rocky Mountains as well as a beautiful misty morning at home
smile.gif

Hope it all helps

Cheers,

Ian

Great video! on sensitivity setting under Brake....i was told 50 was a good setting. You say 100? does it make a big difference? thanks

Great video! on sensitivity setting under Brake....i was told 50 was a good setting. You say 100? does it make a big difference? thanks
Hi Stan
The setting is called the Yaw End Point and it defaults to 100; I actually recommend dropping it to 50.. It does make a difference, as you see in my Smooth Camera settings video here at 6:00
Cheers, Ian

Hello all

smile.gif

Hope it all helps

Cheers,

Ian

Ian,
With the Mavic 2 Pro, is there a way to lower the Yaw Endpoint below 50%? I see where you have yours set for 30%. Is this possible with the Mavic 2?

Sorry if this has been answered already, I have not come across it yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS