DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So I wrecked my mavic Air 2

speedbird_1

Reactions
So I crashed my MA2 moments after stating I should get either State Farm or DJI insurance.

I assume I’m screwed but I guess my only recourse is to send it to DJI for repair?

Still a newbie and I usually fly the drone while watching its viewpoint in the screen of the smart controller. I had it in speed mode and just kept on traversing a parking lot at 40 to 42 miles an hour when it hit a telephone wire that stretched across the parking lot that I didn’t see because I was trying to practice actually flying the drone while keeping an eye on it. So much for trying to slide with line of sight LOL and wife he wasn’t too pissed but I have to see with the repair bills gonna be

Oops. I always make sure I am higher than the tallest trees, buildings and powerlines in my zone of flight before flying at high speed. If the damage costs more than half the original price to fix the drone, i would buy a replacement instead. There is a seller on Ebay that sells just replacement drones. I forgot his handle, but you can just search "replacement dji mavic air 2" if interested.

Reactions: ATW and rxlawdude
Still a newbie and I usually fly the drone while watching its viewpoint in the screen of the smart controller. I had it in speed mode and just kept on traversing a parking lot at 40 to 42 miles an hour when it hit a telephone wire that stretched across the parking lot that I didn’t see because I was trying to practice actually flying the drone while keeping an eye on it. So much for trying to slide with line of sight LOL and wife he wasn’t too pissed but I have to see with the repair bills gonna be
As a drone flight instructor, I always insist that a pilot maintain VLOS while flying. Glance at your display occationally, but let the craft hover before you watch the screen for any lengthy period. Not doing this could result in another mishap. (...I think you know that now) You indicated the UAV was in sport mode so OA was disabled but even if it WAS enabled, it's just a bad idea to rely on OA to identify power lines. Very often, it doesn't. Hope the repair works out.

Reactions: TerKelDing
Trevsdad, I agree. I was getting good and a bit too comfortable. Its way too easy to fly using the smart controller display BUT this was the one time I was actually trying to fly while WATCHING it. I was flying over a school property Ive known for years, all the power times and utility lines were accounted for.......all except this one fine wire traversing the parking lot.... I don't think I ever had a chance, LOL

SO its on its way to a drone repair shop for an estimate. Just curious,,, if I end up needing a replacement altogether, what other drones use the same size battery as the Mavic air 2?

Looked at eBay replacements hovering in the $550 range. So if my repairs are north of $250, c'est la vie.

At this point, going forward, though does it make sense to get a State Farm drone policy? (I am not a state farm customer)

Looked at eBay replacements hovering in the $550 range. So if my repairs are north of $250, c'est la vie.

At this point, going forward, though does it make sense to get a State Farm drone policy? (I am not a state farm customer)
I would say absolutely...I have a State Farm "personal property policy" with no deductible that pays $1K if I crash it, lose it, etc and it only costs $60/year.
I have no other policies with them so I just called a local agent that I heard I could get the coverage for $60/year and the agent didn't have a clue but after she contacted the underwriters they said sure as a personal property policy...keep in mind this is only coverage for replacement of the drone and no liability for me.

Reactions: Dbez1
that sucks. Can we get pics of the carnage? Good excuse to buy an Air 2 now? The sideways collision sensors are something I'd like, but where I plan to fly there shouldn't be anything to hit anyway. Just ticked that 32 days after I get mine (and like 6 months waiting for the pins in my wrist to heal)... they drop a new one! can't win sometimes.

I was getting too comfy with normal mode saving me from hitting trees. Was in sport and landed nice and high in a tree. Got some interesting ladder combo moves going and was able to rescue it with only 1 prop damages...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa