DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So is the problem with the firmware or the props?

The real problem is the material of which the propellers are made, I think DJI would have given priority to the propellers, that is to say to make them more resistant and of good quality, I know that that would have increased the weight but I think that they would have reduced the plastic internally.

Let's see if for a future DJI takes out more resistant propellers since I see that it is a problem the current propellers the problem is in the weight or the other option is to sell the battery that weighs less so that the drone would weigh 199g and more resistant propellers (thing that I do not see viable)

Actually I believe that a firmware update to warn of an issue that could possibly cause an uncontrolled descent is absolutely the right thing to do.

If it’s a prop issue caused by improper storage, so be it. Just give me a chance to get safely on the ground!

Stay Safe!

Dave

Are you talking about a change in firmware that would allow the drone to sense the out of balance condition and make adjustments in thrust to deal with it?

I know very little about the firmware or what can/cannot be countered via the sensors and controllers on the drone so whether or not that's possible is beyond me.

Are you talking about a change in firmware that would allow the drone to sense the out of balance condition and make adjustments in thrust to deal with it?

I know very little about the firmware or what can/cannot be countered via the sensors and controllers on the drone so whether or not that's possible is beyond me.
I think what some are speculating is that the latest MM firmware update from DJI has included some sort of in-flight prop lift evaluation metric that can determine (or speculate) if any of the props are not producing enough lift. Seems like it could be working as most people who change out the rear props stop getting the error message.

The real problem is the material of which the propellers are made, I think DJI would have given priority to the propellers, that is to say to make them more resistant and of good quality, I know that that would have increased the weight but I think that they would have reduced the plastic internally.

Let's see if for a future DJI takes out more resistant propellers since I see that it is a problem the current propellers the problem is in the weight or the other option is to sell the battery that weighs less so that the drone would weigh 199g and more resistant propellers (thing that I do not see viable)
If DJI had used a premium material for making the props, they would only cost more - NOT weigh more.

Reactions: nicolm and Garbage
If this was a firmware problem wouldn't everyone running that version be having the problem? My vote is the props. I have always updated to the current versions and have never seen the warning with any of them.

If this was a firmware problem wouldn't everyone running that version be having the problem? My vote is the props. I have always updated to the current versions and have never seen the warning with any of them.
It's a firmware bug. Some people get it, some don't. There are too many people having prop issues for this not to be bug related. I take prestine care of my drone and have flown it tons of times. To fly right after the update and all of the sudden need prop replacement seems suspect to me.It's all over every DJI forum out there and there are YouTube videos of it with lots of comments of people having the same issue.

If it isn't a bug, then the prop's are poorly designed (which I doubt because I've never had flight issues prior to the update)

Reactions: strdr and TEVëR
It's a firmware bug. Some people get it, some don't. There are too many people having prop issues for this not to be bug related. I take prestine care of my drone and have flown it tons of times. To fly right after the update and all of the sudden need prop replacement seems suspect to me.It's all over every DJI forum out there and there are YouTube videos of it with lots of comments of people having the same issue.

If it isn't a bug, then the prop's are poorly designed (which I doubt because I've never had flight issues prior to the update)

What happens is that people don't understand that this new firmware is now able to detect if the propeller is failing by measuring RPM, if the RPM is higher than the motor normally does, that's when the motor error comes up because the drone has detected something abnormal in the propellers and they have to be changed. Now if in previous firmware you didn't get that error it was because it didn't have that security system added, and if, it is accessory failure, the propeller material is too fragile, it is easily damaged.

It's a firmware bug. Some people get it, some don't.
Not sure I understand. That's not how I thought firmware bugs to work. I thought bugs were errors in code that caused unexpected results. If you get the code (firmware) - you get the error. BUT the error may not affect everyone because computers and similar systems are not all the same. Many contain different peripherals and each system may react differently because of this variation. So some may have a problem and some not.

But the Mini is a fairly closed system. My Mini is exactly like yous. I guess there could be slight variations made in later production runs. But if that the case the error should be appearing in Mini's produced at certain times. But from what I have read that does not seem to be the case as the problem has cropped up across the board.

AND most tellingly, if it is firmware why does changing props fix it?

I got the error yesterday on props that I replaced one week ago. I’ve used up three batteries since the firmware update but didn’t get an error until yesterday on props I replaced on one motor last week.

Reactions: Garbage
this debate could and probably will go on and on forever and a day, i will put my spin on the issue as i see it
(1) the MM is the first drone from DJI with a 2 cell battery, and props held on with seperate screws
(2) it was made to be under a certain weight ,and as a consequence of that aim it has problems not encountered before
(3) sport mode,it should never have had sport mode,it hasn't got the credentials to fly fast ,lack of power,and lack of collision sensors and WIFI
(4) it would have been much better if it had been ATTI mode instead,as ATTI combined with the supplied prop guards would have been perfect for flying indoors
(5) i think that the overspeed warning is triggered ,when the ESC senses the current draw from the battery is to high for the battery to cope with,and then the prop damage comes into play,and the drone is unable to stay aloft

because of the way that DJI have replaced many of the drones, even those that could not be returned because they could not be recovered, shows that they know that there is an issue,when the motors go to max speed due to the rear props losing lift,in an attempt to stop the issue becoming fatal ,they have put a warning program into the operating system that senses it and then gives out a warning, as far as it only being the left props that seem to be the issue is strange
I got the warning yesterday on my right rear or starboard rear motor.

To everyone who got the error and replaced the left rear prop... try putting the original prop back on again.

I did and have had no problems. This was a few hours after taking the Mini out of the "fly more" case. My theory is that the props "reformed" while in free air and not being crushed in the case.

To everyone who got the error and replaced the left rear prop... try putting the original prop back on again.

I did and have had no problems. This was a few hours after taking the Mini out of the "fly more" case. My theory is that the props "reformed" while in free air and not being crushed in the case.

Interesting. Would be interested to see someone get the error, land, hand-twist the props a bit, then take off and see if they get the motor speed warning.....

Not sure I understand. That's not how I thought firmware bugs to work. I thought bugs were errors in code that caused unexpected results. If you get the code (firmware) - you get the error. BUT the error may not affect everyone because computers and similar systems are not all the same. Many contain different peripherals and each system may react differently because of this variation. So some may have a problem and some not.

But the Mini is a fairly closed system. My Mini is exactly like yous. I guess there could be slight variations made in later production runs. But if that the case the error should be appearing in Mini's produced at certain times. But from what I have read that does not seem to be the case as the problem has cropped up across the board.

AND most tellingly, if it is firmware why does changing props fix it?
In software bugs are not always consistent. Sometimes someone does XYZ and they get a bug. The next person needs to have the same XYZ to get the bug, or else they don't. Let's say it was because I took off with 12 GPS sats, while running iOS. You'd need to re-create the same exact conditions to get the bug.

The new props might not fix it. The bug might just be inconsistent. We shut it off to replace the props, then turn it back on. The bug might not re-appear because now the conditions are different. I believe this because there are people here who claim to have put the old prop's back on and not have the warning again. The other possibility is that the error is just too sensitive and that there is in fact a prop problem, but if that's the case, it might as well just have us replace all 4 props after a certain amount of flights, cause my props were fine.

Reactions: ThePilot011
Having a very limited knowledge about how IMU keeps the drone in correct altitude, yaw and place i believe it is very difficult to demonstrate the problem with a prop set, old to another motor or new.

Add to that the fact that as battery goes low (V) the demand for current (A) goes up. It is easy to see it in .DAT file and it is the only way to keep the same overall power on motors (P=I*V).

So when the fatigue in a prop is marginal i think that it is very difficult to demonstrate the same load conditions and see the message.

I check the motors speed after every flight and the same motor (RBack) runs in the 80% of the others motor speed. Every flight, all the flytime. The only explanation is that it has the "better" formed props which gives the ordered lift with less revolutions per minute. Its a new drone, i dont want yet to mess with screws loctite etc. but a props change with the other motor could give a proof for that prop set condition.

I stronly believe that is a feature (an answer to the well known "Max power reached" MM problem) and that the update on batteries is strongly connected with all these.

I got the error on the rear right and eventually landed and ignored it and thought "she'll be right" and ignored it...couple of days later it happened on the rear left and once again my "she'll be right" strategy solved the issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys