DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So is the problem with the firmware or the props?

Nonprophet

Reactions
With so many people reporting motor speed issues after the latest firmware upgrade one has to wonder: is the problem a bug in the software, or, did DJI incorporate new motor speed tracking/lift monitoring ability to ensure that the MM has the lift it needs to maintain flight? The main theory seems to be that when stored in a case the rear blades get flattened over time which alters their pitch and ostensibly reduces lift. Given all the problems being reported with uncontrolled descents, is it possible that DJI added a form of prop testing to the latest firmware and that all the motor speed warnings are coming from the rear motors not because of a glitch, but because so many people have flattened rear props? Sounds like a lot of people are able to clear the warning once they replace the props.

So, is this the classic software disclaimer: "it's not a bug, it's a feature?"

Reactions: glockman27
Hi,

Even if one feedback is not enought to determine a rule, i can say that i do not have the combo so my mini is usualy stored folded on his feets, with no constraint on props; i did not faced "esc" notification or uncommanded descent with previous firmware, i do not have motor speed warning or props warning with the new 1.00.05 firmware.

With so many people reporting motor speed issues after the latest firmware upgrade one has to wonder: is the problem a bug in the software, or, did DJI incorporate new motor speed tracking/lift monitoring ability to ensure that the MM has the lift it needs to maintain flight? The main theory seems to be that when stored in a case the rear blades get flattened over time which alters their pitch and ostensibly reduces lift. Given all the problems being reported with uncontrolled descents, is it possible that DJI added a form of prop testing to the latest firmware and that all the motor speed warnings are coming from the rear motors not because of a glitch, but because so many people have flattened rear props? Sounds like a lot of people are able to clear the warning once they replace the props.

So, is this the classic software disclaimer: "it's not a bug, it's a feature?"
have to agree with you to a point ,it is an attempt to tell the operator that there is an issue with the props ,its no different to the wind warning that flashes up ,or in fact any warning that comes on the screen the firmware has been tweaked to recognise the the issue and put up the warning it may be that when further updates are released that the ESC control logarithms will be modified to to improve the power differential between the front and rear motors, when forwards speed is asked for to fight wind or even a redesigned prop who knows

So sar104 is doing MM flight tests and his info and conclusions about the rear prop problem can be found here

I would think the firmware would NOT be updated to deal with an issue that comes about based on how the drone is stored.
Actually I believe that a firmware update to warn of an issue that could possibly cause an uncontrolled descent is absolutely the right thing to do.

If it’s a prop issue caused by improper storage, so be it. Just give me a chance to get safely on the ground!

Stay Safe!

Dave

Last edited:
Hi,

Even if one feedback is not enought to determine a rule, i can say that i do not have the combo so my mini is usualy stored folded on his feets, with no constraint on props; i did not faced "esc" notification or uncommanded descent with previous firmware, i do not have motor speed warning or props warning with the new 1.00.05 firmware.

I think the problem is that whether in a case, backpack, or whatever once the arms are folded in for storage if you set the mini down on its "bottom" the weight of the drone sits on the props. I bought a nice GPC hard case for my mini and it actually has a nice space beneath the folded bottom props so they don't get any weight put on them. Not sure if this was intentional to protect the rear props, or just a space created to store extra stuff, but it works really well to protect the rear props.

Reactions: Dmascot
So I got the flymore combo deal and did get the motor problem described shortly after the firmware update. I changed the offending rota blades ( rear left ) and have flown many times since with no problems. I've always thought the way the drone is stored in the box could/ does cause some distortion of the blades and that this is probably the reason here.

Reactions: Nonprophet
So I got the flymore combo deal and did get the motor problem described shortly after the firmware update. I changed the offending rota blades ( rear left ) and have flown many times since with no problems. I've always thought the way the drone is stored in the box could/ does cause some distortion of the blades and that this is probably the reason here.

Yep and I'm wondering, do other Mavic drone owners with models that have the quick release props, do they usually remove the props for storage, or, are they not seeing the same problem because their props are thicker and more robust (and thus less prone to getting flattened) than the MM props?

So yesterday was my second time flying (I'm a fairly experienced Mini flyer, been flying since December) after updating to the new Firmware and I received a "Motor Speed Error" about 1 minute into my flight, as well as the drone sounding odd in flight. I landed, Mini was beeping Left Rear Prop, replaced the props and screws then did not get the error anymore.

I suspect it is an issue with the firmware being too sensitive on that motor as I have heard reports of newly out of the box Mini's having this issue. Additionally, there are users on the DJI forum who claimed to have "Downgraded" their firmware and the issue goes away.

MOTOR SPEED ERROR AFTER 04/2020 FIRMWARE -Link to a DJI Discussion

Last edited:
doesn't the error message go away after downgrading because the previous versions didn't have that functionality?

Reactions: Nonprophet
I don't think there's anything wrong with the flymore case. Just be sure you align the props the proper way, particularly the bottom ones, before placing in the case.

For my M2 I remove the props. I had concerns about potential prop warping in its flymore case if not removed.

So yesterday was my second time flying (I'm a fairly experienced Mini flyer, been flying since December) after updating to the new Firmware and I received a "Motor Speed Error" about 1 minute into my flight, as well as the drone sounding odd in flight. I landed, Mini was beeping Left Rear Prop, replaced the props and screws then did not get the error anymore.

I suspect it is an issue with the firmware being too sensitive on that motor as I have heard reports of newly out of the box Mini's having this issue. Additionally, there are users on the DJI forum who claimed to have "Downgraded" their firmware and the issue goes away.

But then the assumption is that the error message is sent in error. If replacing the props fixes the problem, then it seems like the props were the problem. If reverting to earlier firmware stops the error messages, that doesn't mean the error (i.e. possible reduced lift due to flattened prop blades) is faulty, it only means that the previous firmware was not set up to detect blade pitch issues/problems. If people are getting the motor speed error, replacing the rear props with brand new ones and STILL get the error message, then I'd be inclined to believe that it could be a firmware issue. The fact that your mini "sounded odd in flight" really couldn't be a firmware issue, or rather, seems far more likely to be a prop issue.

But then the assumption is that the error message is sent in error. If replacing the props fixes the problem, then it seems like the props were the problem. If reverting to earlier firmware stops the error messages, that doesn't mean the error (i.e. possible reduced lift due to flattened prop blades) is faulty, it only means that the previous firmware was not set up to detect blade pitch issues/problems. If people are getting the motor speed error, replacing the rear props with brand new ones and STILL get the error message, then I'd be inclined to believe that it could be a firmware issue. The fact that your mini "sounded odd in flight" really couldn't be a firmware issue, or rather, seems far more likely to be a prop issue.
I am suspecting that the new firmware is too sensitive to prop issues on the left rear props. There are too many people having prop issues with the left rear props. If people were just having prop issues in general that would be one thing, but the fact that everyone is having it with left rear points to a firmware issue. The fact that it sounded odd could be firmware caused. Lets not forget the fact that there are several people who claim to have just gotten their drone and are getting this error.

doesn't the error message go away after downgrading because the previous versions didn't have that functionality?
Who's to say the previous versions did not have this functionality. There was nothing in the release notes to point to DJI adding this functionality in either the DJI Fly App or the Firmware Update.

And, once again, why just the left rear props?

because of the way that DJI have replaced many of the drones, even those that could not be returned because they could not be recovered, shows that they know that there is an issue,when the motors go to max speed due to the rear props losing lift,in an attempt to stop the issue becoming fatal ,they have put a warning program into the operating system that senses it and then gives out a warning, as far as it only being the left props that seem to be the issue is strange

because of the way that DJI have replaced many of the drones, even those that could not be returned because they could not be recovered, shows that they know that there is an issue,when the motors go to max speed due to the rear props losing lift,in an attempt to stop the issue becoming fatal ,they have put a warning program into the operating system that senses it and then gives out a warning, as far as it only being the left props that seem to be the issue is strange
I agree that it's probably a good feature to have, however I think the feature in it's current state must be bugged. There's too many people getting this error on the LR prop.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio