DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So some cops approached me today...

One nice thing about djigo4 is that it is perfect for voice recording these interactions.

I feel that most officers are not sure about drone laws and are not likely to engage a pilot unless they witness obviously unsafe behavior.

There are enough laws for them to learn and enforce. Drones are relatively new and so are drone laws. It's hard enough to keep up with existing laws!

Reactions: cderoche
To tell me how cool my Mavic was!! I almost **** myself initially. I'm flying from the roof of my apartment's parking garage carefully piloting my mavic above some powerlines trying to capture the sunset when I hear a voice to my left, "So how far can you fly that thing?". I look over and see two cops looking at me. Every cop horror story with drones immediately rushed to me. My immediate response was "I've never actually tested it" (lying). They weren't about to catch me slipping lol. They asked me how high it was currently and looking down at my controller I tell them 176 feet from where we're standing. They both immediately respond with "Whoaaaa! Nice!". It was at this point that I realize that they weren't there for me. So I told em that the theoretical distance is over 4 miles. They almost **** a brick upon hearing that. They then went on to tell me they were there because of a report of some kids partying on the garage. Funny enough, I saw those kids leaving when I got up there. This just goes to show you that not all cops have a problem with people flying their drones. And they clearly aren't being forced into drone law training classes.

Once they left, I proceeded to continue on with what I was doing and took this great bit of video. Enjoy!

I was in law enforcement for 31 years. I can recall many incidents in which a drone would have been incredibly beneficial. I'm surprised that law enforcement has been slow to recognize the value of aerial observation in critical incidents. Once law enforcement in general begins to actively utilize drones, it will be a very needed and welcomed positive image for drones .

I was in law enforcement for 31 years. I can recall many incidents in which a drone would have been incredibly beneficial. I'm surprised that law enforcement has been slow to recognize the value of aerial observation in critical incidents. Once law enforcement in general begins to actively utilize drones, it will be a very needed and welcomed positive image for drones .

Our fire department is on the verge creating a drone program. I think we will have our first aircraft before July if things go as I plan.

NIce but illegal flying. It is videos like this on YouTube that the FAA is looking for to shut us down.
If you're going to do it, perhaps try at 3 am when very few people are around and secondly please do NOT post on social media and Youtube for obvious reasons!

Sorry, but I'm totally new to this hobby. Why exactly is this illegal? Thx.

We do already. I'm a licensed pilot in command for my agency. We have several. We use a helicopter for most missions but do use a Mavic occasionally for overwatch ec...

NIce but illegal flying. It is videos like this on YouTube that the FAA is looking for to shut us down.
If you're going to do it, perhaps try at 3 am when very few people are around and secondly please do NOT post on social media and Youtube for obvious reasons!
I'd love to see you reference the specific law that makes the flying in the video illegal.

waaah

Sorry, but I'm totally new to this hobby. Why exactly is this illegal? Thx.

Best thing you can do is head to the FAA's website and read every single thing they have in the consumer drone section like I did. Then, when people tell you OH Wait you can't fly higher than 400 feet, or you can't fly at night, you know better. You don't even have to register them anymore if you're a hobbyist. Wonder if I'll get a $5 refund lol.

There's much more regulation if you're flying commercially, that is, for profit. If you fly for fun, mainly use your common sense and don't do anything stupid. I don't live close to any airports but occasionally there are low flying crop dusters spraying the sugar cane fields near where I live. 400 feet of altitude? These guys can fly lower than the power lines when they spray. 40ft and they'd hit your drone. But they don't spray throughout the year only a limited time of the year. Bottom line common sense should prevail whether a law exists or not.

Last edited:
Very nice video! And a good story to go along with it. Loving it.

I completely understand why those in law enforcement and emergency response would support the idea of putting cameras in the sky. For exigent circumstances (immediate life threatening events), I think most (including me) could support their use.

However, allowing government (local, state, or feds) to use small, virtually undetectable aerial platforms in the US is a VERY slippery slope. It isn't as though government hasn't abused surveillance equipment (look up Stingray technology), skirted court orders (how many drug dogs alert on vehicles that ultimately have zero contraband in them), ended up killing innocent civilians after botching arrest warrants (read about no-knock warrants that go horribly wrong), or seized completely legal possessions with simply an accusation of criminal activity AGAINST THE PROPERTY - not the owner - (look up civil asset forfeiture laws).

There are too many people within government who lack the moral compass to step in and prevent abuses of civil liberties (privacy, illegal searches/seizures). The last thing I want to do is give them the tools with which they can further strip away our rights.

Last edited:
I'm going proactive - putting an info presentation together for our city council that I'll present in July. Would like them to have facts before they may consider enacting any local drone ordinances.
The police chief also attends city council meetings, so will see what her response/interest is too.

This is a very good idea. I think laws get created sometimes out of ignorance and panic, and then everyone is stuck with them. As a former law enforcement officer I can assure you less laws to enforce makes your job easier. People call the police on other people for oddball things sometimes and you have to dig into the law books to see whether they broke a law or not. Sometimes you'd be surprised what they have laws regulating. Hopefully if and when drone laws ever get created they use common sense. I personally think most existing laws have it covered already. Example, if you use your drone to spy on your neighbor and fly into their backyard peering into their bathroom window while the Misses of the house is bathing you should be charged as a peeping tom. Or use your drone to ram someone aggravated battery, or flying to close to crowds and dive bombing them or whatnot, criminal mischief, etc. Let the FAA deal with the rest up in the sky since it's their jurisdiction anyhow.

It's not illegal or even prohibited to fly a drone over a city or town, but there are safety concerns and procedures to address them, such as not flying over sporting events and dense groups of people. I did not see any such problems with this video.

Great to hear a good story about cops and drones!

Last edited:
Totally agree, but I have only had good experiences so far. I was taking a large orbit shot around Middle Head fort in Sydney harbour and saw some cops walking around doing the rounds, I went over to them and asked if I could fly there and described what I wanted to do. Basically they didnt have a clue on the laws but just said don't buzz anyone and you'll be fine. So armed with my "permission slip" from the two female officers I send on to do some amazing footage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S