DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

so, the ATC....

Vipermoray

Reactions
I am waiting to get my Mavic Air....should be here tomorrow, and trying to get all my proverbial ducks in a row here....
Using the AIRMAP app, I see that I live within 5 miles of an airport.....in my case, a balloon port which hasn't operated in years (but still restricts me on AIRMAP). Now, I know I am supposed to notify the airport and ATC....I have the phone number for the balloonport, but there is no Air Traffic Control there.....so, everytime I want to fly in my backyard, who do I call? When calling the defunct balloon port, all I get is no answer, but who is the ATC I need to notify?

If there is an address listed. Send a letter with your intent to regularly fly in the area. I did that for the 2 Heliports (Lifeflight) that were within my 5 mile flight distance.

If there is an address listed. Send a letter with your intent to regularly fly in the area. I did that for the 2 Heliports (Lifeflight) that were within my 5 mile flight distance.
I know the address of the balloonport...its in my town, but no ATC addy listed at all

My house shows to be within the 5 mile zone of 2 'airports' -- both defunct, but still in the FAA DB. I tried calling the numbers for each, get either a disconnected or fast busy on all. I logged when the calls were attempted, stuck that somewhere safe, and called it good.

This is where AirMap is nice, but pretty much useless for anything more than a quick glance to see if you are near an airport.

map.png

There is an actual map that is free and available to use by anyone starting out or flying in a very new location. Don't worry, you don't need all the info on there.

I live in Stoughton, near the center of the map. I am surrounded by private fields, 7 within 5 miles if I am not mistaken. Every one of those are private, and most are for the local farmer to get his crop duster in the air. Not a single one cares that I am flying my heli at the local park.

My concern here is the V9-177 route from Madison to Janesville. While the planes are above 400' AGL, oftentimes they are not much higher, especially on overcast days. I can usually make out their tail number as they go over. This is when it's a good reason to give the local ARTCC (Chicago Center 630-906-8200) a call and a heads up. They will advise you of whether you should call each time you fly, for me they said keep it below 400' and I was good. They weren't at all worried about the private strips everywhere, just said to be sure I wasn't flying in their backyard.

If there were any question about doing your due diligence, do more than is due and cover your ***.

If you have crop dusters and such in the area, they do fly below the 400' AGL limit, so at least during crop season, you may want to have a visual observer to keep an eye out.

If you have crop dusters and such in the area, they do fly below the 400' AGL limit, so at least during crop season, you may want to have a visual observer to keep an eye out.

True, but if there is a crop duster making a drop or flying super low over town, where I typically fly, my drone is going to be the least of his worries.

This is where AirMap is nice, but pretty much useless for anything more than a quick glance to see if you are near an airport.

View attachment 54573

There is an actual map that is free and available to use by anyone starting out or flying in a very new location. Don't worry, you don't need all the info on there.

I live in Stoughton, near the center of the map. I am surrounded by private fields, 7 within 5 miles if I am not mistaken. Every one of those are private, and most are for the local farmer to get his crop duster in the air. Not a single one cares that I am flying my heli at the local park.

My concern here is the V9-177 route from Madison to Janesville. While the planes are above 400' AGL, oftentimes they are not much higher, especially on overcast days. I can usually make out their tail number as they go over. This is when it's a good reason to give the local ARTCC (Chicago Center 630-906-8200) a call and a heads up. They will advise you of whether you should call each time you fly, for me they said keep it below 400' and I was good. They weren't at all worried about the private strips everywhere, just said to be sure I wasn't flying in their backyard.

If there were any question about doing your due diligence, do more than is due and cover your ***.

The minimum altitude for V airways is 1200'.
By the way, it isn't "V9-177."
It is V-9.
The 177 is the radial into Janesville.

The minimum altitude for V airways is 1200'.
By the way, it isn't "V9-177."
It is V-9.
The 177 is the radial into Janesville.

Minimum altitude, true. But many planes following an airway or radial from or to a VOR aren't always in an IFR plan, especially when flying in an unfamiliar area. Next time one flies over I'll get a picture for you.

And yes, I'm well aware of how to read a chart. When posting on a forum with the possibility of someone not well versed in navigation, I am sure to point out the obvious and easiest to find text.

The point of my reply was to show that simply basing your go/no-go decision on one piece of information and not taking into account all available information, is a risky move. I will try and be more technically correct for you in the future.

Are you sure they are under 400’. Human height perception can sometimes be a bit rubbish.

My friend lives very close to Luton airport (smallish airport but busy and takes plenty of private jets and passenger aircraft up to 787 size) and he wanted me to fly to check his roof.

He is further than the minimum 1km the UK CAA required but the planes still looked awful low. However he assured me they were well over 400’ - nearer 800-1000’ yet I could easily read the reg marks etc.

Are you sure they are under 400’. Human height perception can sometimes be a bit rubbish.

My friend lives very close to Luton airport (smallish airport but busy and takes plenty of private jets and passenger aircraft up to 787 size) and he wanted me to fly to check his roof.

He is further than the minimum 1km the UK CAA required but the planes still looked awful low. However he assured me they were well over 400’ - nearer 800-1000’ yet I could easily read the reg marks etc.

Who?

Crop dusters? Yes.

Other traffic? No, but I did say above 400'. In the us minimum separation for aircraft is 500' from man made objects, so 500' above town is common. Especially between two busy GA airports.

Who?

Crop dusters? Yes.

Other traffic? No, but I did say above 400'. In the us minimum separation for aircraft is 500' from man made objects, so 500' above town is common. Especially between two busy GA airports.

Sorry - mid-read your op a bit. Yeah would love to see some crop dusters flying. Nowt like that in the UK!

An update on the Balloonport at Dingley Dell! Yes, this still appears on AIRMAP and B4UFLY apps.....but when I call the number on AIRMAP, and search the number in our phone directory, theres an "out of service" automessage.......so, would it be a good idea to send a certified letter to them letting them know I will be flying a drone within VLOS, less than 400' AGL, daytime only, 3.9 miles from their location? This way, at least they are notified and I have a receipt of them taking delivery of the letter, since it appears I cannot get ahold of them any other way. I haven't heard of them floating a balloon in years, and have seen no activity there in years, with no notes on facebook, etc. I also believe the original applicant and owner of the port has passed away.......

What say you, veteran pilots?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kzenoxx