DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So what about Ipad type devices?

A.O.

Reactions
I have an MA2, and an old iphone 7, thinking about another device to fly it with, wish I had the cash for a smart controller but I don't☹️ . So what do you like and why.. and how do you have it mounted to your controller, come on all you droniacs, now is your chance to show off. Oh and reasonably priced please... under $3-400??
Thanks.

for me with my old eyes any sort of phone is to small so a decent I pad was the answer,i have a 6th gen 2018 9.7 64gig WIFI only, which has worked flawlessly since i purchased it, i have a mount that fits in the existing phone grips and it works very well on both my RCs, and i have no trouble seeing my screen with a hood fitted

Hi A.O hope you're keeping well and enjoying your new orange skin.
My experience of what device to fly with is very limited i'm afraid.
i've only ever flown with an iphone or Ipad both of which i wouldn't
recommend because in bright sunlight you can't see a thing. I got
lots of well worth advise on here explaining the nitt value of a screen
(it's brightness) and the effects this has in bright sunlight. I was using
an Ipad all through the summer and on sunny days i couldn't see anything
on the screen, as a result i have just ordered a TRIPLTEK 7 which is supposed
to have one of the brightest screens on the market at 1200+ nitts. For your
budget you might need to look at Lenova or Samsung tablets which i'm
sure your get lots of help with on here. Good luck and happy ? flying.

Reactions: A.O.
Go on swapper and grab a used 10inch tablet. Can be had for a good rate. I use a galaxy tab s4 mainly because I already owned it, but have also used a tab 8 with good results. Just make sure whatever data cable you get to connect the remote to the tablet is compatible. I went through a few cheap ones from Amazon that would show display for only a second, then no more.

A good mount makes all the difference, too. I had a plastic one that just felt flimsy when I first started (came with the kit), I would worry more about dropping the tablet out of it than anything. Went to a Lekufee Lightweight Aluminum Alloy Foldable Tablet Holder and never looked back. It's solid

I have an MA2, and an old iphone 7, thinking about another device to fly it with, wish I had the cash for a smart controller but I don't☹️ . So what do you like and why.. and how do you have it mounted to your controller, come on all you droniacs, now is your chance to show off. Oh and reasonably priced please... under $3-400??
Thanks.
Your right in the ball park for a Mini 5 which is the now considered the ultimate size and highest power of portable Apples and will serve you for 4 or 5 years in the advancing DJI world. I also have laying around (Somewhere) a PadHat which was considered the gold standard amoung DJI iPad fliers back in the day for sunshades..it was for a Mini 2 but size wise should reasonable fit a Mini 5.. I could send your way...as they are always out of stock due to demand. HoodiVision® | PadHat™ anti-glare sun shade for iPad They put much effort into the design and angle and fold right up to be stored under the foam of many cases.

As for a mount they can be printed or bought off Ebay in various styles and materials... I am a machined aluminum guy, I would look into getting one with Neck Strap/harness myself as that weight starts to fatigue the hands/arms after a few flights ;) Such as this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7RFDBA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
I must have knackered eyes compared to you guys, as even with a sunshade
on sunny ☀️ days i still struggled to see the screen properly ?
No, they are dim by any standard >500 Nit, but it isn't so much the Nit brightness but screen reflectivity. Your face/body and the sky showing like a mirror on the display. As I mentioned the PadHat tried to circumvent that. And Apples notorious throttling at any reasonable temp while in the sun doesn't help matters ;)

Reactions: Starz
No, they are dim by any standard >500 Nit, but it isn't so much the Nit brightness but screen reflectivity. Your face/body and the sky showing like a mirror on the display. As I mentioned the PadHat tried to circumvent that. And Apples notorious throttling at any reasonable temp while in the sun doesn't help matters ;)
yes you're right the glare off the gloss screen is a nightmare as well, i even
tried a matt anti-glare screen cover as well..... for me personally still no good.

Your right in the ball park for a Mini 5 which is the now considered the ultimate size and highest power of portable Apples and will serve you for 4 or 5 years in the advancing DJI world. I also have laying around (Somewhere) a PadHat which was considered the gold standard amoung DJI iPad fliers back in the day for sunshades..it was for a Mini 2 but size wise should reasonable fit a Mini 5.. I could send your way...as they are always out of stock due to demand. HoodiVision® | PadHat™ anti-glare sun shade for iPad They put much effort into the design and angle and fold right up to be stored under the foam of many cases.

As for a mount they can be printed or bought off Ebay in various styles and materials... I am a machined aluminum guy, I would look into getting one with Neck Strap/harness myself as that weight starts to fatigue the hands/arms after a few flights ;) Such as this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7RFDBA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And what would you want for this shade? PM me if you'd like. And where in SC are you, maybe we could get together sometime, I have 100 acres here we can play on.

If three sides are good, four is better. ?

This is the one I have for the mini 4.

No light gets in at all.

They went with the 3 side shade as to give full access without restriction to the screen...to each their own :)

And what would you want for this shade? PM me if you'd like. And where in SC are you, maybe we could get together sometime, I have 100 acres here we can play on.
I will see if I can locate it just pay shipping ? I live near Greenville, but not exactly. I don't travel well due to disabilities from service. ;) But would love to so possibly :)

I will see if I can locate it just pay shipping ? I live near Greenville, but not exactly. I don't travel well due to disabilities from service. ;) But would love to so possibly :)
I'd be glad to pay the shipping, just let me know, I'm near Kershaw and about 3 hrs from you. And the offer stands. And thank you so much for your service!

Last edited:
Reactions: BruceBotti
I'd be glad to pay the shipping, just let me know, I'm near Kershaw and about 3 hrs from you. And the offer stands. And thank you so much for your service!
You gotta get a iPad first :p and hope it is where I think it is;) haven't seen it in over a year to be honest...but I'm going to look tomorrow..it's late and don't want to be moving things around in house. You are about 2.5 hours from me BTW.

Thanks.
i use the apple i pad mini 5 and it works great.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter