DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So What Does DJI Do About Lost Drones?

After reading another lost drone post I am wondering what does DJI do in terms of helping the community get back our drones instead of them becoming hot sellers on eBay?

DJI has the serial number of every drone and the registration info for activation.
I assume if someone finds a drone they will have to pair it with another controller.
Does DJI Blacklist drones that are reported as stolen or missing by the original owner to prevent it from being activated again?

Like the rest of you I can also see what is coming in the next few months. The Mavic is going to go from being known only by people in the drone and tech world to being on the news and becoming very well known by the public. As this happens sales will increase, Mavics become more popular and possibly the Mavic becomes the new poster child for the look of a modern consumer drone.

At that point just like the original iPhone it will become a hot item that is not only going to be accidentally lost, but people will target them for theft.

Are we going to have to wait for 7 years like we did with Apple or will DJI implement security measures now that will make lost or stolen drones have very little financial value.

Rob
It is not DJI's responsibility to find your lost drone. Good grief.

It’s not a Herculean task really if pets can be microchipped and added to a database how come drones can’t be registered to an owner and in the same vein report their drone as lost and therefore blacklist anyone wishing to register a missing drone that isn’t theirs?

I don't think the OP is suggesting that DJI should assist someone in finding a lost drone, but rather rendering the drone useless to someone who either found it or stole it. On the surface that sounds good, if there were no glitches. There would be glitches.

The lesson I learned here is to really register with FAA and label your drone, that would help a lot.
I don't think the FAA will help you either. Only if there was a reported injury would they bother, in which case the police would need to be involved. I know of no reports where the FAA helped anyone locate a drone owner from the FAA registration number. Am I wrong? If the FAA did voluntarily provide owner information, that opens a Pandoras box of FAA liability. How about this scenario: An angry person who's classic car got dented from a flyaway drone, then he learns the owner name and address from the FAA, and now the drone owner gets a visit at his front door from a hostile person. I have a hunch that's not what the FAA wants to involve themselves in. I like the idea of DJI turning off the drone's flight capability better, when the registered owner reports it lost. It's easily within DJI's capability if they wanted to intervene in these situations, but I have a hunch they're not interested, so they sell more drones.

Last edited:
I think, DJI keeps a database, with activation dates, for warranty reasons.

DJI cannot guarantee the real owner's data, because during activation, we use an electronic account, created by the owner. I don't remember DJI asking me to provide any proof of my identity, real address etc.

Also, when a drone changes owner (legally), no more activation is needed, drone flies with everyone's phone or tablet, with anyone's account.

Only authorities have real owner's data, but I doubt if half of drones are registered, and if authorities have a mechanism to keep control of owner changing, lost drones, and destroyed ones.

What items and how many different ones can you name, will the manufacturer take some responsibility if lost or stolen?
I can not think of more than one or two.
If DJI gave up My information to some random caller with my mavic serial number I would be ticked off. Any manufacturer of ANYTHING would be at great risk doing so.
Stolen or lost wallets rarely get returned, same as Car stereos, Cameras and just about every valuble items you can think of.
Dont waste you time trying to get a manufacturer to help make you whole if you get ripped off, or if you lose your drone. (which would be really hard to do if flying within VLOS) That is exactly why insurance companies are in existence and prospering.

In Australia we have a criminal offence alled "Theft by found" If you find something of value you have a responsibility to hand ot to the police. Usually you get it back after 3 months if the owner has not come forward.

In Australia we have a criminal offence alled "Theft by found" If you find something of value you have a responsibility to hand ot to the police. Usually you get it back after 3 months if the owner has not come forward.
I think every country has a similar law, I suppose It could be considered possession of stolen property, Theft by deception, or countless other categories.
unless you are suggesting that EVERY person in Australia obeys that law, it is of little value unless the finder is caught red handed with the item. Laws do not force all people to do the moral thing.

My son found a Phantom 4 Pro Drone today while hunting in the hills of Southern Arizona. There is not identifying information on it. He's emailed Mavic and hopes they can put him in touch with the owner.

Just like "chipped" animals, DJI could be the intermediary... you tell them you found a drone, they in turn notify the last known owner/registrant. If the owner gives permission, the finder can then contact them directly.

My son found a Phantom 4 Pro Drone today while hunting in the hills of Southern Arizona. There is not identifying information on it. He's emailed Mavic and hopes they can put him in touch with the owner.
May be some form of information on the sd card that may be traceable.
Check the left side of the phantom for the sd card slot.

May be some form of information on the sd card that may be traceable.
Check the left side of the phantom for the sd card slot.
He pulled the SD card and there were three videos that were no help in locating the owner. And there was no identifying information on the card. He's notified DJI of the find and gave them the serial number. Hopefully they can locate the owner and get it back to them.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots