DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So, who is going to be the first one to build the S1 Robomaster....

silverdragon

Reactions
If I had the time and patience I would be. So, who is going to challenge it?

Will be good in high schools.
I understand that, I also understand that it's a great educational tool and the experience is rewarding but where do we fit in this equation?

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Wow, seems like you took a slight offense, I was just asking how would this item fit in with us drone fliers. Of course DJI can take off with a different spin. I also know DJI can cater to whom ever they please. So, in a nut shell, this contraption has nothing to do with drones and drone flying?

I suppose a person can hover their beginner drones and shoot pellets at them. Most of my cheapies don't have GPS so it would be a moving target!

Will be good in high schools.
i hardly see why. may be. who knows, but, hardly see why.

take a kakute f7 AIO chip - $45, put an ardupilot rover software on it - with an ESC for $40 and some simple motors - a build like that is under $150 for all. and much more fun and educational value than to deal with the 'lego' construct like this one.

they have some simpler models in elementary schools they use now for coding lessons, $500 is quite a bit for a school budget, in my opinion. and for robotics clubs - too closed and not flexible.

Guys, is has a pellet launching gun, that accessory will not be allowed in schools except for in upper level classes in very controlled situations. It’s even banned in ND and DC because of that!

I purchased 15 Arduino MBots when RadioShack went under and we are using them in middle school robotics club. There are other types out there to that are totally suitable and much better for K-12.

Why? Not a uas.

To get the most fun out of it you would need a couple of buddies with S1s to play with. I do think the Coding aspect is great especially in terms of getting kids to learn Python which is becoming more mainstream and is a very powerful and versatile programming language.

Guys, is has a pellet launching gun, that accessory will not be allowed in schools except for in upper level classes in very controlled situations. It’s even banned in ND and DC because of that!

I purchased 15 Arduino MBots when RadioShack went under and we are using them in middle school robotics club. There are other types out there to that are totally suitable and much better for K-12.
Well said, then, what is the sole purpose for the existence of this S1 Robotic Robomaster... I'm starting to think that DJI has drop the ball on this one.

I would think that the gel beads are safe but, in any case, make everyone wear safety glasses. Quote from the DJI site follows:-

"For added safety, the Blaster uses non-toxic
gel bead projectiles and even features limitations on launching rate and angle."

The blaster can shoot only gel beads and infrared pulses.

If I have $500 dollars to spend in anything. I would rather get a better phone or tablet or even a DJI goggle.

I would think that the gel beads are safe but, in any case, make everyone wear safety glasses. Quote from the DJI site follows:-

gel bead projectiles and even features limitations on launching rate and angle."

You are right, goggles and older supervised students would be ok. It launches the gel beads at 26 m/s (58mph), but can only lift its muzzle 10 degrees from level, so it wouldnt pose much of a threat to standing or seated people unless perched off the ground. It does have some other cool features like autonomous course driving and such. As a teacher though, its really beyond practical for a class due to cost, but even more due to it’s limited design possibilities- giving students a bag of motors, hubs, belts, bearings, a processor board and miscellaneous sensors, along with legos or metal rods and sheets and hardware to design their own robot based on giving them a challenge goes so much further. I participated in the old NASA robot challenges and the students always had a blast. Too bad NASA can’t sponsor it anymore.

DJI is no slouch when it comes to marketing and understanding what people want. I think that this move is smart mainly because it's not affected by all of the hullabaloo going on with drones and airspace restrictions. Furthermore, there will be no problems associated with public opinion etc.

And I don't think DJI cares too much about whether or not schools get on board - there will be plenty of interest in this product. My crystal ball tells me that they will sell a lot of these things and also make a lot of profit from the consumables and accessories.

Reactions: Thomas B and AMann

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki