DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Solar charging batteries

I have never used one, but I don't think you will have very good luck with any of them. Drones have large high-capacity batteries and portable solar chargers are basically trickle chargers. It will take you forever to charge a large battery.

I have tried many different ways to solar charge Mavic batteries without success. I bought a Parrot Anafi and I am able to charge its batteries with a 60W folding solar panel.

Ah good to hear
Where can I find those how much are they. How long does the charging take ? Or do you mean you bought a parrot and use that now ?
Please let me know !

Eric

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
You are better off using a solar charger to charge a large capacity 12v deep cycle or gel cell battery and using that to power a 12v car cigarette plug DJI battery charger. I have a 100watt solar battery charger for my truck to charge a second battery while we’re camping, and use that to charge my DJI batteries when Im in remote areas off grid.

You are better off using a solar charger to charge a large capacity 12v deep cycle or gel cell battery and using that to power a 12v car cigarette plug DJI battery charger. I have a 100watt solar battery charger for my truck to charge a second battery while we’re camping, and use that to charge my DJI batteries when Im in remote areas off grid.

Do you have a link to it please ?
How heavy is it ?
Thanks

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Do you have a link to it please ?
How heavy is it ?
Thanks

Heres mine: https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Monoc...1423038&s=gateway&sprefix=100watt+sola&sr=8-6

And they sell a folding version that makes a briefcase:

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Monoc...1423038&s=gateway&sprefix=100watt+sola&sr=8-7

The heavy part is the battery - I got a 12v 35amp deep cycle electric wheelchair battery for my accessories for camping, its a second and was on sale as one of the posts ceacked near the top. Call local mobility stores for these, they often have cheap ones laying about!

Edit: I forgot, I also use a step up transformer that outputs constant 13.9v from a 12v battery that allows the Mavic car charger to run when the battery voltage starts to go low:

DC-DC step up converter 9-14V to 13.8V 15A 207Wmax power supply converter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AW1JLI8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dQuECbWZEEE1E

Last edited:
Ah good to hear
Where can I find those how much are they. How long does the charging take ? Or do you mean you bought a parrot and use that now ?
Please let me know !

Eric
I bought a Parrot Anafi because its batteries can be charged by 5v USB which is available from my solar panel. I am using the 60 Watt version of this one.

Waterproof 100W Foldable Solar Panel 12V Battery Charger for Phone USB Devices | eBay

It takes about 1 1/2 hours to charge the Anafi battery depending on how bright it is outside and the angle to the sun. This panel has two outputs, 5v and 18v. The 18v output will not charge the Mavic battery using the car charger. The Mavic car charger requires more than 12v. If you plug it into your cigarette lighter socket in the car, it will not work unless the engine is actually running and the voltage is above 13v. It would not work just connecting to a 12v battery. It will shut off if the voltage gets too high (over 16v.)
That's why I have switched to the Anafi for my extended trips away from power.

Last edited:
I bought a Parrot Anafi because its batteries can be charged by 5v USB which is available from my solar panel. I am using the 60 Watt version of this one.

Waterproof 100W Foldable Solar Panel 12V Battery Charger for Phone USB Devices | eBay

It takes about 1 1/2 hours to charge the Anafi battery depending on how bright it is outside and the angle to the sun. This panel has two outputs, 5v and 18v. The 18v output will not charge the Mavic battery using the car charger. The Mavic car charger requires more than 12v. If you plug it into your cigarette lighter socket in the car, it will not work unless the engine is actually running and the voltage is above 13v. It would not work just connecting to a 12v battery. It will shut off if the voltage gets too high (over 16v.)
That's why I have switched to the Anafi for my extended trips away from power.

I use one of these step up converters- converts about about 10v -14v from a battery to 13.9v. -perfect for when your car is running or not, or just using a stand alone battery/solar charge unit. It does run a Mavic car charger when the car is not running.

DC-DC step up converter 9-14V to 13.8V 15A 207Wmax power supply converter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AW1JLI8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dQuECbWZEEE1E

That is the only quasi simple way to do it without some rather precise technical knowledge. In order to direct charge a DJI battery from solar, you would need a programmable charge controller and a 100 watt solar panel that outputs high enough voltage in excess of that required by your battery.

Personally I would opt for AMann’s setup unless you want to do a lot of research.

I have custom solution using a high capacity ebike battery along with a 48 volt inverter. The ebike battery has enough capacity to charge my mp2 batteries at least 10 times. Plus I can charge my ebike battery using solar. Here is my set up.
1ac1b1a0ffbc02d300453356d837f83c.jpg

9d7ba54bd0720aea9fb6e621136ef944.jpg

Reactions: AMann
We were having problems keeping our rv batteries charged while in storage until we used the Suner Power Charger. Hooked it up and it worked great. Perfect solution at a reasonable price. Super easy to install. Couldn't be happier!

Does anyone have experience using a portable solar charger for your batteries?

Which solar charger do you use?

Cheers

I've had good success with the Jackery 50 watt solar panel combined with the Explorer 240 power station. Also use it to charge my phone and power my laptop. While the panel claims to be 50 watts, I've never seen it go past 32 watts in the over-head Arizona sun. It's easy to use, just use the solar panel to charge the Power Station then plug your battery charger into the power station to charge your batteries. You can also charge via USB directly from the panels.

Edit: I did a test this afternoon and charging a MP2 battery from 55% to full and controller from 80%to full took about 55 minutes and took 16% of the Power Station storage. However, when charging the MP2 battery with the solar panel charging the power station, it was able to increase power storage rather than lose power storage.

Here's a video review (not mine):

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki