DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Solution to M2P Flight Record problems!

Rangerider

Reactions
This is a roundabout solution to the problems many have noted with flight records on the DJI Mavic 2 Pro and other similar models. I hope this is not too redundant but it worked for me.

I was able to solve the problem with flight records not being downloadable to my PC today. I had to install an app on the SC(smart controller) from AirData.com. They sell drone flight insurance. I had to register to get an account with them but it was FREE! At least for 6 months or 100 flights! Once I had an account and downloaded the app onto my SC, I then uploaded flight records from the SC to the AirData.com account. Then I logged into the new account and viewed each desired flight record and was easily able to download the original flight records onto my computer in .txt format. This was all done for my purpose of getting an updated insurance quote from them for my M2P. Was it a pita that I should not have had to go through? Yes! DJI tech support was unable to help me figure out why neither of my computers was able to detect my connected drone and therefore I was unable to transfer .txt flight records to get insurance quotes and for flight analysis. Now that I have done that, I like the SkyWatch.AI user interface and flight analysis tools. Kinda cool. It is a nice interface tool for flight analysis. I really hope that DJI hasn't allowed this problem to persist for so many people in order to allow yet another cottage industry to blossom due to DJI's willingness to allow their software to waste customers time. I do like the drone and enjoy its capabilities but there are numerous improvements that could be done to make customers more satisfied with their products. Maybe it doesn't matter much since in 3 years we will all be commercial users or recreational users relegated to a tiny control box designated by the Feds and their corporate masters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spartan Drones
Check out AIRDATA.COM. Your flights will auto upload there and save. you can view online or download the .txt file.
Sorry, I meant to say AirData.com in my original post. You are correct. I will edit my original post now. Thanks.

It is a sad testimony for DJI that another company (assuming the two companies have no business arrangement) has to provide a simple fix to enable the flight records to be extracted for customer use. Of course, AirData provides much more in the way of flight analysis and easy to use interface for the data. I like what they do and will probably end up paying for the service they provide. DJI has a long history of problems with their firmware in this area which can be found by searching the forums here. Not to mention that their tech support s**ks.

Last edited:
Reactions: SparePartz
I have the SC also and tried for days to download flight records to my PC win 10 with no luck at all. Found AIRDATA.COM a few weeks ago and subsciribed FREE. Really glad I found that site.

Last edited:
It is a sad testimony for DJI that another company (assuming the two companies have no business arrangement) has to provide a simple fix to enable the flight records to be extracted for customer use.
Or you could follow these instructions that work for may users who aren't looking for something to complain about DJI and their terrible practices.

Or you could follow these instructions that work for may users who aren't looking for something to complain about DJI and their terrible practices.
Cool.
This works for M2 also?

I'm not just looking for something to complain about regarding DJI. Please note the other forum member reply above commenting on the same issue and having to resort to a third party solution. I complain because something doesn't work as advertised. Since the last firmware upgrade I have experienced a loss of communication between my Smart(?) Controller and my computer and DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic. I have conversed with DJI tech support on line (try that sometime if you want to waste some time online) and they diagnosed my comm loss as a bad comm cable. I bought a brand spanking new high end cable and it still doesn't work! I can use the stock cable to communicate with the M2P and DJI Assistant so it is clearly not a cable problem. There are many others who have complained about the problems of communication with the Smart controller to access flight records. DJI should be able to resolve these problems with their tech support but they haven't so far. I am open to any suggestions but so far recently my SC is incommunicado since the last firmware upgrade. Your solution won't work for me but thanks anyway.

I have two computers both running Windows 10 64 bit. Neither one of them will will identify the smart controller on either usb 2 or 3 connections. One of them notes an 'unidentifiable' device. I have in the past been able to connect the Smart Controller with both computers using DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic but not since the last firmware upgrade. I don't know if I am the only person experiencing this problem but judging from other threads on the same topic I am not alone with this problema.

Last edited:
It may be a missing driver, see my earlier post:
SC to Win10 via USB
I have no doubt that might be the problem. I looked at your post and my computer doesn't show any unknown device under Portable in Device Mgr. There is no 'windows 'ding' when connecting the SC to the computer. I only get a screen on the SC saying that the device is charging too slowly. I used to see the screen asking the 3 questions one of which was 'do you want to transfer files?' but that doesn't happen for me any more. I don't know why. Possibly a Windows 10 update? In any case, I will use the AirData app on the SC to upload files if I need them for now. Thanks.

I have no doubt that might be the problem. I looked at your post and my computer doesn't show any unknown device under Portable in Device Mgr. There is no 'windows 'ding' when connecting the SC to the computer. I only get a screen on the SC saying that the device is charging too slowly. I used to see the screen asking the 3 questions one of which was 'do you want to transfer files?' but that doesn't happen for me any more. I don't know why. Possibly a Windows 10 update? In any case, I will use the AirData app on the SC to upload files if I need them for now. Thanks.
I had the same exact
problem and solved it yesterday. The below is copied from another forum.

(On SC you will need Developer Options unlocked...
Go to settings and scroll down to About Remote Controller... Tap it.
Now scroll down to System Version and tap it 7 times to unlock Developer Options.
Go back and it will be in your list.
Make sure Developer Options = On
scroll down to USB debugging and make sure = On)
After you do this and get the 3 questions be sure to select "transfer files"

Reactions: Rangerider
I had the same exact
problem and solved it yesterday. The below is copied from another forum.

(On SC you will need Developer Options unlocked...
Go to settings and scroll down to About Remote Controller... Tap it.
Now scroll down to System Version and tap it 7 times to unlock Developer Options.
Go back and it will be in your list.
Make sure Developer Options = On
scroll down to USB debugging and make sure = On)
After you do this and get the 3 questions be sure to select "transfer files"
Wow that worked! Thanks for the solution! I don't know how you figured that out but you are far better than DJI Tech unSupport! Thanks SP! Hopefully others will read this solution and save themselves time and frustration! I am awarding you the Gold Star M2P Tech Support badge!?

Wow that worked! Thanks for the solution! I don't know how you figured that out but you are far better than DJI Tech unSupport! Thanks SP! Hopefully others will read this solution and save themselves time and frustration! I am awarding you the Gold Star M2P Tech Support badge!?
Glad it worked for you also. Wish I could take the credit but I copied that from a thread in the DJI Mavic Forum posted by PhantomPil yesterday evening.. I know how you feel about FINALLY finding a solution. I fought it for more than a month. I'll take the badge tho. lol. Safe flying.

Glad it worked for you also. Wish I could take the credit but I copied that from a thread in the DJI Mavic Forum posted by PhantomPil yesterday evening.. I know how you feel about FINALLY finding a solution. I fought it for more than a month. I'll take the badge tho. lol. Safe flying.
I found the thread on DJI Forum that you are referring to here: Windows 10 Not Recognizing Smart Controller
It seems that quite a few others are having the same problema with their Smart Controllers! The solution fixes a problem in the SC and is not caused by your laptop or desktop computer, it is a fix that requires resetting the factory settings to the SC.

See my post #15 of this thread.

I found the thread on DJI Forum that you are referring to here: Windows 10 Not Recognizing Smart Controller
It seems that quite a few others are having the same problema with their Smart Controllers! The solution fixes a problem in the SC and is not caused by your laptop or desktop computer, it is a fix that requires resetting the factory settings to the SC.
To be honest ,I think the first time I plugged the usb cable, it came up with the 3 options, the default was "charge unit" or something and I just exit out not sure what to do. I think that is where I screwed up. I feel you are as relieved as I to Finally find the solution

Reactions: Rangerider
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DvrkDrone