DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some GPS Observations

So the only change between 0600 and 0601, is "further GPS acquisition improvement" right?
Also you get 3X Zoom in normal mode. With 0600 you only get unto 2X zoom and must go to explore mode to go higher

Well after a weekend of flying I've figured one thing about about my M3 and RC Pro...If I have the RC Pro connected to my phone hotspot with Wifi I can acquire Sat Lock around 2 minutes. If RC Pro has no internet it takes 4-5 minutes...Here is wrench in the program, I'm new to the RC Pro. About 3 weeks. Prior I used the Stock controller with an Android phone that had cell service and it didn't speed my sat locks.
I can report the same. Sat lock on stock controller with iPad 5th gen (or Samsung S22 Ultra) is 4-5 minutes. Got the RC Pro this week and it dropped to just under 2 minutes with an Internet connection.

I can report the same. Sat lock on stock controller with iPad 5th gen (or Samsung S22 Ultra) is 4-5 minutes. Got the RC Pro this week and it dropped to just under 2 minutes with an Internet connection.
Same here! RC-Pro is always under two minutes with in internet connection.

Reactions: Atkas
Thank you Suren . . . after my last visit to the DJI forum and the disrespectful normality of it all (not to mention the un-throttled threats going unchecked). . . I can't risk my sanity (over there) anymore 😞. I'll get my info directly from you sir ;).
The DJI official forum has gone insane.

Yeah Tony I actually like reading. I've read your post over there trying to provide positive optimism but the lack of policing leads to the anarchy that we see. They do (however) reference this forum quite often as a respected reference.

Reactions: TonyPHX and Bussty
That's true and sad at the same time. It seems there are some people, probably with multiple accounts, determined to wreak havoc. As a result, finding useful information there has become very difficult.

Reactions: TonyPHX
I understand that both the ipad and the s22 had a connection to the internet?

Quick question on the M3 GPS issue, some of the comments suggest it is only the first startup of the day that takes 5+ minutes. What are people seeing for GPS lock times when you do a battery swap? Is this really only a once a day issue? Even if you move locations and start up again? I am not trying to minimize the issue, but if it once a day, I can plan for it much easier. Thanks.

Quick question on the M3 GPS issue, some of the comments suggest it is only the first startup of the day that takes 5+ minutes. What are people seeing for GPS lock times when you do a battery swap? Is this really only a once a day issue? Even if you move locations and start up again? I am not trying to minimize the issue, but if it once a day, I can plan for it much easier. Thanks.
GPS needs to know where the satellites are. And for a non-internet connected GPS, it gets that information from “ephemerides” and “almanacs” that are broadcast along with the time signals from the GPS satellites. The almanac has gross position data for each satellite. The ephemerides has much more precise position data as well as data on which satellites are unhealthy and should be ignored. Because they’re broadcast in a very low bandwidth “subframe” it can take up to 10-15 minutes to download the whole thing. The almanac is valid for 90 days, and the ephemerides are only good for a couple of hours. So if your GPS was off for long enough that the almanac is out of date it may take longer to download everything.

If your gps is internet connected it can download at least the almanac over the internet and possible a nearly up to date ephemerides and speed up the process of determining the exact position of each satellite.

The GPS receiver usually remembers the last position when it was turned off, so if you recently turned the device off and then turned it back on at the same place it will catch the signal sooner

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Gregors
It is only the first flight. As long as all subsequent flights are in the same area within 40 minutes of each other, it will be almost instantaneous. Battery swaps are always instantaneous. The issue has been grossly blown out of proportion! It should be minimized! Just allow a few extra minutes for the first Home Point setting of the day with a separate battery, which you can then top off, and fly with later in the day.

Reactions: The_Gregors
Just got my M3 yesterday. I get lock within 1-2 minutes with latest fireware.

I am using my phone which has cell data. DJI says it will be faster. I guess so.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I also think so.

Today i wait 10. Minutes to be able to fly. Dzizs.

I am to late to returning mine…its 4. Month old. But i will wait another week..and if there will not be some news from dji then i will sell it. And loos many money.
Its unaceptable that DJI dont say nothing.

Thanx
Maybe you can send it back to DJI and make them fix it or refund you?

I appreciate the science behind the problem and look forward to the solution. The Mad's Tech video is awesome and going to watch the full thing after dinner tonight. This is great stuff!

I updated my firmware last week. Using an iPhone with a connection to 4G it was previously on the order of 4 mins or more. I am now using the new firmware with a TriplTek Pro 8 on the standard controller and no 4G SIM card and find it has enough satellites to lock the home point in about 2 minutes the first time I turn it on. This is hardly a scientific test, but so far it seems well improved.

Now I wait for Airsense to begin working. I have flown just outside of a Class D airspace and have seen several aircraft, but have yet to get an Airsense warning.

Same here! RC-Pro is always under two minutes with in internet connection.
I don’t have an RC pro, when you say an internet connection what do you mean by that? Do you turn your phone into a hotspot and connect the RC Pro, or can you buy an internet plan for the RC Pro?

I don’t have an RC pro, when you say an internet connection what do you mean by that? Do you turn your phone into a hotspot and connect the RC Pro, or can you buy an internet plan for the RC Pro?
The former, rather than the latter, or just be within reach of your home wifi when flying.

I dont know what is the point..

I test now one week on the same spot mavic 3. One day i get home point in 5 minutes other day 8 minutes and so on. Not one time before 5.minutes. Today i get home point on the same spot in 45 secound.

Last edited:
Reactions: ExtremeElementz
I dont know what is the point..

I test now one week on the same spot mavic 3. One day i get home point in 5 minutes other day 8 minutes and so on. Not one time before 5.minutes. Today i get home point on the same spot in 45 secound.
I'd call that a significant improvement! Enjoy it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gebert94403