DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Something attacked my drone!

adam3112

Reactions
Hi guys,

I was flying my MP at the Dover white cliffs on Saturday, getting some nice pics and video and at one point in the flight I was lining up to get a photo of the lighthouse. All of a sudden my drone started wobbling around as though something had crashed in to it.

Even though I could see the lighthouse from where I was standing, my drone was about 1200 feet away from me at 200 ft altitude, so it was too small to see clearly with the naked eye and so I didn't see anything approach it.

I figured that a bird was attacking it, probably a Seagull, so almost instantly I stuck it in to Sport and tried to floor it back to me. Whilst doing so, my Mavic was still being knocked around from whatever it was in 2 or 3 second intervals and I was struggling to maintain direction. Whilst this was happening I saw something white in the far top right hand corner of the image on my screen. I figured that Sport mode was not outrunning whatever it is attacking the Mavic and was thinking any sec now its going to drop out the sky.

My heart was pounding fast in my chest and after about 15-20 seconds, the shaking had stopped and it was on it's way back to me. I was still in shock and was preparing to see some serious damage to my drone.

I Got it back and checked it for damage. Apart from some very minor scratches on the blades, it was absolutely fine. I was bloody lucky!

The Mavic Pro is clever and must have a sensor built in to start recording a clip when something hits it.

I wasn't recording at the time but it auto-recorded a 3 second clip at the first impact which doesn't save to the sd card, only within the dji go app.

Here it is: 2019_03_30_16_02_33 - Streamable

So lucky!

Hi guys,

I was flying my MP at the Dover white cliffs on Saturday, getting some nice pics and video and at one point in the flight I was lining up to get a photo of the lighthouse. All of a sudden my drone started wobbling around as though something had crashed in to it.

Even though I could see the lighthouse from where I was standing, my drone was about 1200 feet away from me at 200 ft altitude, so it was too small to see clearly with the naked eye and so I didn't see anything approach it.

I figured that a bird was attacking it, probably a Seagull, so almost instantly I stuck it in to Sport and tried to floor it back to me. Whilst doing so, my Mavic was still being knocked around from whatever it was in 2 or 3 second intervals and I was struggling to maintain direction. Whilst this was happening I saw something white in the far top right hand corner of the image on my screen. I figured that Sport mode was not outrunning whatever it is attacking the Mavic and was thinking any sec now its going to drop out the sky.

My heart was pounding fast in my chest and after about 15-20 seconds, the shaking had stopped and it was on it's way back to me. I was still in shock and was preparing to see some serious damage to my drone.

I Got it back and checked it for damage. Apart from some very minor scratches on the blades, it was absolutely fine. I was bloody lucky!

The Mavic Pro is clever and must have a sensor built in to start recording a clip when something hits it.

I wasn't recording at the time but it auto-recorded a 3 second clip at the first impact which doesn't save to the sd card, only within the dji go app.

So lucky!

I’ve had this happen several times. It looks like a gimbal reset due to a 64 gig SD card.

Have also had it happen several times but that don't explain the scratched blades he said he had
unless they already were and he hadn't noticed that and the recording don't seem right as that hasn't happened to me when mine did that.

I’ve had this happen several times. It looks like a gimbal reset due to a 64 gig SD card.

is there anything in the flight data that can confirm this?

I'm sceptical this was the case as my drone was being physically spun around and moved off course whilst flying back. My flight record shows this on the flight path.

I'm quite familiar with the gimble reset motion (being similar to that of when you start up the drone) but it wasn't really doing that on screen whilst this was going on.

It might show what really happened if you post your flight data . Some of these guys are great reading them .

Reactions: fleurdelisxliv
Hi guys,

So lucky!
Wow.. !! Thats some wobble..!

I've had birds get way to close for comfort, most of the time they were just curious I believe. However I have had one start doing really close fly byes several times that got me very nervous. I was told somewhere if birds become a threat to quickly increase your altitude and then get out of there. Birds apparently can't (or don't) fly straight up. So increasing altitude takes a lot longer for the bird vs. the drone.

It looks like a bird strike. Unless it was a microburst in which case your drone would be scattered about. The only logical thing it could be is a bird. Depending on the season, a nesting couple would defend their territory quite aggressively. Even the tiniest of birds would attack.

I've had birds get way to close for comfort, most of the time they were just curious I believe. However I have had one start doing really close fly byes several times that got me very nervous. I was told somewhere if birds become a threat to quickly increase your altitude and then get out of there. Birds apparently can't (or don't) fly straight up. So increasing altitude takes a lot longer for the bird vs. the drone.

The only issue I have with the idea of ascending in these situations, especially if you cannot see the drone clearly, is the bird could be directly above.

The drone would just crash straight in to it potentially causing more damage no?

The only issue I have with the idea of ascending in these situations, especially if you cannot see the drone clearly, is the bird could be directly above.

The drone would just crash straight in to it potentially causing more damage no?
Yes anything is possible, but I'm a gambling man lol. I take my chances they'll dodge it as it ascends vs. being on the same level. Listen I'm not pretending to know the answer, just offering my 2 cents. I could be wrong?

adam3112
I live in a squirrel infested town called Winder , Georgia .
Hawks love this buffet . So far , I have been very fortunate .
When a hawk has been present or just showed up during a flight , they have screeched loud enough to warn me .
I will immediately bring my unit in to safety .
Congrats on the save . No matter what caused this .

Reactions: adam3112
I should have the flight log up in about an hours time.

I'm keen to get some assurance that it isn't a mechanical fault, but more than that, I want to get some indication of what was actually happening. :(

Last edited:
Yes anything is possible, but I'm a gambling man lol. I take my chances they'll dodge it as it ascends vs. being on the same level. Listen I'm not pretending to know the answer, just offering my 2 cents. I could be wrong?

All advice is good advice imo. I can definitely see why ascending is a good idea, but as I had no clear VLOS (shhh) I wasn't able to tell if there was something above the Mavic.

As far as I know the hummingbird is the only bird that can fly straight up. I hereby challenge all hummingbirds to square off with my MP (although not all at once). LOL...anyway I'm reasonably sure most if not all birds would dodge the craft if coming up straight at them, but again, I could be mistaken?

Here's my flight data.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Please can someone use their magic and tell me what happened?

The issue started around the 8 minute 10 secs mark, just before I flicked it in to sport.

Cheers

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-03-30_[15-54-30].txt
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 2019-03-30_15-52-34_FLY089.DAT
    6.8 MB · Views: 26
It was a gimbal reset:

484.498 : 34010 [L-GIMBAL]The 1st gimbal 0 disconnect
Gosh I feel embarrased now. Thanks Sar. It looked so convincing to me that something was going seriously wrong. I’m glad it wasn’t!

Is this quite a common thing and Is there any reason why this happens mid-flight?

Reactions: sgrinavi
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky