DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Soon to be Pilot...

Doesn't a Zino use a phone to control it? Maybe that one is a no no for you if it does.

How about buying a smart controller - expensive I know - but think of the future for a minute.

The smart controller will match a number of DJI aircraft and in the future you will no doubt want a Mavic and the smart controller will match the Mavics.

What drones does the dji smart controller work?

The following aircraft can be added and managed in Aircraft Management on the SC. Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom, Mavic 2 Enterprise, and Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual. More will no doubt be added.

So what if you don't like the SC. Well, you can always sell it. They command a high second hand price so you won't lose out much.

I have a smart controller with my Mavic 2 Pro and what a brilliant controller it is too. Far better than the Heath Robinson lash ups of rip off priced Iphones and others but that's my opinion.

So, if you can settle for one of the aircraft above you not only future proof but have more built in safety aspects and one of the most important one is being able to see a clear FPV on the screen.

Small print
The above is my opinion based on past experience and I am sticking to it so any contradictory opinions from anyone else will be ignored. ;)

Thanks for the ideas. The zino does have its own controller / phone combo. I feel that after using this for awhile, I will end up with a mavic enayways.

Welcome to the Fourm!

Instead of buying a Tello, spend the money on an extra battery. What you learn flying the Tello will not really translate to a Mavic, besides the basics of flying smart, due to the different way they are controlled. Learning has really more to do with becoming familiar and comfortable with the controller and how the Mavic reacts to it.

That's a very good point. My new thoughts are that due to the wind around my area and the fact that I'm a new flyer, I would want either the air or the air 2. I know that the air and air 2 could still have problems with the wind. I feel that the air is priced close enough to the air 2 that it makes sense to go with the air 2.

I really want a drone for photography purposes (stills) and even the pro 2's quality is okay compared to what I shoot with. I feel that the 48mp on the air 2 is a bit of a gimmick. 48mp on such a small sensor doesn't produce high-quality photos. However, I am impressed with the quality of the stills, just not too excited about them.

I'm also having difficulty with whether or not I will use it enough to justify the price. I live with 5 miles of an airport, so I will have to request permission each time I fly it in my neighborhood.

...I'm also having difficulty with whether or not I will use it enough to justify the price. I live with 5 miles of an airport, so I will have to request permission each time I fly it in my neighborhood.
Once the nervousness wears off, you get comfortable with it, and you don't crash it, the experience and fun of flying will justify the price. As for the airport, do some checking. It is no longer just within 5 miles but the distance and orientation to the runways that matter. If you post your location someone more learned than myself could give you guidance. Since flying in your neighborhood may cause conflicts and will soon get old anyway that may not be much of a factor.

Once the nervousness wears off, you get comfortable with it, and you don't crash it, the experience and fun of flying will justify the price. As for the airport, do some checking. It is no longer just within 5 miles but the distance and orientation to the runways that matter. If you post your location someone more learned than myself could give you guidance. Since flying in your neighborhood may cause conflicts and will soon get old anyway that may not be much of a factor.

Thanks. I would rather not post my location. I did call the airport about a couple of weeks ago. I was unable to talk to the tower, but the person who answered the phone said they do have LAANC. So I attempted a mock flight on the airmap app. My request was accepted, so I assume its okay. However, just using common sense tells me that I will not fly too high are far around my house. I suppose the Airsense is another reason to purchase the Air .

Hi everyone,

My name is Chris. I have been heavily researching drones lately. I have no flying experience except for a toy drone without FPV that I flew years ago for a couple of days. I'm getting ready to purchase my first drone and I have been bouncing back and forth between the Mini and the Air 2. On paper besides the weight, the Air 2 is superior, however, I am nervous about flying and losing the drone... Who isn't? My two main concerns are wind and interference.

The wind can be erratic were I live, however, I have some experience in weather forecasting. I have found a mixed consensus on MINI fly-aways, some say it's not a problem and others say they would never fly with it again.

I will obey the visual line of sight rule so the distance capability isn't a concern of mine. I am concerned about interference, I live in a suburban setting where everyone has their own wifi. I have watch plenty of videos demonstrating what to do when interference causes problems with the drones. I don't want to buy the mini only to find that it's impossible to fly around my house. Would occusync be that much better in my situation?

What do you recommend?

Thanks
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! If you can swing it the MA2 is the way to go, Fly safe and have fun!

Thanks. I would rather not post my location. I did call the airport about a couple of weeks ago. I was unable to talk to the tower, but the person who answered the phone said they do have LAANC. So I attempted a mock flight on the airmap app. My request was accepted, so I assume its okay. However, just using common sense tells me that I will not fly too high are far around my house. I suppose the Airsense is another reason to purchase the Air .
Calling tower is no longer done for clearance. Get an app... I like AirMap. Many are happy with Kittyhawk. Follow the directions.
If you need a long term clearance the FAA can grant it for a designated area for 2 years... easy.

Reactions: Ars3nal3432
Calling tower is no longer done for clearance. Get an app... I like AirMap. Many are happy with Kittyhawk. Follow the directions.
If you need a long term clearance the FAA can grant it for a designated area for 2 years... easy.

good to know about the long term clearance, thanks

Thanks for all the advice. Yesterday, I went on Best Buy and I put the Mavic Air 2 combo in a cart just to see the final price with tax... I before I knew it, I bought it hahaha. I can't wait. The shipping may take a while, but I'm still learning a lot on the forums and on youtube.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada