DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Soon to be Pilot...

Ars3nal3432

Reactions
Hi everyone,

My name is Chris. I have been heavily researching drones lately. I have no flying experience except for a toy drone without FPV that I flew years ago for a couple of days. I'm getting ready to purchase my first drone and I have been bouncing back and forth between the Mini and the Air 2. On paper besides the weight, the Air 2 is superior, however, I am nervous about flying and losing the drone... Who isn't? My two main concerns are wind and interference.

The wind can be erratic were I live, however, I have some experience in weather forecasting. I have found a mixed consensus on MINI fly-aways, some say it's not a problem and others say they would never fly with it again.

I will obey the visual line of sight rule so the distance capability isn't a concern of mine. I am concerned about interference, I live in a suburban setting where everyone has their own wifi. I have watch plenty of videos demonstrating what to do when interference causes problems with the drones. I don't want to buy the mini only to find that it's impossible to fly around my house. Would occusync be that much better in my situation?

What do you recommend?

Thanks

welcome to the forum,its like comparing chalk and cheese between the MM and MA2, although the MA2 costs more, in terms of performance and signal stability between the RC and AC then its a no brainer

Welcome to the forum.

Always buy the best you can afford.

It is an all round win win if you buy an occusync equipped aircraft seeing there is lots of Wi-Fi in your area.

How about a zoom or a Mavic 2

I suggest this because they seem to tolerate wind very well but if you only want to fly around in your house have a look at a Tello.

Good luck

Welcome to the forum! :)

The wind can be erratic were I live, however, I have some experience in weather forecasting
Unless you're able to accurately forecast the wind high up in the sky at the location where you'll be flying, then you probably don't want to go with a drone that doesn't handle high wind well (e.g. the Mavic Mini). The Mavic Air 2 is the obvious choice in this case.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . :)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum. You will find plenty of support and helpful advice. We look forward to seeing your part of the world.

Thank you for the responses. I am leaning towards the Mavic Air 2, but I'm still up in the air (no pun intended haha). Sometimes I think why not just buy a Tello (mentioned by a member) or a similar cheap drone. Learn to fly with that and then buy a pro or the Air 2. Although the issue I have with the tello is you control it with the phone. Maybe a zino or something like that?

Anyways, I have lots of searching to do and I look forward to interacting with everyone.

Welcome soon new to be pilot. Don't be so nervous these drones today almost fly them self the most important thing is COMMAN SENCE and know yours and the drones limit other tha that take your time when you get it and enjoy. Other than that it's a whole new world and get ready to spend money in a good sence.

I'm about to be a new pilot as well. Decided to get a Mavic Air with the fly more bundle, currently on sale at Best Buy for $699. I had been eyeing a mini, but decided to get the Air when the deal popped up. As a new drone pilot I don't mind to fly last gen technology, and have not seen many deals on DJI equipment.

Will be picking up my drone this Friday.

I'm about to be a new pilot as well. Decided to get a Mavic Air with the fly more bundle, currently on sale at Best Buy for $699. I had been eyeing a mini, but decided to get the Air when the deal popped up. As a new drone pilot I don't mind to fly last gen technology, and have not seen many deals on DJI equipment.

Will be picking up my drone this Friday.

That's another route I was thinking about, but for me an extra $300-$400 is worth it for the Air2

Welcome to the Forum! As stated above, if your main concerns are signal and camera quality, I would spend the extra money and get the Air 2. If you would like, shoot us a message and I'd be happy to answer any questions and send you some quotes to make sure you get into the right set up.

Thanks,
FDS Team

Although the issue I have with the tello is you control it with the phone.

Maybe a zino or something like that?

Doesn't a Zino use a phone to control it? Maybe that one is a no no for you if it does.

How about buying a smart controller - expensive I know - but think of the future for a minute.

The smart controller will match a number of DJI aircraft and in the future you will no doubt want a Mavic and the smart controller will match the Mavics.

What drones does the dji smart controller work?

The following aircraft can be added and managed in Aircraft Management on the SC. Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom, Mavic 2 Enterprise, and Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual. More will no doubt be added.

So what if you don't like the SC. Well, you can always sell it. They command a high second hand price so you won't lose out much.

I have a smart controller with my Mavic 2 Pro and what a brilliant controller it is too. Far better than the Heath Robinson lash ups of rip off priced Iphones and others but that's my opinion.

So, if you can settle for one of the aircraft above you not only future proof but have more built in safety aspects and one of the most important one is being able to see a clear FPV on the screen.

Small print
The above is my opinion based on past experience and I am sticking to it so any contradictory opinions from anyone else will be ignored. ;)

Welcome to the Fourm!
... Sometimes I think why not just buy a Tello (mentioned by a member) or a similar cheap drone. Learn to fly with that and then buy a pro or the Air 2...
Instead of buying a Tello, spend the money on an extra battery. What you learn flying the Tello will not really translate to a Mavic, besides the basics of flying smart, due to the different way they are controlled. Learning has really more to do with becoming familiar and comfortable with the controller and how the Mavic reacts to it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78