DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Southern California - L.A. area 323/213/818

New owner in the Santa Monica area here. Sad to discover lots of areas I wanted to fly/film are restricted (Malibu, all national parks, beaches, etc), per this article. Hopefully, I'm just reading it wrong, but are all beaches really off limits??? Looking forward to hearing where everyone is flying. Can't wait to get it up in the air in Big Bear and I'm heading out to Mammoth this weekend.

I go out early morning to Malibu Bluffs (where the Little League field is) and nobody is there to bother you if you get there before 8:30 or so. Some nice stuff to shoot out there.

I go out early morning to Malibu Bluffs (where the Little League field is) and nobody is there to bother you if you get there before 8:30 or so. Some nice stuff to shoot out there.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. Yeah I think if you go early enough and don’t affect other people, that’s generally a good rule to follow.

Reactions: Advexure
So glad I came across this page.

Hey guys. First post..

Apologies.. I'm a bit of a fraud.. I'm not strictly a Mavic owner.. I bought a Spark. Go easy on me

Hope that's OK.

So I live in Sherman Oaks and am trying to get my head around everything. For information, this is the first drone I have ever owned and flown. Wow.

I think I've also broken the rules inadvertently a few times without realising. They don't really make it easy.

First time I flew my drone was the day I got it earlier this week. I just went up in the sky about 250 feet above my apartment. I felt terrified! Like I was doing something wrong and was about to have the feds at the door. Lol. I since then learned that I need to contact Van Nuys airport to inform them. So far so good.

I then just did a couple of low key flights after calling VN ATC. Nobody was answering the phone - either main number or the tower - so I left a voicemail message with my details and plans. I figured since this is just about notifying them, technically, I've done that. Again, just went up a little bit into the air but didn't realise helicopter pads also count. We have a few here including at the hospital but I have no idea who I contact or how (the hospital should be the easier of the three but the others look pretty vague on the various apps.) Has anybody else had any luck?

Yesterday, I took her up to Malibu and got some beautiful footage over Leo Carillo State Beach and then on the way home over the mountains in Calabasas in Topanga State Park. I now realise that I may have done something wrong because the Santa Monica Mountains is a national park but when it says you can fly them in State Parks, that's confusing.. (Topanga State Park and LC State Beach are in the SM Mountains.. so they kind of seem to fall under both categories.)

I feel very nervous using my drone.. I've read stories online of people having police helicopters circle their drones, squad cars, arrests, confiscations, arraignments and huge fines. I don't want to be that guy.

I've heard about the RC Club at Balboa. In fact, I used to go running there and wondered what all that noise was above me. I'm contemplating it but wonder if I have to be a member, if I take off and land there but can then move the drone around over the skies, or do I have to stay within a fixed location above me. Also, do I have to notify VN ATC and all the heliports too when there? It sounds like the RC Club may not be that nice an atmosphere either. Not so welcoming.

Has anyone here in Sherman Oaks navigated the complex world of where they can fly and if so, could you please give me your advice? I would so love to get some beautiful shots of this area. For reference, I'm up by where Ventura Blvd meets VN Blvd (by the Crave Cafe).

I'm currently loving my drone but also rather scared to use it. Every plane i see feels like it could be only 400 feet away but I'm sure it's not. Same with helicopters..

Thanks in advance

@LAPL for your first few sessions, I really recommend you go to the Apollo RC field because of the clear open space that is available. Granted, you may need to be curtious and take turns if there are a lot of fliers (ie, on weekends). There is a small rift between quad pilots and helis, but I think it's a matter of respect needed by both sides. (Just don't be a douche!!) Drones & quads fry on the Southend by the helipads. (The runways are for fixed wing craft).

You'll definitely want to test your range and features (e.g, RTH, auto flight manuvers) at a large area like Apollo

Flying in home settings, especially near tall buildings / apartments, you may put your self in a situation that poses a danger/risk. Say, you fly the Spark behind a building, loose LOS and RF connection and the drone auto returns but you can't see the tall tree between you and the LZ?

Once you get more comfortable about the controls and features and what it's like to loose the RF connection, then you can try more challenging areas.

I can't tell you how many videos where people crash because something goes unexpectedly and the pilot panics.

Edit: because of the recent fires in SoCal, just be aware of TFRs/T-NFZs in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties (amount others) for fire fighting air ops.

-McT

So glad I came across this page.

Hey guys. First post..

Apologies.. I'm a bit of a fraud.. I'm not strictly a Mavic owner.. I bought a Spark. Go easy on me

Hope that's OK.

So I live in Sherman Oaks and am trying to get my head around everything. For information, this is the first drone I have ever owned and flown. Wow.

I think I've also broken the rules inadvertently a few times without realising. They don't really make it easy.

First time I flew my drone was the day I got it earlier this week. I just went up in the sky about 250 feet above my apartment. I felt terrified! Like I was doing something wrong and was about to have the feds at the door. Lol. I since then learned that I need to contact Van Nuys airport to inform them. So far so good.

I then just did a couple of low key flights after calling VN ATC. Nobody was answering the phone - either main number or the tower - so I left a voicemail message with my details and plans. I figured since this is just about notifying them, technically, I've done that. Again, just went up a little bit into the air but didn't realise helicopter pads also count. We have a few here including at the hospital but I have no idea who I contact or how (the hospital should be the easier of the three but the others look pretty vague on the various apps.) Has anybody else had any luck?

Yesterday, I took her up to Malibu and got some beautiful footage over Leo Carillo State Beach and then on the way home over the mountains in Calabasas in Topanga State Park. I now realise that I may have done something wrong because the Santa Monica Mountains is a national park but when it says you can fly them in State Parks, that's confusing.. (Topanga State Park and LC State Beach are in the SM Mountains.. so they kind of seem to fall under both categories.)

I feel very nervous using my drone.. I've read stories online of people having police helicopters circle their drones, squad cars, arrests, confiscations, arraignments and huge fines. I don't want to be that guy.

I've heard about the RC Club at Balboa. In fact, I used to go running there and wondered what all that noise was above me. I'm contemplating it but wonder if I have to be a member, if I take off and land there but can then move the drone around over the skies, or do I have to stay within a fixed location above me. Also, do I have to notify VN ATC and all the heliports too when there? It sounds like the RC Club may not be that nice an atmosphere either. Not so welcoming.

Has anyone here in Sherman Oaks navigated the complex world of where they can fly and if so, could you please give me your advice? I would so love to get some beautiful shots of this area. For reference, I'm up by where Ventura Blvd meets VN Blvd (by the Crave Cafe).

I'm currently loving my drone but also rather scared to use it. Every plane i see feels like it could be only 400 feet away but I'm sure it's not. Same with helicopters..

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hey - thanks for this. Actually, I was up in Ventura County the other day.. I had my drone with me but there was no way I would have touched it with what's happening there.

I am thinking of going down to Huntington Beach tomorrow morning and getting some lovely shots of the pier. It looks stunning from others' videos.

Am I ok to do that, does anybody know? I've read various things about it being OK and their website doesn't say there are any restrictions. I know there is a power plant in one direction which I'll be sure to avoid though! anyone who knows this area would be great to hear from.. I live about 90 mins north, so I'll br driving down especially.

Also, just to add - I got through to Van Nuys ATC this morning. They told me I don't need to call them every time I go up. Just to stay safe and below the limit!

Hey - thanks for this. Actually, I was up in Ventura County the other day.. I had my drone with me but there was no way I would have touched it with what's happening there.

I am thinking of going down to Huntington Beach tomorrow morning and getting some lovely shots of the pier. It looks stunning from others' videos.

Am I ok to do that, does anybody know? I've read various things about it being OK and their website doesn't say there are any restrictions. I know there is a power plant in one direction which I'll be sure to avoid though! anyone who knows this area would be great to hear from.. I live about 90 mins north, so I'll br driving down especially.

Also, just to add - I got through to Van Nuys ATC this morning. They told me I don't need to call them every time I go up. Just to stay safe and below the limit!

There lots of restrictions at beaches unfortunately. a good app I use to tell you if a area is restricted or not is called “AirMap”

Anthony

I live in the Silverlake/Echo Park area. Lucky for me I live on top of a hill. Been just practicing around my block, no problems with the 3 floor apartments, the palm trees and power lines are far enough that I'm over them. Can we still fly in Echo Park if it's quiet? Or will I get cited? The maps in my area either Green or clear to fly. Waiting for my AMA membership to fly the field in Van Nuys or Glendale to practice more.

I live in the Silverlake/Echo Park area. Lucky for me I live on top of a hill. Been just practicing around my block, no problems with the 3 floor apartments, the palm trees and power lines are far enough that I'm over them. Can we still fly in Echo Park if it's quiet? Or will I get cited? The maps in my area either Green or clear to fly. Waiting for my AMA membership to fly the field in Van Nuys or Glendale to practice more.
I’m in Silverlake now for few days holidays. Where best to fly few hours for fun / practise?

I was harassed by members (they called themselves "board members") of the RC club before. Stay aware and be safe.

I just told them to **** off, hand caught my P3A (Back in the day) and went away.

Now I mostly fly around Venice Beach, close to Rose Ave. Great spot, and the people at the SM airport are always nice over the phone.

I was harassed by members (they called themselves "board members") of the RC club before. Stay aware and be safe.

I just told them to **** off, hand caught my P3A (Back in the day) and went away.

Now I mostly fly around Venice Beach, close to Rose Ave. Great spot, and the people at the SM airport are always nice over the phone.

Hi, I’m here in Santa Monica also, what’s your experience with contacting Santa Monica Airport and flying near there?
I've heard that there is a municle code in Santa Monica that prohibits drone flight throughout the city.

In Westchester near LAX... Lol horrible spot to have a drone ... But I guess it's better than DC

I found a nice beachy cove at pales verdes - not that quiet, plenty of hikers/dog walkers and a few police and park rangers - who were totally cool with my flying as long as I wasn’t flying over people.
63b45b416002695f651073ba5566dbd7.jpg

Reactions: mavicQ
Do you guys know where is legal area to fly a drone? I heard about apollo XI field its still legal to fly there? Thanks

Do you guys know where is legal area to fly a drone? I heard about apollo XI field its still legal to fly there? Thanks

I use the app AirMap which is useful to show you all the restricted zones and why and lets you digitally notify certain air towers... sprinkled with a pinch of common sense.

LA is tricky to find areas that are legal, and interesting enough to fly.

Anthony.

I just download it thanks a lot so green area means its legal to fly there? Those small green area? 9CDCFC38-D3C9-4FAC-9F10-2CB2D32CAAB0.png

I just download it thanks a lot so green area means its legal to fly there? Those small green area? View attachment 29836

I think the green just shows grassy/tree type area? You want to look for area without any yellow or red circles. If in doubt drop a pin on an area and it will tell you of any restrictions or advisory’s.

Anthony.

I zoom it in. And i saw this . I think this means legal area huh?

Attachments

• A8D13351-43E8-454D-9DA6-D26F2BB3E480.png
    A8D13351-43E8-454D-9DA6-D26F2BB3E480.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
Green areas normally mean that a good to go fly zone, its most likely a AMA field. If you press the triangle, you can see what boundaries you're crossing if you fly there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty