DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Southern California - L.A. area 323/213/818

First time poster here. Glad I stumbled on this thread. I’m based in Encino and fly and hang at Apollo often. Been flying Drones since 2015 and just got my MAVIC. It’s all I fly now. I love it. I’ll say it’s not easy to fly in many areas of LA, beaches, parks, etc. You defiantly need to research the zones beforehand. Anyways...fly safe and stay fly.

Hi guys.. First time poster here also from the Antelope Valley{Palmdale} Proud one week owner of a Mavic. Three flights so far in a large open field behind my house. I am in love with this thing. I am really glad I found this forum. I am looking for places to fly and I think tomorrow morning I will fly up around the aquaduct overlooking Palmdale. Also looking to fly around railroad tracks to get some shots of some Trains. Trying really hard not to annoy anybody with my Mavic.

I found a nice beachy cove at pales verdes - not that quiet, plenty of hikers/dog walkers and a few police and park rangers - who were totally cool with my flying as long as I wasn’t flying over people.
63b45b416002695f651073ba5566dbd7.jpg
That's Palos Verdes Estates which has a much better drone policy than the adjacent and MUCH larger city Rancho Palos Verdes, so be careful where you take off. In Rancho Palos Verdes you are prohibited from flying at public lands including city parks. Also most of the Palos Verdes area is within 5 miles radius of Torrance airport, so notification is required.

The area in your map is Lunada Bay and is *just* outside of the 5 miles radius, so you are good there. I can actually fly to there from my backyard, but where I am I need to notify Torrance ATC. Btw, they are totally cool about it. I called and the guy was saying oh you are way out there and didn't really seem to care. He didn't even take down my name or phone or FA#.

I’m in south Ventura County (Thousand Oaks). Have had my MP since October and never had a problem. Lots of canyons and unincorporated areas to fly over without bothering people. I’ve flown over beaches in Malibu, OC, and SD. I check AirMap and generally try not to be an a-hole about it.

Reactions: SpitFire
I’m new in drone world . I just got my mavic air haha can you teach me how to get a good footage? I live in gledale ca.

I’m new in drone world . I just got my mavic air haha can you teach me how to get a good footage? I live in gledale ca.
Fastest way to learn is search YouTube for best cinematic shots for MAVIC Air videos. Happy researching and flying. I’m in Encino and can offer lessons if you prefer hands on. Find me #dflyguy on instagram.

new owner here! just got Mavic less than a month ago - I live in LA - studio city to be exact - is the Van Nuys RC spot, is that Lake Balboa perhaps? I've been there to practice some and its cool - only go there weekdays toward end of day to practice, readjust settings, and things like that.

I am interested in going elsewhere and getting some cool visuals - specially Malibu since I go there quite often - usually more north into Ventura. always good to meet other SoCal peeps:)
I will be visiting California area in September, would like some advice about some of these locations i will be visiting. I already know about Yosemite Park NO drones allowed
called them in advance. Areas are: Sonoma Wine Country, Muir Woods,San Joaquin Valley, San Francisco,.Monterey, , Big Sur, Hearst Castle, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles.
If any body lives in these areas, please let me know which of these areas are good to fly.
Any info would be appricated. Thank You

I will be visiting California area in September, would like some advice about some of these locations i will be visiting. I already know about Yosemite Park NO drones allowed
called them in advance. Areas are: Sonoma Wine Country, Muir Woods,San Joaquin Valley, San Francisco,.Monterey, , Big Sur, Hearst Castle, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles.
If any body lives in these areas, please let me know which of these areas are good to fly.
I went out on a shoot at the Santa Barbara Harbor on Sunday and I checked Airmap for any restrictions and I was surprised to not find any, seems like areas outside of the city are better for flying because there is so much air-traffic and restrictions in LA. Still, I'd like to hear of any other places some of you guys are flying in and around the city.

@SpitFire If you are passing by San Luis Obispo / pismo Beach, the cliffs in the Shell Beach area is great area to fly (if you don't mind flying over water). This is my favorite area!

@SpitFire If you are passing by San Luis Obispo / pismo Beach, the cliffs in the Shell Beach area is great area to fly (if you don't mind flying over water). This is my favorite area!
Awesome, thats about a 3 and a half hour drive from me but I'll keep it in mind if I go through that area!

McToddy: Thank you for the info, not afraid to fly over water. Have a set of pontoons
on my MP, just for that purpose. Do not land on water to much, mainly makes me feel
safer when flying over water. Any way appreciate you response.

I might drive around central San Pedro Tommorrow.It looks clear from the 5 miles radius from Long Beach and Zaperini Airfield right past the USS Iowa Museum Anyone know some flying spots down there?

I might drive around central San Pedro Tommorrow.It looks clear from the 5 miles radius from Long Beach and Zaperini Airfield right past the USS Iowa Museum Anyone know some flying spots down there?
As I mentioned in another thread. All the way down Pacific Ave. You can park right in the culdesac and lift off in the multi level plaza just to the side. Great views of Sunken City, Cabrillo, Catalina Island, Cabrillo jetty.

Reactions: Ro-Dee and BeefStew
As I mentioned in another thread. All the way down Pacific Ave. You can park right in the culdesac and lift off in the multi level plaza just to the side. Great views of Sunken City, Cabrillo, Catalina Island, Cabrillo jetty.
Saw the last thread and I even liked it sorry.. anyways I found the spot you mentioned with the metal fence blocking a Sea cliff... there another place I thought looked good It a hilltop right next to Fermin point park but it windy up here is it a good spot to?

1522539205894.jpg1522539212578.jpg1522539217284.jpg

Saw the last thread and I even liked it sorry.. anyways I found the spot you mentioned with the metal fence blocking a Sea cliff... there another place I thought looked good It a hilltop right next to Fermin point park but it windy up here is it a good spot to?

View attachment 34840View attachment 34841View attachment 34842
Didn't notice the hilltop. I did do a flyover of the Korean Bell though. Will checkout your spot next time I'm out there.

Got all caught up on this thread (newb). I downloaded the airmap app... and it appears I have been illegally flying everywhere. I mean like alllll over the place.
I have to believe this is all gray area... the Santa Monica mountains are RED ZONE, but near me is an airfield I like to go practice at. So how can there be a legal air field for remote controlled devices and it is RED at the same time? I need to start making some phone calls to the rangers that are like 100 feet away from my practice field and have never approached me.

I’m new to this forum. I’ve been flying a Mavic Pro for a few weeks now. I live in Venice and I’m looking for more places to fly.

I use the Kittyhawk app to see what airpsace restrictions there are. So far I’ve taken off from the cliffs on both sides of temescal canyon. Both of those spots are legal, however the actual canyon is not. I usually go out over the water from there, sometimes as far up as sunset point. I try not to hover over the beach which of course is restricted.

Also just trying to be safe, thoughtful, and non-douchey.

I'm in North LA County, Antelope Valley Area, and I've found a few local parks to fly in. The biggest trouble I have is, many of the parks locally have cell phone towers and I'm flying the Mavic Air, which is controlled by enhanced Wifi, so I'm very wary flying there. I'm thinking of going to Devil's Punch Bowl. Has anyone in the group flown out there yet? Also, over the past few weeks I've encountered "Main Controller Data Error" messages, several times wile flying in extreme temperatures (in excess of 100 degrees F), has anyone else had this issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180722-160122.png
    Screenshot_20180722-160122.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
Geez, my son and I recently got our Mavic 2 Pro. Problem is, we're from Santa Clarita and there's no where to fly. It's illegal to fly in parks or open areas. I guess I can stand in my front yard and fly straight up, but that's not what I had in mind. Love the drone, but it's not fun trying to stay ahead of the cops.

This is my first attempt at creating a photo style called, "Droneception". Remember the movie "Inception", when they were in the city and the roads and buildings curved upward? Well, I used my drone to create something similar. This is of the Huntington Beach, California pier.

droneception-hb-pier-2018-01-30-700h.jpg

#droneception
#inception
#hbpier
#m2p

Reactions: pelagic_one
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members