DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spain cops scanning DJI drone flights by Aeroscope

Planning to go to Barcelona in 2 weeks time, tough that I'm going to make few nice pictures/videos with my MA, but looking at the map - there is no place to fly in Barcelona legally... Pity
Is there any way to legalise my flights in Barcelona? Register somewhere, apply for a fly permit?

Maybe someone of you was in Barcelona recently?

Are you talking about Aeroscope, or remote ID?
I am just saying that since remote id will probably only work with dji, then why not stick with the Areoscope since it only works with dji as well?

Save us all some money.

Last edited:
I am just saying that since remote id will probably only work with dji, then why not stick with the Areoscope since it only works with dji as well?

Save us all some money.

Remote ID will be required to work with any drone not being flown at a fixed site.

Reactions: Thomas B
And stupid people flying where they should not be and spoiling things for the rest of us who follow rules.
On the flip side, there are many overly-restrictive drone laws that have no basis in facts. At what point do you say the rules are too much? It’s weird. Compared to the gun lobby worldwide, drone owners do seem to roll over and take it. Bit Stockholm Syndrome at times I feel. We need like an NDA that you can belong to, with defence lawyers available for members and representatives in government!

Lol.. that's kinda like saying if you dont fill out and mail in your jury questioner form you will go to jail.

It can happen! Check out the video below. Best not ignore the jury summons in this judge's county!

Reactions: xspwhite
A recent video showing cops using Aeroscope for catching an illegal drone pilot at Madrid (Spain)

Video voice is in spanish, you can use YouTube automatic translation service.

R.

Next July the European laws will change again. Drones below 900g (C1 category) should have a direct remote identification that:
-. allows the upload of the UAS operator registration number in accordance with Article 14 of Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/947 and exclusively following the process provided by the registration system;
-. ensures, in real time during the whole duration of the flight, the direct periodic broadcast from the UA using an open and documented transmission protocol, of the following data, in a way that they can be received directly by existing mobile devices within the broadcasting range:
  1. the UAS operator registration number;
  2. the unique physical serial number of the UA compliant with standard ANSI/CTA-2063;
  3. the geographical position of the UA and its height above the surface or take-off point;
  4. the route course measured clockwise from true north and ground speed of the UA; and
  5. the geographical position of the remote pilot or, if not available, the take-off point.
It seems to me that all drones of the mavic serie can do that. It's that I understand from the Aeroscope possibility.

Can somebody tell me what is the difference between the direct remote identification that will be required in next July and the signals which are already sent to aeroscope by the DJI drones? Having an mavic pro (the old one) I wonder if in few next months flying this model (mavic pro) should be illegal?

Last edited:
This is from November 2017 with some of the content of the full version (what you posted is abridged) referencing 2016.

Yes, the video came out at same time as related article in The Verge in November of 2017.

Please note that the online article was updated almost immediately following original publication as follows:

But I could still see, when I tapped through a list of recent drone activity, that the pilot had been flying an Inspire, one of DJI’s own, and the pilot’s personal email address was visible. Update: DJI says the production version of Aeroscope will not show pilots’ email addresses, and that an Aeroscope users will have to use a drone’s serial number or registration number to get in touch with the drone pilot.

That told me that someone realized very quickly that seizing and storing personal email addresses might be illegal in one or more states. But, has anything actually changed? What does one have to be or do to get access to the email? One way to find out is via public records request to any public entity using the device.

I bought a second hand mavic pro and I am pretty sure that an aeroscope would not be able to get my email address since I did not provide it anywhere. At the present time the remote identification is still not necessary and registration is not compulsory for this kind of drone.

My concern is to know if after registering this "old machine" it would be able to provide the information which will be required by the remote identification, or if a firmware updating will be necessary and sufficient, or if I would have to crash it in a last and very sad flight far away over the sea :((

I bought a second hand mavic pro and I am pretty sure that an aeroscope would not be able to get my email address since I did not provide it anywhere. At the present time the remote identification is still not necessary and registration is not compulsory for this kind of drone.

My concern is to know if after registering this "old machine" it would be able to provide the information which will be required by the remote identification, or if a firmware updating will be necessary and sufficient, or if I would have to crash it in a last and very sad flight far away over the sea :((

Aeroscope obviously won't get your email address if you didn't register, but it will supply your exact location.

Aeroscope obviously won't get your email address if you didn't register, but it will supply your exact location.

Is it possible to activate a DJI drone without someone registering it via email?

So, you think that registering the mavic pro will be enough to be up to date concerning the next remote ID ?

In fact perhaps I registered it unconsciously when I updated the firmware with DJI assistant2, So would it be ok for the remote ID ?

Last edited:
So, you think that registering the mavic pro will be enough to be up to date concerning the next remote ID ?

In fact perhaps I registered it unconsciously when I updated the firmware with DJI assistant2, So would it be ok for the remote ID ?

The technology standards for Remote ID don't even exist yet, so it's not yet possible to answer that question.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S