DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spain cops scanning DJI drone flights by Aeroscope

They already do use this in the US - just not very widely, and it only works for DJI aircraft.
This should be all they need then. It's not likely that companies like syma/eachine/holy stone/contixo and all the others are going to add remote I'd capabilities to their drones. There would be a host of other brands that could be purchased that also wouldn't have the technology as well. Governments would never be able to control the population of drones running through customs.

Any info about non-DJI drones? For example, Skydio.

Rumor has it (it could be a selling tactic so keep that in mind) that this "System" could fairly easily be modified to intercept and read other data streams besides just DJI with some modifications. Data is Data so that seems very likely.

This should be all they need then. It's not likely that companies like syma/eachine/holy stone/contixo and all the others are going to add remote I'd capabilities to their drones. There would be a host of other brands that could be purchased that also wouldn't have the technology as well. Governments would never be able to control the population of drones running through customs.
If the proposed Remote ID goes into law then yes they will 3 options:

• 1) add that feature set to be compliant with whatever the final regs are
  • 2) only sell aircraft that fall outside of the regs (only capable of 400' distance, under 250gr etc).
  • 3) quit selling in the US

To think that US Customs can't control the import is a bit of a stretch. We had some Software get blocked several years ago due to someone injecting some malicious code at the origin (Japan) and they held several pallets of the software until every single one box was opened and verified to NOT have the malicious code on the CD. There were roughly 20K boxes held up in 2 different locations (One East and one West) for 6 weeks and they were threatening to reject them all and send them back to Japan. The idea that they can't simply refuse import is a bit short sided.

Granted if the REWARD is high enough "some" will be smuggled into the US but I don't see consumer grade UAS having enough of a Profit Margin to justify the expense and/or risk of smuggling them into the country.

If those companies don't add remote ID then they are not going to sell many, since it would only be legal to fly them at designated sites. And so Aeroscope is not the solution, since it would not be a universal solution.

If those companies don't add remote ID then they are not going to sell many, since it would only be legal to fly them at designated sites. And so Aeroscope is not the solution, since it would not be a universal solution.
Ha, this is correct. They can simply tag the box explaining that the copter has no RID and folks can still buy them.

Brendon Schulman has brought up a very interesting point. If what the FAA proposes cost money, then many consumers will simply become noncompliant operators and a world of rogue drone flyers will be the result.

Ha, this is correct. They can simply tag the box explaining that the copter has no RID and folks can still buy them.

Brendon Schulman has brought up a very interesting point. If what the FAA proposes cost money, then many consumers will simply become noncompliant operators and a world of rogue drone flyers will be the result.

It's already a world of rogue drone flyers. That's not a good reason not to regulate though - at least that allows rogue flyers who get caught to be prosecuted.

It's already a world of rogue drone flyers. That's not a good reason not to regulate though - at least that allows rogue flyers who get caught to be prosecuted.
Yea, but if it only works on dji drones what's the point? It's not like people are going to pay a whole bunch of extra money for a drone because it has remote I'd. No, they will buy the cheaper ones that dont.

Yea, but if it only works on dji drones what's the point? It's not like people are going to pay a whole bunch of extra money for a drone because it has remote I'd. No, they will buy the cheaper ones that dont.

Are you talking about Aeroscope, or remote ID?

You are right, Aeroscope is not going to reveal pilot idendity, but PILOT LOCATION. If you read pilot testimonials you will realize a police patrol arrived takeoff place in less than 20 minutes.

R.

Actually it does. Aeroscope is nothing new, its been around a while now.
It works because of the lack of link encryption in Occusync and the WiFi etc.

Aeroscope knows the drone home location (so very likely operator location) not just the drone current location.
It also has the serial number, and, via a network link the registered name, email etc of the user.

When I first began to fly a drone; roughly three years ago, the whole process felt engaging and liberating. Now, it's somewhat depressing.

I wasn't spying, or operating any mission of surveillance. Now, I'm being watched...weird.

Everyone I know, who DOESN'T fly a drone, has a negative opinion on drones. I don't see that changing. With Drone to Phone, those who want to, will seek us out.

We will have to go further and further out of town. At some point, it will simply not be worth it.

Sincerely,

Stuck with a boat load of gear.

Update: after writing this, I watched one of my vids from last summer...yeah, it's still worth it.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute