DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spark RC demo'd by iPhonedo

Well given the spark uses WiFi transmission the reliability and bitrate may not be the same...

Well given the spark uses WiFi transmission the reliability and bitrate may not be the same...
It would be the same as watching the video on a phone/tablet I assume

Impressed that the remote expands the range to 2km in what I assume is still wifi mode.

Impressed that the remote expands the range to 2km in what I assume is still wifi mode.

The remote itself may expand the range to 2km; however, my video cut out after ~900ft.

I needed a spotter and a nice pair of binoculars to keep VLOS at that distance, so without a FPV I question what use 2km may be? RC antenna was pointed at the drone and I was only about 120' up over a marsh.

This thing is tiny.

Reactions: syke
The remote itself may expand the range to 2km; however, my video cut out after ~900ft.

I needed a spotter and a nice pair of binoculars to keep VLOS at that distance, so without a FPV I question what use 2km may be? RC antenna was pointed at the drone and I was only about 120' up over a marsh.

This thing is tiny.
Not too happy about hearing this...maybe switch from 5.8 to 2.4 or vice-versa?

Not too happy about hearing this...maybe switch from 5.8 to 2.4 or vice-versa?

I will have to see how to give that a try, but I did not see that as available when I was flying. It was def on 5.8. In any case, a quick google seems to imply it is on the physical remote.. Admittedly, after flying so many DJI products I only glanced at the documentation.

1. What Wi-Fi frequencies does the remote controller support?
  2. The remote controller supports 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz dual‑band Wi‑Fi frequencies.
    5.8 GHz transmission is not available in some regions due to local regulations.
I will give it a try and see how that fares.

I will have to see how to give that a try, but I did not see that as available when I was flying. It was def on 5.8. In any case, a quick google seems to imply it is on the physical remote.. Admittedly, after flying so many DJI products I only glanced at the documentation.

1. What Wi-Fi frequencies does the remote controller support?
  2. The remote controller supports 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz dual‑band Wi‑Fi frequencies.
    5.8 GHz transmission is not available in some regions due to local regulations.
I will give it a try and see how that fares.
Looking forward to your feedback. I only have the Fly Less Spark, my Fly More arrives on Monday

Looking forward to your feedback. I only have the Fly Less Spark, my Fly More arrives on Monday

I just got back from a sunset run on the beach and I was able to hit 2,191 ft before the RC/app showed as disconnected. This is still less than 1/2 a mile @ 5.8 Ghz. I had both the Spark and my MP, but I had the Spark out too long and I missed out on any good MP sunset photos. They looked really bad.

The FPV view seemed really dark (Spark) and I went to adjust the image only to find out you have no RC control over it. Another interesting change.

I was anxious to deploy my MP and I completely forgot about trying the 2.4 frequency.

View media item 865View media item 866

Wi-Fi mode uses Wi-Fi compatible encoding and power - control comes from the phone/tablet radio. RC mode uses proprietary encoding (and modulation perhaps) and higher power using the RC's radio in the Wi-Fi radio bands (2.4 or 5.8 GHz (which are unregulated except for power level).

Note that the output power for both the MP and Spark RCs is ≤26 dBm - so the 2 km range limit seems to be based on range alone and not ability to get the power out. Possibly due to very inefficient antennas on the Spark (?).

More likely becasue DJI's custom modulation is way more efficient at the same power level than WiFi.

The RC should have been included in the fly less kit. The lack of RC is just screaming for flyaways and loss of control

Reactions: turbodronepilot
The RC should have been included in the fly less kit. The lack of RC is just screaming for flyaways and loss of control
100% agree...besides the fact that the RC would have justified the $499 price tag

Reactions: turbodronepilot
The lack of RC is just screaming for flyaways and loss of control
How when that limits you to a tame machine and very short operating distance?! o_O Makes no sense.

The lack of RC is a lack of functionality, not a risk of loss of control. Functionality that was deemed not to be looked for or desired by the intended Spark customers. Yet they're clever enough to sell one anyway not to close the door on existing customers who just want a new toy but wouldn't buy one to fly with a phone only.

I don't think that the younger generation would have a problem flying with the virtual joysticks, but myself an many others have a hard time adapting to it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure