DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sphere & Wide Angle Pano Gimbal Fault

Morrisey20

Reactions
Sphere & Wide Angle Panoramas always generate a gimbal fault,

"gimbal stuck. check and ensure gimbal can rotate freely"

From day 1, I have never got these processes to complete.
180° pano works well.

Anyone else had this issue?
7447b39df66d5d08525a272dcd4e46de.jpg

Sphere & Wide Angle Panoramas always generate a gimbal fault,

"gimbal stuck. check and ensure gimbal can rotate freely"

From day 1, I have never got these processes to complete.
180° pano works well.

Anyone else had this issue?
7447b39df66d5d08525a272dcd4e46de.jpg

Do you have a filter on the camera lens?

If so- fix the filter when the drone is off. Try and keep the mini level and turn it on. Let the gimbal do it’s thing.

A filter can interfere with this initial calibration thjng.

It faults out with & without ND filter - assume there must be something wrong with the vertical axis of gimbal as this axis is not used for the functioning 180° pano?
Never crashed & always use gimbal guard when grounded.
Would a calibration (any of them) possibly rectify this?

Have you tried taking photo and/or video with the gimbal at it’s extremes above and below horizontal? Either way, it sounds like a fault to me.

my only thoughts, fwiw...
-look at your gimbal and camera mount carefully with flashlight and magnifying glass to see if any dust/debris might be stuck somewhere.
-do all the gimbal calibrations, then repeat same.
-if problem continues, you might have a hardware issue, contact dji or a repair shop.

Thanks for the suggestions, been out with a couple of batteries doing some testing:-
-gimbal working ok at extreme positions (+20 & -90) for video
-disabled positive gimbal travel - same problem exists in Sphere & Wide Angle Pano
-changed file type from Raw+jpeg to jpeg only, this allowed ALL Panos to work/complete!
I tested the Wide Angle at varying starting angles, from +20° down in 10° increments to -80° = all worked.

Appreciate that the speed of producing these jpegs is far faster, so I wondered if the longer pauses between frames may be overloading the gimbal, or my SD card was too slow in processing so faulting it out.

Finally decided to calibrate gimbal on a level surface (flat road), completed ok, ran a Sphere Pano (Raw+jpeg) with no problems at all -1st time ever!
Superb [emoji106]

Back to square 1 today, fitted an ND filter before trying out panos, fault is back.
Recalibrated gimbal with filter on, still 'gimbal stuck' during panos.
Confirmed jpeg-only setting works fine, even with filter fitted.
Very weird [emoji2962]
Can't find this problem listed anywhere on any forum

Problem solved
Tried an older microSD card - it is now working flawlessly!! [emoji3]

Have tried all Pano Raw+jpeg settings many times, across several batteries, it has not failed once.

Of note (to support other owners) this process is drastically faster, with less time taken between each photograph.
This is despite using a Samsung Evo (UHS speed class U1=10MB/s) card instead of my problematic Toshiba Exceria (UHS speed class U3=30MB/s).

I believe the Toshiba card has deteriorated in performance, slowing down the speed of all Pano sequences due to the high volume of data required for Raw + jpeg images. Stranger still, this card used to work fine in my Mavic Air 1.
This has accidentally induced the Gimbal Stuck fault.
(All this has been fed back to DJI for info, along with an update request to shoot in Raw only! [emoji1696])

Oddly, speed tests on both cards shows the Samsung writes at 18MB/s whilst the Toshiba writes slightly faster at 20MB/s.

Does anybody else run Toshiba cards in their Mini 2?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143