DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spinning out of control - No controller response

I was flying my lil bird today and wasn't paying attention when the low battery notification came on and it was far away from me. I thought oh lord, please don't let her crash [emoji30] but it sped back fast, spinned a few times and landed herself. I updated the firmware twice before flying though. This makes my knees week[emoji29][emoji102]

Sent from [emoji211]

I had the same issue in that all of a sudden my Mavic begin spinning uncontrollably, with full right-stick barely containing it. I couldn't even land it, it kept wanting to fly higher after I canceled auto-land and I had to grab it out of the air and pull the battery. Had just completed a compass calibration prior to takeoff and everything was fine for the first part of the flight.

Unfortunately, I don't have video, but here is the flight log:

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
Did this occur here?
upload_2016-12-8_5-56-15.png

The yawing was caused by the rudder inputs seen here.
upload_2016-12-8_5-58-10.png

BUT, those rudder inputs are switching between 0 and 10000. That's physically impossible. The throttle also exhibits this behavior. I think your RC is broke.

BUT, those rudder inputs are switching between 0 and 10000. That's physically impossible. The throttle also exhibits this behavior. I think your RC is broke.
Those kind of logs came up a lot with that "pre ghost stick movements" Firmware, @Squeamish: you did not skip the last 2 updates, right ? If so i'd agree 100% with BudWalker (not that he needs that, hes "Dr. LOG" Thumbswayup)

Greetings,

Ender

It seems similar to what happened in this video:

If it is truly the calibration of the sticks on the RC, should it be possible to shutdown the remote? There will be no input from the sticks anymore and will solve the spinning problem. After losing connection with the RC, it will trigger failsafe RTH.

Any thoughts on this emergency situation kind a solution?

Actually the scenario of Bad GPS Quality (having a lot of Sats but maybe malfunctioning compass) is a known one by now, see the Thread here:
Spooky Action at a Distance

Ore dozens of similar ones in the DJI Forum...

Hopefully DJI gets to the bottom of this before my Mavic arrives...

Ender
If bad GPS< then the bird should automatically fly back to Home, right using the AR path ?

Hi !
RTH will not work with bad / invalid GPS !
It will try to hover in ATTI mode which means it will probably drift if you are out of luck.

Ender

This may not fit exactly in this topic, but I had a really strange RC issue today as well. In my case, I was in doors and it could have been related to GPS being seen and then not seen. However, I was only flying stationary and panning to play with the camera... I spun it slightly to the right and she pushed into the direction while spinning.

Then I pulled her back to the left and she was fine.. pushed her back again (probably should not have..) after a few seconds and then she drifted even more to the right.. again expected.

I pointed her back to where she was happy and then tried moving forward to move away from the wall. No response. I tried pushing nw (more west) a bit on the stick and I had no response at all. Then I let go of the stick and she SLAMMED into the wall at full speed. Now, ignoring the significant delay between the commands the RC was only gently pushed to the nw (again more left/west than NW). I have flown my P1 indoors (not a great idea due to down draft), and have been flying for a couple of years with my P1 and P3A. Plus, a couple of other smaller drones (in doors), so I am not perfect, but the point is something was very wrong.

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I tried healthydrone, but it shows little to no data.. but one important piece is the max speed: Max Speed 7.45 mph

The Mavic was updated with the newest FW was of 2 days ago. I was maybe 2-3' from the mavic, so maybe there was some interference from the phone (iPhone6), but the iPhone battery was >60% when I started. I probably should have made sure it was 100% due to the bug I keep hearing about..

It seems similar to what happened in this video:

If it is truly the calibration of the sticks on the RC, should it be possible to shutdown the remote? There will be no input from the sticks anymore and will solve the spinning problem. After losing connection with the RC, it will trigger failsafe RTH.

Any thoughts on this emergency situation kind a solution?

Anyone that watches the video in the above quote needs to know that the Compass Calibration you see the guy do is Completely wrong! The process he used was with the Phantom, Phantom 1, and Phantom 2. When the "Phantom 2 Vision +" came along we changed to a more precise calibration method. I can not find anything yet on youtube to show as and example using the Mavic calibrating the compass properly. Basically you are not going to hold the mavic out in front of your body as seen in the quoted video. Lift the aircraft off the ground just 1 or 2 inches and rotate with one hand. And use the same principle for the remaining part of the calibration process.

Btw, I also managed to come across video mentioning you are to connect the usb from the aircraft to the assistant and select calibration. It did not provide enough detail for me to share it here, but I thought maybe somebody could chime in out what that process is all about.

I also wanted to point out that the guy in the quoted video said he never did any calibrating since getting his mavic. No wonder so many have these issues. So we buy the mavic built in china and there is not enough common sense to run it through the calibration processes. Pitiful!

@Ender - I love flying over water with my other birds, even did a 2.5km flight with the small Bebop 2 Just 2 weeks ago...
The little Bebop 2 has saved me a bunch of grief. Having so much fun with it that I haven't seen the need to order a Mavic :cool:

Reactions: dewster
@Ender - I love flying over water with my other birds, even did a 2.5km flight with the small Bebop 2 Just 2 weeks ago...
The little Bebop 2 has saved me a bunch of grief. Having so much fun with it that I haven't seen the need to order a Mavic :cool:
I still keep it :)

Was my rescue when i didnt find the tie to work on & fly y DIY Pixhawks...
(Kids & Jobs)

Ender

Mine is still perfect. There is nothing in the market that compares.

Mine is still perfect. There is nothing in the market that compares.
Over 250 flights with no issues on mine. Can't understand why it gets so little recognition - at least in the USA.

I'm looking forward to Parrot's future development of the Bebop. It just needed a better camera. That's the only reason I didn't buy that craft. It's cost puts less stress on you while flying. [emoji3] I also like what you can do with their Flight Plan feature.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I'm looking forward to Parrot's future development of the Bebop. It just needed a better camera. That's the only reason I didn't buy that craft.
FYI a very recent firmware upgrade significantly improved the camera performance. Of course it is still 1080P but for 4K video most of us have a P3 or P4. Of course there is the 14 Mpx 180 degree wide angle photo option to play with if you have post processing capability. The latest app upgrade also does visual tracking if you're into that sort of thing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS