DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spinning out of control - No controller response

So you were using Litchi on android, right? There have been several strange things reported with it lately.
You should have tried exiting litchi/switching to sports mode and back to give control back to the remote.

I have been flying long enough to know that things aren't cut and dried. That snide remark about 'supposed' evil sand grains gives one to suppose you think that is a hoax, well documented that some beaches do affect the compass. I was trying to eliminate a few possible issues, he had compass and/or GPS issues, and a lot of those stem from either a bad compass calibration or magnetic interference. And the question was asked of the OP, not you, unless you feel the need to answer for other people.

Sorry if you took that the bad way, but magnetic interference is used by everyone and his dog to explain funky stuff so i am tired of it, NOT you. Again: Sorry, honestly...

Besides that, any comments on the factual part of my post (About "what if" magnetic grains stick on the Mavic or "what if" the beach has a strong magnetic influence ? May we can get it down again to something interested if you see a flaw in my argumentation...

Greetings,

Ender

If they did, I missed it.
Hi !
It came up a zillion times in DJI Forum and DJI-Ken repeatedly said that and also rferred to the manual ( i dont value the manual a lot but DJI Ken).

Greetings,
Ender

P.S. IF VPS fails due to moving water it causes drifting, no yawing. And VPS max range is 30ft / 10m, most of the "bad" part of OT flight is way higher....

Last edited:
There have been a number of strange events with Litchi and the Mavic.

Not sure that's TBE but it's very odd, I would open a ticket with DJI and send the logs in.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

There have been a number of strange events with Litchi and the Mavic.

Not sure that's TBE but it's very odd, I would open a ticket with DJI and send the logs in.

Hello, could you elaborate on those Litchi incidents (maybe provide links) ?
So far the stuff i saw (DJI Forum) boiled down to Litchi not beeing the problem but as i plan to buy it i'd love to make sure.
Isnt it simply using the DJI SDK and so cannot really do things "wrong" at a level causing stuff like the OP experienced ?

Ender

Hello, could you elaborate on those Litchi incidents (maybe provide links) ?
So far the stuff i saw (DJI Forum) boiled down to Litchi not beeing the problem but as i plan to buy it i'd love to make sure.
Isnt it simply using the DJI SDK and so cannot really do things "wrong" at a level causing stuff like the OP experienced ?

Ender

Seen 3 or 4 things that were all with Litchi, not going looking again now and yes the SDK can have issues as can the apps, the apps access the craft flight controller via control modes through the SDK and we have seen issues in the passed with 3rd party apps and the P3 and P4.

It may not be a Litchi specific but just a few things have caught my eye.

Also the fw version is very relevant here, we need to know what version the op was on.

Hi !
It came up a zillion times in DJI Forum and DJI-Ken repeatedly said that and also rferred to the manual ( i dont value the manual a lot but DJI Ken).

Greetings,
Ender

P.S. IF VPS fails due to moving water it causes drifting, no yawing. And VPS max range is 30ft / 10m, most of the "bad" part of OT flight is way higher....
Thanks, Ender. I too have respect for Ken's opinions.
That said, this is the second thread in 2 days (that I know of) that involved this kind of behavior over water...

Frankly this looked like requested heading changes more than a navigation failure. No drift in any axis, jsut uncontrolled yaw and erratic positioning.
I'd really suspect the app/SDK requestting stupid actions and the Mavic executing them perfectly well rather than the opposite.

Maybe we could have more data if the OP posted the .DAT log.

Reactions: Techcop50
Yes, it would be very helpful if the OP would upload the flight log to MavicHelp's site so they can be checked, that might shed some light on this, I am very interested to know the cause.

@Downunder, would you mind sharing the .txt and/or the .dat for this flight? This is the 5th or 6th Mavic flight I have seen doing this exact same error with litchi. I would like to analyze the flight and see what is going on.

I would suggest everyone stay clear of litchi waypoint missions until there is a cure.

The .txt file can be zipped and uploaded here. The .dat file is much larger and needs a link from dropbox.

This may sound dumb. I've seen a few videos of the Mavic misbehaving while over water areas. Could it be from signal reflection off the water? Or am I just missing the over land issues of the Mavic?

I had the same issue in that all of a sudden my Mavic begin spinning uncontrollably, with full right-stick barely containing it. I couldn't even land it, it kept wanting to fly higher after I canceled auto-land and I had to grab it out of the air and pull the battery. Had just completed a compass calibration prior to takeoff and everything was fine for the first part of the flight.

Unfortunately, I don't have video, but here is the flight log:

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

No...this is totally the litchi app. This does not make the litchi app bad. They just need to be 100% when giving the go ahead on their product.

Part of the litchi app is not communicating properly with GO4 app.

Last edited:
... Part of the litchi app is not communicating properly with GO4 app.

Can you clarify why you think the Litchi app communicates with the DJI App? My understanding is that Litchi specifically requires all other DJI apps to be force closed. I've had some communications oddities (noticed prior to takeoff thankfully) that resolved themselves when I force kill the DJI app.

I'm on an iPhone, so maybe theres a different requirement for Android...

If @Downunder sends both data files we'll have a better chance at possibly pin pointing the exact cause. I have a txt file from another similar flight which shows the A/C reacting strange when reaching the waypoint position. In one case it will sit a hover, and the other the A/C begins drifting and going in circles.

Getting the .dat file to this flight would really help.

There is a firmware upgrade released today that addresses almost every bit of this. Check the official DJI forum.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998