DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spoiled by my Mavic!

Garfieldg

Reactions
I’ve had my Mavic pro for about 18 months and love flying it whenever I can. A little while ago I decided to get myself a racing drone (Arris X220) and give that a go. Wow, what a different experience - it’s a beast in comparison! Trouble is I’m used to knowing that the Mavic would save me if I got into difficulties but this thing is unforgiving and a completely different beast.

I’m having great fun with it but I’ve had a few hairy moments which probably shows my lack of basic skills. My (perhaps rudimentary) question is; can fly my Mavic on a setting that would mimic (or come close to) the Arris but would give me the ability to switch into ‘safe Mavic mode’ literally at the flick of a switch? Thank you!

It is possible using modding techniques to change the S/P switch from Normal/Sport modes to Normal/ATTI modes; that's how mine is set up, and I also boosted Normal performance parameters to be not-quite-Sport. ATTI would be more like your racer but wouldn't mimic it - essentially you're just turning off the GPS but keeping the barometer's altitude-hold assist. Useful for practicing flying to compensate for drift and wind, but not nearly as training-wheels-off as your racer. I wouldn't risk an expensive Mavic camera platform to use as a practice horse for learning racing techniques, though, but it is a good idea to practice flying in ATTI mode because once in a while a Mavic will drop GPS for at least a little while and go into that mode whether you want to or not.

You'd probably be better off getting a solid non-altitude-hold drone for $75-100 and practice with that; should be a lot more forgiving than a racer. Check out the YouTube channel of "RCSaylors" - pretty good drone reviews from a real-world perspective and they do frequent video releases, almost daily - if you scroll through their list of available recent videos I'm sure you'll get a few ideas. One might be the "Bugs 3" drone, or the "Bugs 3H" - the difference is the 3H has altitude hold, but it can be switched off, giving you the best of both worlds for just piddling around in the air. The Saylors like both of those drones quite a lot; they also did a recent review of a ready-to-fly racer they said would be perfect for those new to that type of drone.

Have fun!

Sports mode is quite difficult than the normal flying mode.:D

Funny, I have a Arris racer in the original box I also bought thinking I’d like to try the fpv flying with all the stunts. Feel the same, opened the box started reading just the transmitter instructions (80 pages). I then bought a 45.00 charger for the Lipo battery and after reading the ten page instructions about different charging settings thought to myself what a pain. It’s been a month now and maybe next week I’ll give it a try !

It took me a long time to get it all together and the courage to get going - my first flight’s aim was simply to hover it about 10’ off the ground. In a slight wind I was constantly having to make small adjustments on the sticks - a shock to my system. In flight 2 I tried a ‘punch’ (applying full throttle to see how fast it can accelerate (in my case upwards)). Shock No 2 - that thing really shifts! The same slight wind was not so slight at 100’ and I worked those sticks like a man possessed. I manage to land it and I guess practice makes perfect. (I then had to launch the Mavic, took it up to 100’ and marvelled at it’s solidity). Lol.

I started out with toy level drones that required a bit of stick wrestling. I'd recommend getting something like a hubsan to learn with. I still fly the hubsan and syma drones for fun.

The mavic is like a Cadillac as far as I'm concerned. I love flying it.

I am interested in getting an fpv racing drone at some point as well.

Sports mode is quite difficult than the normal flying mode.:D

I purchased my MPP as a first time drone. I knew I would get into a world of hurt if I didn't do the right thing at the right time. I am a lot more comfortable (not cocky) and continue to explore new and untried modes.

I purchased a Hubsan H501 S because it has a switch to go from GPS (P mode) to ATTI at the flip of a switch. I have learned a LOT from using it. IMHO it is a great way to learn the basics and flip a switch to get back in to comfortable surroundings if the need be

Reactions: JoBri
The Hubsan is a great idea - thank you. I bought a couple of smaller drones for indoor use but they don’t provide the challenge of the wind and other external influences. The journey continues :)

Buy an old phantom 2 or 3, the atti mode turns off all gps functions!

I purchased my MPP as a first time drone. I knew I would get into a world of hurt if I didn't do the right thing at the right time. I am a lot more comfortable (not cocky) and continue to explore new and untried modes.

I purchased a Hubsan H501 S because it has a switch to go from GPS (P mode) to ATTI at the flip of a switch. I have learned a LOT from using it. IMHO it is a great way to learn the basics and flip a switch to get back in to comfortable surroundings if the need be

Nice and great idea ;) 1 Drone for practice and 1 Drone for skilled acquired from practice :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54