DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spontaneous interruption when ascending/descending

bburnett15

Reactions
sometimes when i am going straight up or straight down (more often when it is going down) there is a momentary pause, as if i let go of the stick. After which i will let go of the stick and then return to climbing/descending.
Just wondering if this is caused by something or if it is indicative of a problem somewhere.

On my Air 2 - descending will incur a halt at about 2 feet above ground - just prior to landing. The vision sensors forcing a pause to make sure I really want to land. Also, the VPS will detect things on the ground around me and there's a tendency to brake or avoid them as obstacles. But nothing going upwards. I've also noticed straight above is one of those areas where the antennas are extremely sensitive. I often have to flip the antenna so it's point straight up to maintain a connection. Yeah - even at 50 feet, go figure.

Reactions: bburnett15
On my Air 2 - descending will incur a halt at about 2 feet above ground - just prior to landing. The vision sensors forcing a pause to make sure I really want to land. Also, the VPS will detect things on the ground around me and there's a tendency to brake or avoid them as obstacles. But nothing going upwards. I've also noticed straight above is one of those areas where the antennas are extremely sensitive. I often have to flip the antenna so it's point straight up to maintain a connection. Yeah - even at 50 feet, go figure.
When it happens to me, its much higher up- like at around 25 ft AGL- not near the ground or any obstacles.

25 feet is where the VPS is generally starting up or going away ... it does weird things if the surface beneath the drone is problematic: water, solid asphalt, similar areas with no contrast. At least that's been my experience. Haven't noticed stalls, per-se, but in logs the drone VPS altitude is certainly having issues; e.g., jumps from 30' to 5' when ascending. I have seen the drone brake at odd times, usually due to VPS sensing something. I've tried to recreate the episodes, but can't. I've written it off to the VPS being a bit conservative. Even yesterday, I was flying about 25-30 agl at 10mph over some basalt talus/rubble, the drone just stopped; VPS altitude was off scale, so not even close to the ground downward. Never did figure out why it stopped. Logs show nothing, either, so it's pretty frustrating. I was heading upslope - so I have to guess it was the forward obstacle avoidance doing weird things - but on camera it was clear sailing.

sometimes when i am going straight up or straight down (more often when it is going down) there is a momentary pause, as if i let go of the stick. After which i will let go of the stick and then return to climbing/descending.
Just wondering if this is caused by something or if it is indicative of a problem somewhere.
If you are wondering what's happening during a particular flight, the first step is always to look at the recorded flight data.
Post your flight data and someone might be able to solve the mystery.

I'm curious if this is something you're observing on your screen or line of sight? I get lots of lags on my Air 1 that has nothing to do with what the drone is actually doing. I video everything and I notice this time and again while orbiting at a favorite location.

Reactions: eEridani
I just spent a few minutes reviewing the stalls I experienced this past week end.

The first and second stalls may have been the rubble under the drone, but I was >23 feet above ground by VPS, at 52 feet above my takeoff point; but judging by the flare on the 4k video of the third incident, and the fact I was climbing when it happened, I'm confident the forward VPS was being confused by flying into the sun and glare off the water, about 15 degrees off axis. Here are the three places the drone stalled:

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG
vlcsnap-2021-10-18-16h16m26s848 - Copy.jpgvlcsnap-2021-10-18-16h16m40s724 - Copy.jpgvlcsnap-2021-10-18-16h17m15s203 - Copy.jpg

I'm curious if this is something you're observing on your screen or line of sight? I get lots of lags on my Air 1 that has nothing to do with what the drone is actually doing. I video everything and I notice this time and again while orbiting at a favorite location.
Im watching the drone. Today i checked the altitude and pretty. Consistently it pauses on its way down at around 30 ft AGL.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Im watching the drone. Today i checked the altitude and pretty. Consistently it pauses on its way down at around 30 ft AGL.
Without the data, you will only get people making guesses, and a high proportion will be wrong.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

You can look at the logs and see if it's when the ground facing VPS/IR are seeing Earth for the first time. You could even do a simple launch, fly to 50 feet, return to land test. It would make reviewing the log faster.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ldh02111