DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stadium flight request 2 questions.

Paul Stocum

Reactions
I have a client wishing some drone imagery during a corporate event, inside a major covered stadium. If client is able to get permissions I have 2 questions.

question 1: Aside from possibly not getting quality satellite connections, are there any other concerns I should be aware of? Interfering radio signals etc?

Question 2: Given that the stadium is directly across the street from a major airport, would I need to get permissions since I’m inside? I’m thinking perhaps only for the ability to unlock the drone in a restricted area. If I do get satellite connections, it probably won’t differentiate indoor/outdoor.

3rd thought, would Verifly even grant flight insurance for an indoor request?

probably get a better answer to your questions on the commercial drone pilots forum ,i am assuming from your thread, that you are part 107 certified, and used to commercial work

question 1: Aside from possibly not getting quality satellite connections, are there any other concerns I should be aware of? Interfering radio signals etc?
There was just a thread about flying indoors over a pool and specifically, what happens when there is no satellites and the vision positing doesn't work. See HERE. Basically, if you've never flown in ATTI mode, you probably shouldn't try it for the first time on the job in front of a client.

Question 2: Given that the stadium is directly across the street from a major airport, would I need to get permissions since I’m inside? I’m thinking perhaps only for the ability to unlock the drone in a restricted area. If I do get satellite connections, it probably won’t differentiate indoor/outdoor.
The FAA has no jurisdiction over indoor flight but as you suspect if you do have intermittent GPS signal you may run into problems between getting approval to unlock the DJI Zones depending on the airspace around the building.

3rd thought, would Verifly even grant flight insurance for an indoor request?

Again, depending on the airspace around the building they might not but you can always just do a trial run application for that area and see what happens.

I filmed inside an arena with my drone last year and no GPS link was achieved. I was in direct flight path path of the airport as well, and had no issues. The drone had no idea where it was. I made sure the drone flew far enough back from the participants. Everyone there was alerted that I was flying a drone, so there was no surprise to anyone that there was a drone flying around. Mainly the patrons were up in the stands watching the show while I was filming them and swinging around to get part of the show. It was cool. I am sorry I can't share it here, it was done for a rather large company in town.

Reactions: Paul Stocum
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2