DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Standard Controller vs the Pro Controller (a downgrade in some ways)

Buddy, I am not saying I want the previous controller. I am saying this crappy standard controller is missing a bunch of pro features which the older gen drone had. If you think removing aperture control and the mini LCD panel with telemetry info is an upgrade, I rest my case here.
Some people just want to make something that’s important lock the things you talk about telemetry an argument in actuality they probably don’t have the experience you have but that’s what this world is turning into and it’s sad that’s why I ask everybody just find God start going to church or just read your Bible if you have one not to get all biblical but I’m speaking the truth about the world we live in now when a guy can’t just speak his mind someone has to come in and start speaking of arguments let’s not do that here this is a place where people come together and open up their thoughts so feel free to express what you feel because I like reading this stuff I haven’t purchased the Mavic three yet and I don’t think I’m going to now I’ve read too much stuff that I don’t like and you’re right about the screen I have the Mavic pro two with the smart controller and I find myself breaking out my Mavic one pro and using my iPad, and speaking of telemetry the first controller to me and the Mavic two pro regular controller are awesome because they give you all the telemetry stats that you need anyway everyone have a great day and fly safe

Ok,i guess we have a little difference of opinion on this matter.pro shooters will get
used to the new one,some already are and do not complain.The screen on the controller
would already eat away the iffy battery life on the old controller,and you can't tell me I am
wrong about that.I see it as just that alone being a big issue on the M2P controller.
Done and out of here.
I can’t stop laughing seeing your responses lol. I don’t know if you work for DJI. I think if DJI reduces the brightness of RC Pro and/or makes the screen smaller, you would still be defending it saying well the brighter RC Pro drains battery very quickly. Seriously? 🤷‍♂️

I’m curious how is the regular controller on the Mavic three different than the Mavic air two controller I never purchased the Mavic air to but I had my buddy start flying and he has one but I’ve never checked it out I’m just curious again what’s different about that and the Mavic three regular controller I can save myself they look kind of cheesy and they look big and bulky compared to my little controllers that have the telemetry on the screenAnd built much better than that big plastic box that they’re selling now???

I’m curious how is the regular controller on the Mavic three different than the Mavic air two controller I never purchased the Mavic air to but I had my buddy start flying and he has one but I’ve never checked it out I’m just curious again what’s different about that and the Mavic three regular controller I can save myself they look kind of cheesy and they look big and bulky compared to my little controllers that have the telemetry on the screenAnd built much better than that big plastic box that they’re selling now???
I believe the Air 2 controller does not connect to O3 drones. The Mavic 3 standard controller is the exact same one that comes in Mini 2 or Air2S. DJI didn’t even bother to match the color of the drone and controller. Every single move is to push people to buy RC Pro. A lot of RC Pro owners would not have bought it if DJI released a better controller similar to M2P in terms of controllability.

Reactions: maven4336
Never really understood why people put a case on their phones. IT makes it bigger and, in my view; uglier. At the same time it 'protects' the phone, I agree, against scratches and other damage. But for me a phone is a tool in the first (and only) place. If it has a few scratches, it just means that it has been used, as it is meant to be.
For me I’m an electrician I have went through many iPhones and they’re expensive so I use a titanium case that I’ll leave in my tool bag when I’m working for instance one time I took it out of the case went to work soon as I got it out of my back pocket there’s so little and then it slipped out of my hand hit the concrete and busted the screen I told myself never again so the case I have now like I said it’s titanium it has rubber all inside all around the edges I’m not a clumsy personBut I do use the older iPhone 6 plus

I have both versions here & I can tell you for a fact the ease of use of switching either on without the setting up & faffing around with smartphones/tablets & cables - especially when my fingers are cold is a godsend for me, the amount of times my S9 nearly came a cropper & went skidding around the floor when trying to get it positioned just right in those bloody awful lower grips of the standard controller, I tried a tablet, just couldn't get used to it, then along came the smart controller, switch on, up & flying in no time, ok the screen is not as big as I would like it to be, but soon got used to it, when it's connected directly to my Alientech Duo II antenna it just feels perfectly balanced to me, also bear in mind if you based in FCC land then the RC Pro will give a fair old signal out according to the specs.
The inners to the RC Pro are a big upgrade to the old SC so a lot smoother in use, but use my old SC with just Litchi only for ALL my flying with the Mavic 2 Pro anyway, works just fine for me. I've not even opened the Mavic 3 box yet, so not had a chance to test it with the RC pro, & to be perfectly honest, until the firmware problems are finally ironed out I'm not in any rush to.

View attachment 139581
Thanks for sharing that I see that you have that aftermarket antennaOn the older smart controller I like how they shoot straight up that’s the only thing I never liked is the Antanas only go out or down but I can see that you’re after market goes up which to me makes a better signal if you read this let me know where you got those I’d love to have those on my smart controller thanks again for sharing

Standard Controller with Tripltek Pro 8.5 tablet!
😎😎😎
Here is a picture side-by-side of the Standard controller with the Tripltek 8 Pro and the SC Pro. The size of the display on the T8 Pro is huge compared with the SC PRO. After flying with the T8 Pro I can not get back to the SC ProWhatsApp Image 2021-12-05 at 11.37.01 AM.jpeg

Last edited:
I can’t stop laughing seeing your responses lol. I don’t know if you work for DJI. I think if DJI reduces the brightness of RC Pro and/or makes the screen smaller, you would still be defending it saying well the brighter RC Pro drains battery very quickly. Seriously? 🤷‍♂️
Glad your amused by it all,And I am talking about the screen on the MP2 controller.it has nothing to do with the RCpro.

Thanks for sharing that I see that you have that aftermarket antennaOn the older smart controller I like how they shoot straight up that’s the only thing I never liked is the Antanas only go out or down but I can see that you’re after market goes up which to me makes a better signal if you read this let me know where you got those I’d love to have those on my smart controller thanks again for sharing
The upright antennas are from Alientech, to be honest I actually prefer the option to angle the antennas for maximum orientation to the drone antennas such as what was originally on the SC but the connectors to fit the panel antenna (Alientech Duo II) needed to be fitted & the only stubby omni directional antennas were those that you see.

The great thing about having the screen with telemetry (on the M1P and M2P) is that when the app crashes or freezes (I have had that happen more times that I can count), I can still see what the drone is doing, rather than just pushing return to home and cross my fingers. I have had to do that several times on my Mini 1 (running Litchi), and it has come home every time, but with my M1P, I can acually see if it is coming back (distance, altitude and speed) on the telemetry screen.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
The great thing about having the screen with telemetry (on the M1P and M2P) is that when the app crashes or freezes (I have had that happen more times that I can count), I can still see what the drone is doing, rather than just pushing return to home and cross my fingers. I have had to do that several times on my Mini 1 (running Litchi), and it has come home every time, but with my M1P, I can acually see if it is coming back (distance, altitude and speed) on the telemetry screen.
This is one of many reasons why the telemetry screen is useful. I have not heard one solid argument for not having it.

You can rationalize all you want, but a 6cyl Mustang is not better than the V8..

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Can any folks review the pros and cons of using the RC Pro vs the standard Controller with something similar to an iPhone Pro 13 (non max). I have an RC Pro due to show up in 9 days. Not sure if I should cancel it or try it (no restocking fee). I hate unpacking and returning something this expensive if there isn’t a good shot of being happy with it.

I have no intentions of using an iPad or similar with the standard controller.

How does RC Pro connect to the Internet? Do you hot spot it to your phone?

What additional controls do you get on the RC Pro?

I hate using my iPhone, I feel like it’s going to go flying when I’m squeezing it into the standard controller.

Is the RC Pro the only way to get OcuSync 3? I keep reading mixed opinions on that. I did see one Video of a range test between both and they were nearly identical.

My main justifications are, convenience, readiness, OcuSync3 and a bit more hardware controls.

The screen would only be slightly smaller than iPhone 13 Pro (6.1”). iPhone 13 Pro is actually slightly brighter (1200 nits).

Can any folks review the pros and cons of using the RC Pro vs the standard Controller with something similar to an iPhone Pro 13 (non max). I have an RC Pro due to show up in 9 days. Not sure if I should cancel it or try it (no restocking fee). I hate unpacking and returning something this expensive if there isn’t a good shot of being happy with it.

I have no intentions of using an iPad or similar with the standard controller.

How does RC Pro connect to the Internet? Do you hot spot it to your phone?

What additional controls do you get on the RC Pro?

I hate using my iPhone, I feel like it’s going to go flying when I’m squeezing it into the standard controller.

Is the RC Pro the only way to get OcuSync 3? I keep reading mixed opinions on that. I did see one Video of a range test between both and they were nearly identical.

My main justifications are, convenience, readiness, OcuSync3 and a bit more hardware controls.

The screen would only be slightly smaller than iPhone 13 Pro (6.1”). iPhone 13 Pro is actually slightly brighter (1200 nits).It

Your iPhone is 1200 nit peak brightness than last for seconds. Sustained brightness is what you are looking for and your iphone is about 700 nits. The RC PRO will be 1000 nit sustained and that is a large difference under sunlight. However, the screen is a little smaller, and with the new MA3 active track functions, you need to touch the screen to change the functions and it is very difficult to be accurate. The only extra control you get on the RC PRO is the zoom wheel, although I find out it is more intuitive to use it pinching on the screen to zoom in and out, My personal experience with the M3 is that you need a larger display to easily use all the features touching the screen.

The things I use every time on the RC Pro that is missing on the standard controller are the two-step shutter-release button to lock focus, and the C1 function button underneath to reset the gimbal (point down or straight ahead).

I find myself using it every time instead of the standard controller because of the overall feel and the convenience (the 3rd party adapters I have tried so far are clunky and awkward at best). However, I REALLY miss a larger screen after using the iPad Mini 4 and Mini 5 for so many years with the Phantoms.

This is my first Android device, and I am figuring that out. The most frustrating thing so far is not having a simple screenshot capability using buttons.

But the things I miss most relate to the differences in the Fly app versus the much more robust GO 4 app.

Your iPhone is 1200 nit peak brightness than last for seconds. Sustained brightness is what you are looking for and your iphone is about 700 nits. The RC PRO will be 1000 nit sustained and that is a large difference under sunlight. However, the screen is a little smaller, and with the new MA3 active track functions, you need to touch the screen to change the functions and it is very difficult to be accurate. The only extra control you get on the RC PRO is the zoom wheel, although I find out it is more intuitive to use it pinching on the screen to zoom in and out, My personal experience with the M3 is that you need a larger display to easily use all the features touching the screen.

The things I use every time on the RC Pro that is missing on the standard controller are the two-step shutter-release button to lock focus, and the C1 function button underneath to reset the gimbal (point down or straight ahead).

I find myself using it every time instead of the standard controller because of the overall feel and the convenience (the 3rd party adapters I have tried so far are clunky and awkward at best). However, I REALLY miss a larger screen after using the iPad Mini 4 and Mini 5 for so many years with the Phantoms.

This is my first Android device, and I am figuring that out. The most frustrating thing so far is not having a simple screenshot capability using buttons.

But the things I miss most relate to the differences in the Fly app versus the much more robust GO 4 app.
I wonder if you could plug in an "external" display in the HDMI or USB port and get the best of both?

Since it is an Android device, standard options to cast the screen (usually to a TV), might work.

After doing a bit of digging around, it appears the Standard Controller is supposed to do OcuSync 3+ with the Mavic 3. But the RC Pro has slightly better latency.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife