DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Standard Controller vs the Pro Controller (a downgrade in some ways)

UAVquadman

Reactions
what I mean is.... for me the Pro Controller would be more of a downgrade because of the screen location also because the screen size is on the small side. Plus... the weight and cost factor of the Pro Controller if you want to add another screen. Yes I know what I am talking about.... instead, you might as well save your money and purchase an Air 2s for less!

The standard controller is a huge downgrade from the M2P standard controller as well
correct. DJI just doesn't care what is best for us real pros. The smart/pro controller screen location at the bottom! and the screen size itself is small compared to what I use.

Reactions: Rocket City
The standard controller is a huge downgrade from the M2P standard controller as well
Not so sure about that really.I guess if you like those terrible crab claw mounts,and if you can
get your phone to fit in there probably have to take the case off each time first.
And last but not least there is no need for a built in screen,all the same info is on you phone
or tablet anyway.But i guess whatever trips your trigger.

Reactions: waternut13134
Not so sure about that really.I guess if you like those terrible crab claw mounts,and if you can
get your phone to fit in there probably have to take the case off each time first.
And last but not least there is no need for a built in screen,all the same info is on you phone
I am not taking about the mounts or screen position. On a controller, the controls and the smaller telemetry display is more important for a Pro person

I am not taking about the mounts or screen position. On a controller, the controls and the smaller telemetry display is more important for a Pro person
Ok whatever,I do not really feel like getting into an argument over it, not really worth it.
Anyway,have yourself a good day.

Ok whatever,I do not really feel like getting into an argument over it, not really worth it.
Anyway,have yourself a good day.
Buddy, I am not saying I want the previous controller. I am saying this crappy standard controller is missing a bunch of pro features which the older gen drone had. If you think removing aperture control and the mini LCD panel with telemetry info is an upgrade, I rest my case here.

Buddy, I am not saying I want the previous controller. I am saying this crappy standard controller is missing a bunch of pro features which the older gen drone had. If you think removing aperture control and the mini LCD panel with telemetry info is an upgrade, I rest my case here.
Lol,why are you getting so worked up over nothing ,its not worth it.
This place is a lot about differences so there is no real need to bite
my head off over it.So settle down.
Done

Reactions: jforester
I have both versions here & I can tell you for a fact the ease of use of switching either on without the setting up & faffing around with smartphones/tablets & cables - especially when my fingers are cold is a godsend for me, the amount of times my S9 nearly came a cropper & went skidding around the floor when trying to get it positioned just right in those bloody awful lower grips of the standard controller, I tried a tablet, just couldn't get used to it, then along came the smart controller, switch on, up & flying in no time, ok the screen is not as big as I would like it to be, but soon got used to it, when it's connected directly to my Alientech Duo II antenna it just feels perfectly balanced to me, also bear in mind if you based in FCC land then the RC Pro will give a fair old signal out according to the specs.
The inners to the RC Pro are a big upgrade to the old SC so a lot smoother in use, but use my old SC with just Litchi only for ALL my flying with the Mavic 2 Pro anyway, works just fine for me. I've not even opened the Mavic 3 box yet, so not had a chance to test it with the RC pro, & to be perfectly honest, until the firmware problems are finally ironed out I'm not in any rush to.

20211204_181526.jpg

Attachments

• 20211204_181226.jpg
    20211204_181226.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
Reactions: Sakumar and zeusfl
what trips my trigger is the best and the crab claw legs work great when using the right tablet mount... you just have to know what you are doing to get the best out of the standard Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom Controller that blows away the Mavic 3 standard controller in so many ways..... we all know this already... nothing new.

I have both versions here & I can tell you for a fact the ease of use of switching either on without the setting up & faffing around with smartphones/tablets & cables - especially when my fingers are cold is a godsend for me, the amount of times my S9 nearly came a cropper & went skidding around the floor when trying to get it positioned just right in those bloody awful lower grips of the standard controller, I tried a tablet, just couldn't get used to it, then along came the smart controller, switch on, up & flying in no time, ok the screen is not as big as I would like it to be, but soon got used to it, when it's connected directly to my Alientech Duo II antenna it just feels perfectly balanced to me, also bear in mind if you based in FCC land then the RC Pro will give a fair old signal out according to the specs.
The inners to the RC Pro are a big upgrade to the old SC so a lot smoother in use, but use my old SC with just Litchi only for ALL my flying with the Mavic 2 Pro anyway, works just fine for me. I've not even opened the Mavic 3 box yet, so not had a chance to test it with the RC pro, & to be perfectly honest, until the firmware problems are finally ironed out I'm not in any rush to.

View attachment 139581
I would use the Pro Controller if I had it and maybe I will change my mind and get one someday. But I would use a lager screen at times as it does have a nice HDMI out.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
what trips my trigger is the best and the crab claw legs work great when using the right tablet mount... you just have to know what you are doing to get the best out of the standard Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom Controller that blows away the Mavic 3 standard controller in so many ways..... we all know this already... nothing new.
I maybe would not go as far as saying the other controller blows away the standard M3 controller.
I t is built better has a better phone mounting system,and more compact antenna system.rather than the floppy
old antennas.I use the same standard controller as the mavic 3 and love it,and I am not alone there.
I kinda think there are a lot of people that like the M3 standard controller also, so it goes both ways.
Sure for the cost of the M3 the RCpro controller should have been standard issue,but it's not.

I maybe would not go as far as saying the other controller blows away the standard M3 controller.
I t is built better has a better phone mounting system,and more compact antenna system.rather than the floppy
old antennas.I use the same standard controller as the mavic 3 and love it,and I am not alone there.
I kinda think there are a lot of people that like the M3 standard controller also, so it goes both ways.
Sure for the cost of the M3 the RCpro controller should have been standard issue,but it's not.
You can still like the standard controller, certainly, but on the fact side, coming from the predecessor M2P:
  • no second wheel to change aperture/time/ISO or custom function
  • no integrated display
It's hard to "like" the controller when it's clearly a step back ... I am not even talking about the price, it's just worse compared to the functions we used to have. 🙁

Reactions: jonatious
You can still like the standard controller, certainly, but on the fact side, coming from the predecessor M2P:
  • no second wheel to change aperture/time/ISO or custom function
  • no integrated display
It's hard to "like" the controller when it's clearly a step back ... I am not even talking about the price, it's just worse compared to the functions we used to have. 🙁
Ok,i guess we have a little difference of opinion on this matter.pro shooters will get
used to the new one,some already are and do not complain.The screen on the controller
would already eat away the iffy battery life on the old controller,and you can't tell me I am
wrong about that.I see it as just that alone being a big issue on the M2P controller.
Done and out of here.

Today I flew my M3 with the SC PRO , and my Autel EVO 2 PRO with the Tripltek 8 Pro both in the same place and over 5000 feet away and 70 feet high.
After about 2500 the SC Pro started to show RC signal low, and the reception started stuttering, I placed the M3 in Sport mode, and the SC PRO reception could not keep up, and I was able to get a maximum of about 4200 feet distance before disconnect and returned to home.
I did the same test with the EVO 2 and the T8 Pro, I was able to reach the 5000 feet mark with excellent transmission and I could go farther away if I wanted.
I am wondering what the new Occusync 3+ means in comparison with a one year old Autel EVO 2.

Also the EVO 2 was much faster in sport mode.

Today I flew my M3 with the SC PRO , and my Autel EVO 2 PRO with the Tripltek 8 Pro both in the same place and over 5000 feet away and 70 feet high.
After about 2500 the SC Pro started to show RC signal low, and the reception started stuttering, I placed the M3 in Sport mode, and the SC PRO reception could not keep up, and I was able to get a maximum of about 4200 feet distance before disconnect and returned to home.
I did the same test with the EVO 2 and the T8 Pro, I was able to reach the 5000 feet mark with excellent transmission and I could go farther away if I wanted.
I am wondering what the new Occusync 3+ means in comparison with a one year old Autel EVO 2.

this is great to know... thank you.

Curious how the Evo could be faster given its only a 3S and the M3 a 4S? Perhaps you encountered a headwind coming home on the mavic?

Never really understood why people put a case on their phones. IT makes it bigger and, in my view; uglier. At the same time it 'protects' the phone, I agree, against scratches and other damage. But for me a phone is a tool in the first (and only) place. If it has a few scratches, it just means that it has been used, as it is meant to be.

• Wow
Reactions: careless
I like to go full screen when shooting to see what I’m capturing in the frame. (Something you can’t really do with Fly) I used the telemetry screen all the time for this. There’s no way that less buttons and functionality is better. I do like the phone mounting system better but I’d take the smaller form factor if I had the choice.

Reactions: maven4336
Standard Controller with Tripltek Pro 8.5 tablet!
😎😎😎

Attachments

• IMG_2363.JPG
    IMG_2363.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2362.JPG
    IMG_2362.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online