DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Start Video Recording With No Controller Or Phone

DrifterF

Reactions
HI all. Might seem a wierd question but my daughter has asked this question as she put the mini in a tripod holder like the one in the link below. she wants to use the gimbal camera for some ground shots aswell as when in flight. as she is saving for a gopro and just saved for the mavic i find this a genuine question for her in making her videos.

so as per above is it possible to trigger the video camera on the mavic somehow? she wants to put it in the holder, turn it on and record. assume she would have to turn the controller on and press the record button once and then do her video then press the controller button again to stop. Think she just wanted to eliminate the controller

I really do not see how that could happen since the connection to the drone is thru the controller.
The best way to answer this question is to test it.

Reactions: DrifterF
Sorry, but it will not be possible to start up the recording without the controller connected ... Then also be aware of the risk of overheating as the Mini don't have any internal fan to cool it, imagine that a Mini isn't well suited for a handheld application like that.

The older Mavic Air was better suited for thing's like this as it had a fan & could be operated only with a WiFi attached mobile phone ...

1613308851708.png

Last edited:
It seems the record video function doesn't work reliably from the RC, but works when I operate it from the Fly app.

Also, if I forget to hit the stop record button before turning off the mini, it doesn't close the video file, leaving it corrupted without headers, and a total bork of a file left on the mini's sd card. If I have cache enabled on the phone, at least I have a 720p video of the event. I've found a couple repair solutions, but they haven't repaired the file enough to be usable.

... if I forget to hit the stop record button before turning off the mini, it doesn't close the video file, leaving it corrupted without headers, and a total bork of a file left on the mini's sd card...
The trick to fix that have been to put in the SD card in the drone again & start & stop a new video ... that have "closed" the previous one making it usable again.

The trick to fix that have been to put in the SD card in the drone again & start & stop a new video ... that have "closed" the previous one making it usable again.
Thanks! Worked like a charm. But why doesn't it close the file during shutdown like the MPP did?

532672211_f824bc5e10_b.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143