DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Starting from scratch knowledge.

Quiet Place

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Greetings from 9500 feet MSL, Trout Creek Pass Colorado. I have been playing with control line models, RC and free flight models and full size aircraft for 70 years. My son gave me a DJI Phantom 1 several years ago, sans camera, and I get it out and fly it around my place. I live remotely in the mountains so I only have animals to worry about complaining of noise! My grandson got a mini 2 and watching him stirred up the need to get back in the air for me. I purchased a Mavic Air 2 with the smart controller. Decided I needed the brighter screen. The aircraft has been setting on a table in my garage totally unopened and untouched since delivery. I have been delaying tearing in to the package because I want to make sure I am as equipped to fly it and not crash right off the bat. I have been consuming large amounts of videos and reviews on everything pertaining to drone operations plus flying the dickens out of the Phantom 1. Now I am ready to see what's in that DJI box but before I do, I need another bit of advice from this forum. I have read numerous posts regarding drone insurance. BUT from your personal experiences, would you do the DJI Care insurance or private such as State Farm? I am also still unsure of the location or procedures to take the Part 107 exam near Colorado Springs. I know there are some active members in Denver and will most certainly appreciate input and advice.

On a personal note and observation, I have been most impressed by the great posts and kind answers on this forum. Not seen too often on the internet anymore. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Greetings from Florida I have state farm it's 75 dollars for the year if you're drone falls in I the ocean or stolen they don't need the drone your still covered that's why I went with them they also covers accessorys bought when you bought your drone but that's your choice good luck your going to be amazed by the air2 there awesome

Insurance? Definitely do the care/refresh. State Farm? It's up to you. I have both, but I understand that one claim from State Farm will cancel the policy. I would use care/refresh for a crash but State Farm for a fly away for my Mavic 2, but probably not the Mini 2. The Mavic Air 2 lies in the middle and if you're afraid of unrecoverable fly aways, buy both. The State Farm insurance only costs $60/year for both drones. Given that DJI now has fly away coverage for the Mini 2 I'd only use State Farm for my Mavic 2. Not sure if DJI has fly-away coverage for the MA2, but if not, I would suggest both.

Last edited:
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Insurance? Definitely do the care/refresh. State Farm? It's up to you. I have both, but I understand that one claim from State Farm will cancel the policy. I would use care/refresh for a crash but State Farm for a fly away for my Mavic 2, but probably not the Mini 2. The Mavic Air 2 lies in the middle and if you're afraid of unrecoverable fly aways, buy both. The State Farm insurance only costs $60/year for both drones. Given that DJI now has fly away coverage for the Mini 2 I'd only use State Farm for my Mavic 2. Not sure if DJI has fly-away coverage for the MA2, but if not, I would suggest both.
I'd agree with vondibona1. I have had good success with Care Refresh for my old Mavic Air 1 and my Mavic 2 Pro. With the Mavic Air, I crashed it but retrieved it, sent it in for repair, and received a new drone. I sold it on e-bay as a new refurbished drone and the buyer was told the entire true story.

With the Mavic 2 Pro, I had gimbal problems, and received a new drone after sending it in under Care Refresh. In both cases, it was well worth the fee. The problem with you, now, is that DJI will make you prove your drone is air worthy with a series of required calibrations of the IMU and gimbal. They are difficult and time consuming. Best to buy Care Refresh in the 48 hour window.

My try at getting State Farm Insurance is that my local agent would not allow me to insure it unless I purchased my total home insurance and articles floater.
Dale
Miami

For the Part 107, if you are a current private or commercial pilot, take the online training and online exam offered by the FAA. It took me about 4 hours to do and then a CFI needs to confirm currency of your biennial flight review. If you are not currently a pilot, then you need to determine whether you want to use a commercial training course (about $150) or self-study. There are several free self study options on you tube and a great compendium prepared by Rupert Law - Drone Law and Drone Attorney Assistance which covers everything you need to know. I also recommend that you either purchase the ASA Prepware application for your Apple or Android tablet or purchase the Gleim Remote Pilot study guide (about $19). Both of these have a large collection of test questions and explanations. Go over all of those at least twice or until you are scoring 90 percent on the practice exams. The FAA DroneZone website explains how to schedule the test and how to find the closest test center to you Become a Drone Pilot .

Last edited:
Greetings from 9500 feet MSL, Trout Creek Pass Colorado. I have been playing with control line models, RC and free flight models and full size aircraft for 70 years. My son gave me a DJI Phantom 1 several years ago, sans camera, and I get it out and fly it around my place. I live remotely in the mountains so I only have animals to worry about complaining of noise! My grandson got a mini 2 and watching him stirred up the need to get back in the air for me. I purchased a Mavic Air 2 with the smart controller. Decided I needed the brighter screen. The aircraft has been setting on a table in my garage totally unopened and untouched since delivery. I have been delaying tearing in to the package because I want to make sure I am as equipped to fly it and not crash right off the bat. I have been consuming large amounts of videos and reviews on everything pertaining to drone operations plus flying the dickens out of the Phantom 1. Now I am ready to see what's in that DJI box but before I do, I need another bit of advice from this forum. I have read numerous posts regarding drone insurance. BUT from your personal experiences, would you do the DJI Care insurance or private such as State Farm? I am also still unsure of the location or procedures to take the Part 107 exam near Colorado Springs. I know there are some active members in Denver and will most certainly appreciate input and advice.

On a personal note and observation, I have been most impressed by the great posts and kind answers on this forum. Not seen too often on the internet anymore. Thanks for any advice in advance.
Greetings from Colorado Springs! This is a wonderful forum to live and learn. Lots and lots of great people with varying degrees of skill and knowledge. If you have any specific questions about the Springs area, you can ask me anytime at: @theDRONEranger. I would be most happy to answer to the best of my ability or guide you to someone who may. Again, welcome aboard!

For the Part 107, if you are a current private or commercial pilot, take the online training and online exam offered by the FAA. It took me about 4 hours to do and then a CFI needs to confirm currency of your biennial flight review. If you are not currently a pilot, then you need to determine whether you want to use a commercial training course (about $150) or self-study. There are several free self study options on you tube and a great compendium prepared by Rupert Law - Drone Law and Drone Attorney Assistance which covers everything you need to know. I also recommend that you either purchase the ASA Prepware application for your Apple or Android tablet or purchase the Gleim Remote Pilot study guide (about $19). Both of these have a large collection of test questions and explanations. Go over all of those at least twice or until you are scoring 90 percent on the practice exams. The FAA DroneZone website explains how to schedule the test and how to find the closest test center to you Become a Drone Pilot .
I am sure someone else has already asked this question...my teachers always told me there were no stupid quertions. I am going to be 83, I love flying, but only for pleasure and do not need to use the drone to make a single cent. I use the stills and footage for my travel and local videos to send to friends. Why would I want to study for yet another examination ( I am a retired ophthalmologist/eye surgeon)?

I am sure someone else has already asked this question...my teachers always told me there were no stupid quertions. I am going to be 83, I love flying, but only for pleasure and do not need to use the drone to make a single cent. I use the stills and footage for my travel and local videos to send to friends. Why would I want to study for yet another examination ( I am a retired ophthalmologist/eye surgeon)?
Right now in the US there is little reason to get a part 107 unless you have commercial intentions or you want to fly higher than 400’AGL next to buildings. Different story elsewhere.

Reactions: Steel63
Right now in the US there is little reason to get a part 107 unless you have commercial intentions or you want to fly higher than 400’AGL next to buildings. Different story elsewhere.
Vindibona- THANK YOU for affirming this! I've been into photography my entire life (at least since 8 years old-now nearly 83), and have shot thousands of images, and videos. I have never made a penny from my work, but have been richly rewarded by it. No need to go high for me. Everything I want is under 100 feet most of the time. The different perspective is what I was after when deciding to fly a drone for photography. I have never had so much fun in photography since I started to fly and make videos.

Reactions: Steel63

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! I have all my photography and drone equipment insured through State Farm, just be careful when making a claim if you have other State Farm policies (Home, Auto, Etc.) making a claim can increase premiums for those policies too. I didn't know this until a few years back when I had to make a claim for one of my DSLR's and spoke with my agent about it. Fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS