DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State and local governments are not permitted to regulate

DSR

Reactions
Please go to https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=22938, which begins with: "Congress has provided the FAA with exclusive authority to regulate aviation safety, the efficiency of the navigable airspace, and air traffic control, among other things. State and local governments are not permitted to regulate any type of aircraft operations, such as flight paths or altitudes, or the navigable airspace."

I am among many of you that would like to do my drone thing at a local park. To prosecute you for anything, the local government would have to pass an ordinance preventing you from taking off or landing the drone in the park. Then, you only need to take off and land the craft just outside the park! You can still operate the craft while in the park.

Please be diplomatic when discussing this with the local authority because you represent the rest of us!

Reactions: JDawg and mereflyer
I see you’re new here. This topic has been discussed a lot. You may want to read some of the extensive existing discussion.
Yes Mr. Salty, I have seen many comments about drone flight jurisdiction. I just want to make sure that no local hero takes it on himself to save the world from drones. I've seen a couple of videos on YouTube where this has happened.

Reactions: mereflyer
I am a Police Officer in Tulsa Oklahoma. We have no local laws or ordinances on flying drones. We try to use common since when we run into someone complaining about someone else enjoying the freedoms afforded them in this great nation we live in. As long as a UAV pilot respects his fellow man and his privacy we are good. In other words if you you fly into another person's back yard and get shot down then you asked for that. If you fly in he park and follow FAA rules and regulations, have fun.

In other words if you you fly into another person's back yard and get shot down then you asked for that.

I hope a police officer would know that shooting down a drone is a crime, and that discharging a firearm into the air within the city limits is probably illegal and reckless as well.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT and W2EJ
I am a Police Officer in Tulsa Oklahoma. We have no local laws or ordinances on flying drones. We try to use common since when we run into someone complaining about someone else enjoying the freedoms afforded them in this great nation we live in. As long as a UAV pilot respects his fellow man and his privacy we are good. In other words if you you fly into another person's back yard and get shot down then you asked for that. If you fly in he park and follow FAA rules and regulations, have fun.
Well, you're a good man! I retired from a local municipality in Atlanta, and understand that police are sometimes put in bad situations because of legislation drafted by fanatical politicians. I salute you for using your common sense in handling drone situations.

One of our greatest and most coveted privileges of living in this great nation is out right to privacy. All have a reasonable expectation of privacy in our own backyard. Sure that person who shot down the drone in is back yard would be charged with discharging a firearm within the city limits in most cases. He may be charged with malicious mischief as well, both are citations. But if you consider that it takes time to notice a drone in your backyard, time to get and load your shotgun and then time to go and shot the drone. This would indicate the drone spent to much time in that backyard and was violating another's privacy. I would sooner pay the citation for discharging a firearm within the city limits than be charged with invasion of another's privacy. This would be a clear invision of a citizen's privacy. Of course a Judge would always be the one to make the final decision on these matters. We as Patrol Officers just deal with the laws as written. The main point here is use common sense, be active, and ask your local lawmakers change unfair ordinances.

Reactions: dirkclod
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne