DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stick Error- Even on Brand New Controller

lexustbs

Reactions
Crazy issue.....

So I get my Mavic 2 Pro out one day to do a flight. Fire up the controller and get a stick error warning. So I go into the app and do a calibration, but it continues to beep and say stick error. I try calibrations in the middle of fields, mutiple times etc etc and nothing works.

After getting pissed and tired, I purchased a new controller. After getting the controller I linked it with the aircraft and had 3 successful flights. Now heres the crazy part, I go to fly again on the same day and I get the stick error again! No calibration will fix it. I've tried two iPads with new installed DJI Go 4 software, new ipad cables, firmware downgrades, upgrades, resets and nothing works.

So in summary. Two different controllers, one brand new and they both exhibit the same stick error message.

EDIT: forgot to say that when I do the calibration there is no oddity. All movements go to 100% then back to zero. This was on both controllers.

Last edited:
I occasionally, maybe 1 or 2 times out of 20 flights.... I have found on my controller that if I flip the controller left stick in a couple of directions it will stop and give the “ready to fly” message. After this my flights have been without event.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious but having made this mistake myself I thought it worth mentioning, do you have a magnetic case on the ipads? I think it's EMF error rather than stick error but I had problems with my controller out of the blue and calibration wouldn't sort it, I then realised it was the Samsung tablet case which was magnetic. With that out the way the controller worked perfectly.

It sounds like it must be something in your environment causing the issue since it appears you've changed all the parts.

A magnetic case is also likely to interfere with the compass in the tablet, possibly interfering with the information on the radar display. Any kind of magnet around the drone, tablet, or controller should be avoided.

Yeah this stick error is strange. I had my M2P for about a year and I had no problems at all. I didn't fly much recently thanks to the winter weather until a couple of days ago I decided to turn on my drone to see if any updates waiting. Then I got this strange stick error! Luckily it seemed disappear pretty quickly and I didn't recall I did anything special. I didn't know there is anything one can calibrate to fix this problem until I saw this post! I hope this issue won't show up when I fly my drone next time!

Crazy issue.....

So I get my Mavic 2 Pro out one day to do a flight. Fire up the controller and get a stick error warning. So I go into the app and do a calibration, but it continues to beep and say stick error. I try calibrations in the middle of fields, mutiple times etc etc and nothing works.
No need for this if its an error with control sticks, it's the compass best done out in the open.
Make sure you complete fully by calibrating the gimbal control and hit the 'tick' check box to close.

I also have this stick error several times recently. I tried to calibrate it. Sometimes, it would still have the same problem, sometimes, it would be ok. Often, I tried to fold the controller several times until the error disappears.

Another issue I have experienced recently is the video and photo buttons have a long time delay of several seconds. Not sure what could be the root cause for this problem.

Not sure if this is your real problem with delayed photo/video trigger but if you're in video or photo, the first press of photo or video button changes to that mode. Then a subsequent press takes a photo or engages recording.

A slow SD card or low signal can delay response.

Thanks for the responses.

I have tried to calibrate with another ipad (no cases) android etc etc. Even used a 6ft cable and in the middle of a field with no luck. I just find it so odd that one controller did it, then I buy a brand new one and it does the same thing after a few flights. Tried to call DJI and all they can say is to send it in. Guess I will

Not sure if this is your real problem with delayed photo/video trigger but if you're in video or photo, the first press of photo or video button changes to that mode. Then a subsequent press takes a photo or engages recording.

A slow SD card or low signal can delay response.

Thank you for your reply! I had to press the button 4-7 times before it responses. I have Extreme Pro 128gb U3 card, I also tried to format the card. The drone does response to stick movement though. I am wondering if it is the signal delay. Sometimes, you may not see any update to distance / height information until a few seconds later.

Let me elaborate further. So after trying calibrations and a new controller I got the idea to switch stick modes. When I opened up the stick mode it shows "custom" but I always fly in mode 1. So come to find out, I have third party software flying the drone for aggregate inventory purposes and it was switching the controls in the background but once exiting the app it was throwing a bug into the drone making it think the sticks were in the wrong spots. I can replicate this all day and the simple fix is to go into the stick mode and change the mode back to one

I had the same problem the other day. I restarted everything, still the same.
Eventually the stick error msg disappeared and I started flying. Fortunately I have only flown the drone a few hundred meters and wanted to fly backwards. The drone started moving to the left. I tried again, same.
I was panicking because my RTH became unreliable in the past few flights, sometimes landing somewhere totally not in the home position, other times precisely at the home point. So I needed to land it manually. And now the drone would not respond to the stick properly! How to get the drone back?
Eventually I turned the drone around 180° found myself on the image and pushed the drone forward. Luckily forward worked.
Now I wonder if the two things are related or not... [emoji848]
No sign of error in the app. Latest firmware, calibrated everything and this... Any idea?

Like Lexustbs, check your stick mode. Even if it looks right, try changing it to another mode, exit the setting page, then go back and set it to your preferred mode. Most common is mode 2.

One thing to remember is that the sticks on the DJI controllers use 'Hall Effect' - which is a proportional variation in a magnetic field - to produce proportional control outputs from the sticks. Hall Effect is very sensitive and I've seen positional drift in a Mavic Pro caused just by having the metal tip of a magnetic USB connector left in the side charging port of a controller.

Hi I have same problem, but now more often and sometimes it comes off when I touch sticks sometimes need to restart RC, and if it not helps need to calibrate on go4 app, and i find out before calibrating what left stick 1% forward??? I need to try changing modes and I will come back if it helps

Never had this issue with MP (1)
Zoom never before. For the last 20 times it sounded all 20 times. I could only stop it by shutting down and restarting the controller. Usually, it took three shutdown and restarts to stop.
I tried calibrating the sticks
I read in here take off the magnetic charging cable accessory, and so I did.
The next day, I was going to try the change stick mode trick. As I was trying to find the option in the app, I realized that the controller did not sound.
Shut EVERYTHING down, and started all up again. No Sound.
Fingers crossed

Last edited:
I bought a used remote to use as a secondary and fortunately checked RC settings including calibration and noted it said mode was custom and I think not showing any mapping. Switched modes and that cleared up.

So yes, togging modes can help.

I just finished reading this thread and realized I had a magnetic strip on the back of my Samsung for my phone holder. I removed the magnet and the Stick went away. Problem solved.

Reactions: Thomas B

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998