DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stick sensitivity/gain control

Raptorman

Reactions
From all I've seen and heard there is no way to adjust the stick sensitivity other than selecting tripod/normal/sport mode -- has this been completely confirmed? If so I think that's kind of a deal breaker for me. If I can't adjust to make getting smooth jerk-free video then what's the point of having it.

Brian

From all I've seen and heard there is no way to adjust the stick sensitivity other than selecting tripod/normal/sport mode -- has this been completely confirmed? If so I think that's kind of a deal breaker for me. If I can't adjust to make getting smooth jerk-free video then what's the point of having it.

Brian
By default, they are set at the lowest setting available when we had control over the yaw expo. It isn't an issue.

By default, they are set at the lowest setting available when we had control over the yaw expo. It isn't an issue.

That's not very encouraging if true. I've seen a number of videos that specifically mention this issue and the video footage would suggest the control is not as smooth as I'd like.

OTH, if the Mavic Air 2 like the Mini have always used the Fly app and it's never had control over the sticks sensitivity I have to ask what you mean by "when we had control over the yaw expo". I have no experience with this app as I used the Go app for the Inspire 1 Pro and the Go 4 app for the P4P and both had controls for stick sensitivity. It's possible, I guess, that DJI, having positioned the Air 2 in the beginner range, has decided to prevent newbies from making a mess of things with such controls -- if that's the case then we can expect the Fly app will never have control of the stick sensitivity. Sadly, this, along with the fixed aperture and focus camera, is making it less likely I'll get the Air 2.

Brian

Dont worry it will have all this and more in near future. It just came out, app and firmware is developing quickly. For sure it wont have less options and features than previous Air 1.

That's not very encouraging if true. I've seen a number of videos that specifically mention this issue and the video footage would suggest the control is not as smooth as I'd like.

OTH, if the Mavic Air 2 like the Mini have always used the Fly app and it's never had control over the sticks sensitivity I have to ask what you mean by "when we had control over the yaw expo". I have no experience with this app as I used the Go app for the Inspire 1 Pro and the Go 4 app for the P4P and both had controls for stick sensitivity. It's possible, I guess, that DJI, having positioned the Air 2 in the beginner range, has decided to prevent newbies from making a mess of things with such controls -- if that's the case then we can expect the Fly app will never have control of the stick sensitivity. Sadly, this, along with the fixed aperture and focus camera, is making it less likely I'll get the Air 2.

Brian
Coming from the Mavic 2 which only has 4K 30fps, I have learned to turn slower, so that it isn't a problem. At 4K 60fps, you can get away with a lot faster turns. I use silicone rubber thumb knobs from the P3P over the sticks to extend them and give a little more precision. GO 4 allows expo control over the sticks, but, by default, most older drones were set way too aggressively and needed expo adjustments. The MA2 in N mode is fine by default. Not really an issue if you turn more gently with with some mild restraint.

Reactions: TwoLiterSoda
Coming from the Mavic 2 which only has 4K 30fps, I have learned to turn slower, so that it isn't a problem. At 4K 60fps, you can get away with a lot faster turns. I use silicone rubber thumb knobs from the P3P over the sticks to extend them and give a little more precision. GO 4 allows expo control over the sticks, but, by default, most older drones were set way too aggressively and needed expo adjustments. The MA2 in N mode is fine by default. Not really an issue if you turn more gently with with some mild restraint.

Good point about having greater tolerance at 60fps over 30fps -- if only the folks that utter the word 'cinematic' at every opportunity understood that. Still, being able to very smoothly yaw the drone AND change the tilt of the gimbal is pretty important if you want to look more professional. In the motion control world (automation/robotics) you'd additionally want to be able to do an s-curve accel ramp at each end of travel but getting that level of control in a prosumer grade drone is perhaps asking for too much.

Brian

... you'd additionally want to be able to do an s-curve accel ramp at each end of travel but getting that level of control in a prosumer grade drone is perhaps asking for too much.
If I understand you, we have had that in DJI Go4 (see below), but it's not in the DJI Fly app.
1589977520834.png
(PS: I don't think those are very good settings in the illustration, excepting the Rudder curve, but let's not debate that now.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Umberto
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190