DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Still a stigma even after the CAA rule changes?

inkytog

Reactions
I know lockdown may make this tricky to answer because there’s likely less of us flying but I’ve been wondering...

With the new year rule changes, has this helped ease attitude from public and law enforcement to drone use?

The laws are quite new - and I’m still a little anxious about drone flying in areas that were previously out of bounds.

If we look specifically at the mini 2 ( or any sub 250g drone) are you more confident now to fly it in built up areas/city centres etc or is there always this nagging fear of someone asking you to stop- and then getting embroiled in a discussion about the new laws?

I’m fascinated by the potential of shooting more (even if the camera isn’t as ‘good’ as my mavic 2 pro) but constantly worried about being stopped by police or whoever is being anti-drone at the time.

I doubt the public are even aware of any changes in the rules. One of my friends is a local bobby, and she had no idea about the change either. And, as you said - we can only go out for food, emergencies or exercise, so nobody is flying anyway. ?‍♂️

That said. I’ve never been worried about people being bothered when I have all my paperwork, and I’m within the law so the only time I was ever bothered I encouraged the person to call the police, and they didn’t. Most people are more interested than bothered.

@inkytog ,im with @Lastrexking on that one,i have flown my small helicopters in my local footy field half a mile from my home ,a few times in windless conditions and nothing has changed for me, people still stop and ask about them,and seem amazed at how they fly ,they are great for keeping ones hand in ,and so much fun they have altitude hold and giro stabilisation but no GPS and at less than £60 a pop are not going to break the bank ,if the wind or a tree does happen to grab them

I doubt the public are even aware of any changes in the rules. One of my friends is a local bobby, and she had no idea about the change either. And, as you said - we can only go out for food, emergencies or exercise, so nobody is flying anyway. ?‍♂️

That said. I’ve never been worried about people being bothered when I have all my paperwork, and I’m within the law so the only time I was ever bothered I encouraged the person to call the police, and they didn’t. Most people are more interested than bothered.
I find people in Ireland are the same, they haven't a clue about the new EASA regulations, and most are just curious. That said, I think we're a bit more laid back over here

Outside the endless cycles of lockdowns ive never had an issue with the police. They aren't bothered at all.
Very rarely i come across a jumped up angry member of the public (but only in West Wales for some reason) but again if you know the laws and know your rights, let them rant away and carry on.
That said, if its busy or other reasons just fly somewhere else or not at all. Ive turned up at places after a long walk or drive to fly at times, decided it was too crowded or not a good idea and simply left. Just because you CAN fly somewhere doesn't always mean you should.

One thing i will say as above though, most people either dont know and/or dont care about the rules, specifically where they can fly, rules regarding people and often, VLOS.
Communication isn't great though - even though we switched to the EASA rules i dont recall any emails off SkyWise or the registration portals informing all registered users of a change.

Outside the endless cycles of lockdowns ive never had an issue with the police. They aren't bothered at all.
Very rarely i come across a jumped up angry member of the public (but only in West Wales for some reason) but again if you know the laws and know your rights, let them rant away and carry on.
That said, if its busy or other reasons just fly somewhere else or not at all. Ive turned up at places after a long walk or drive to fly at times, decided it was too crowded or not a good idea and simply left. Just because you CAN fly somewhere doesn't always mean you should.

One thing i will say as above though, most people either dont know and/or dont care about the rules, specifically where they can fly, rules regarding people and often, VLOS.
Communication isn't great though - even though we switched to the EASA rules i dont recall any emails off SkyWise or the registration portals informing all registered users of a change.
Well, you have a point. When you buy anything over 250g with a camera, you're supposed to register it with EASA; that isn't communicated in Argos or in most stores. If you get it into people's heads that they have to register, some might absorb the rules when they go through the process....others will just ignore.

Regarding the other issue, I do the same, I regularly pull out of a flight if it's too crowded - in my eyes, curious people can be a distraction, and you don't want that when flying a drone

Reactions: tibzee
They do get a leaflet in the box telling them about registration.
The issue is from my experience, even though my devices are registered, not once did i receive any email or communication saying the rules were changing.
And if i didnt, i assume nobody really did. So a lot of people will be entirely unaware of the changes.

The issue is from my experience, even though my devices are registered, not once did i receive any email or communication saying the rules were changing.
And if i didnt, i assume nobody really did. So a lot of people will be entirely unaware of the changes.
Well, nothing came in the box with any drone I bought in Ireland. It should be standard practice everywhere. They definitely should improve communication on rule changes too

I got an email from the CAA.

@Cymru Monday just gone X Ray ,did a piece about the new drone rule changes on BBC wales

@Cymru Monday just gone X Ray ,did a piece about the new drone rule changes on BBC wales
I half watched it.
But most people wouldnt. I still cant help thinking communication from the CAA to people *who it already has email addresses for* would have been beneficial!
Just checked with a parent - no email received at all from CAA. Was unaware anything had changed.

Encouraging people to sign up to SkyWise might help too (or making the app fit for purpose)

@Cymru ,have to be honest ,i have had the Sky Wise app on my phone for over two years ,and every time there has been some info regarding drones or airspace restrictions i have always received them both on the app and as a text ,as you probably know you can choose which alerts you receive in the app settings

@Cymru ,have to be honest ,i have had the Sky Wise app on my phone for over two years ,and every time there has been some info regarding drones or airspace restrictions i have always received them both on the app and as a text ,as you probably know you can choose which alerts you receive in the app settings

Android or iPhone?

Ive had it on 3 android devices, parent on 2 others and not once has it alerted to anything at all.
Even manually loading it turns up data many many months old.
Only the website seems to work.

i am on IPhone

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11