DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Still Confused when LAANC Not Available

apeel

Reactions
Sorry if the answer to this question is obvious, but I really seem to have a hard time understanding when / where I can fly as a Rec User when using KittyHawk if an area is not covered by LAANC. I want to be sure I follow the rules, so I will ask you folks. Hopefully someone can answer!

I would like to fly within a limited area around this GPS location: LAT: 29.42659900; LONG :-98.54423700 which is around the 'Our Lady of the Lake University' in San Antonio. When I check KittyHawk, I see the following airspace restrictions (see screenshot).

1) There must be a stadium nearby, hence the warning regarding the 'Alamodome'. I would not fly if there is a TFR in effect, nor would I fly over the Alamodome even if there was not a TFR in effect.
2) The airports around this area are Class C and Class D and the KittyHawk instructional say "Low Altitude Only", so I assume that means below 400-feet?

My main problem is that the section for UAS Facility Map says "Permissible altitude for authorization: 400", again suggesting that I can fly here up to 400-feet. But it says LAANC not available here, so I cannot solicited authorization. So my basic question is: if LAANC is not available in an area, and all other warnings simply refer to Low Altitude flying, can I still fly as a Rec User without authorization provided I stay within VLOS and 400-ft AGL and do not fly when there is a TRF in effect? Please see KittyHawk screenshot of this location.

Kittyhawk.io 2019-12-02 13-09-54.jpg

To fly in Class B, C or D airspace you would need ATC approval without the availability LAANC for a hobbist. I've been to San Antonio a few times and the airspace is very crowded due to the closeness of the surrounding AFB's in the area. The best area I would suggest would be out along the way to Sea World or along the intersate 10 heading east outside of city.

Last edited:
Sorry if the answer to this question is obvious, but I really seem to have a hard time understanding when / where I can fly as a Rec User when using KittyHawk if an area is not covered by LAANC. I want to be sure I follow the rules, so I will ask you folks. Hopefully someone can answer!

I would like to fly within a limited area around this GPS location: LAT: 29.42659900; LONG :-98.54423700 which is around the 'Our Lady of the Lake University' in San Antonio. When I check KittyHawk, I see the following airspace restrictions (see screenshot).

1) There must be a stadium nearby, hence the warning regarding the 'Alamodome'. I would not fly if there is a TFR in effect, nor would I fly over the Alamodome even if there was not a TFR in effect.
2) The airports around this area are Class C and Class D and the KittyHawk instructional say "Low Altitude Only", so I assume that means below 400-feet?

My main problem is that the section for UAS Facility Map says "Permissible altitude for authorization: 400", again suggesting that I can fly here up to 400-feet. But it says LAANC not available here, so I cannot solicited authorization. So my basic question is: if LAANC is not available in an area, and all other warnings simply refer to Low Altitude flying, can I still fly as a Rec User without authorization provided I stay within VLOS and 400-ft AGL and do not fly when there is a TRF in effect? Please see KittyHawk screenshot of this location.

View attachment 87126

No - you cannot fly without authorization in controlled airspace at any altitude. If LAANC is not available then you need to apply for authorization through the FAA DroneZone website.

To fly in Class B, C or D airspace you would need ATC approval
Thanks for the reply, Recoveryone. I am not recognizing the 'ATC' acronym. What does it stand for? Is it easy to get ATC approval for a rec user?

Thanks for the reply, Recoveryone. I am not recognizing the 'ATC' acronym. What does it stand for? Is it easy to get ATC approval for a rec user?
Air Traffic Control...…..ATC

Thanks also to sar104 for his/her rely.

And just to clarify - as a recreational pilot you don't contact ATC, local towers or anyone else under the new regulations. It's either LAANC or FAA DroneZone.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Once you log in, if you do use DroneZone, you will see this
Part 107 Waivers & Authorizations
sUAS operators who want to fly outside the requirements of the Small UAS Rule (Part 107) may request a waiver and/or airspace authorization using the provided tools.

Applicants are encouraged to review the list of regulations subject to waiver and have these resources available when creating an Operational Waiver application:
Applicants are encouraged to review and have these resources available when creating an Airspace Authorization or Airspace Waiver application:
These tools should only be used to request waivers or authorizations for operations flown under Title 14 Part 107. They are not intended for operations flown in accordance with The Exception for Recreational Flyers. <-----------(?)

You will get this

Page Not Found
The page or file you requested cannot be found.
ID: 212944224.

You have to go to the right side of the page and click on

Create Part 107 Waiver/Authorization (white lettering on blue background)

Once you log in, if you do use DroneZone, you will see this
Part 107 Waivers & Authorizations
sUAS operators who want to fly outside the requirements of the Small UAS Rule (Part 107) may request a waiver and/or airspace authorization using the provided tools.

Applicants are encouraged to review the list of regulations subject to waiver and have these resources available when creating an Operational Waiver application:
Applicants are encouraged to review and have these resources available when creating an Airspace Authorization or Airspace Waiver application:
These tools should only be used to request waivers or authorizations for operations flown under Title 14 Part 107. They are not intended for operations flown in accordance with The Exception for Recreational Flyers. <-----------(?)

You will get this

Page Not Found
The page or file you requested cannot be found.
ID: 212944224.

You have to go to the right side of the page and click on

Create Part 107 Waiver/Authorization (white lettering on blue background)

This discussion seems to be about authorization for recreational flights, which are in the recreational flyer dashboard:

1575339552867.png

Let's highlight a couple of important points here:

• A) Without an authorization you can NOT fly in Controlled airspace unless you are flying at an FAA recognized flying field (usually an R/C club).
  • B) You are not allowed to contact ATC to request authorization. It's expressly stated as Not Allowed.
  • C) Your options as a Recreational Flyer are:
    • 1) LAANC
    • 2) DroneZone
    • 3) FAA Approved Flying Site
    • 4) Fly in Uncontrolled (Class G) airspace
  • D) You can not utilize Part 107 authorizations for Recreational flights. They are not one and the same and you can't mix/match rules like that.Grids... those listed altitudes are what you are likely to be approved for via the LAANC portal if everything is working properly. Things happen and sometimes requests are denied at or below the Grid Altitudes.
@sar104 nailed it for us.

Last edited:
Let's highlight a couple of important points here:

• A) Without an authorization you can NOT fly in Controlled airspace unless you are flying at an FAA recognized flying field (usually an R/C club).
  • B) You are not allowed to contact ATC to request authorization. It's expressly stated as Not Allowed.
  • C) Your options as a Recreational Flyer are:
    • 1) LAANC
    • 2) DroneZone
    • 3) FAA Approved Flying Site
    • 4) Fly in Uncontrolled (Class G) airspace
  • D) You can not utilize Part 107 authorizations for Recreational flights. They are not one and the same and you can't mix/match rules like that.Grids... those listed altitudes are what you are likely to be approved for via the LAANC portal if everything is working properly. Things happen and sometimes requests are denied at or below the Grid Altitudes.
@sar104 nailed it for us.
And at DroneZone you can get a defined area clearance for 2 years if you want... easy. I have one for a couple of square miles which encroaches slightly on 2 different NFZs.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada