DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

stock battery mod

I was wondering if these lightly made cables that are made to charge a battery will have enough mass in them to supply enough amps when the drone is packing extra weight and the motors demand lots of power . Skinny wires don’t carry high amperage very well .

The charge cables can handle it! They are around the same gauge as the battery to main board cables which carry the entire amp draw that the drone requires.

Reactions: Mavic Dude
Even on the cheap knockoff charge cables . I had a cheap charge cable for the mavic pro and I tossed it as I thought it was junk

Reactions: Former Member
Even on the cheap knockoff charge cables . I had a cheap charge cable for the mavic pro and I tossed it as I thought it was junk

Nooo! I would only use DJI OEM quality or better.

I came from the RC helicopter and RC 1/5 car world, and some of those monsters carried 160 amps from the battery through the cables to the ESC. No cheaping out on the wires, ever! lol

Reactions: mnis and Mavic Dude
69da014f9ec61953e05eaddcc3a4bb23.jpg

Because of this post I was thing that the cables were being made out of cheap knockoff car chargers .
Guess I misunderstood

69da014f9ec61953e05eaddcc3a4bb23.jpg

Because of this post I was thing that the cables were being made out of cheap knockoff car chargers .
Guess I misunderstood
No you didn't misunderstand. I haven't bought any cables from him, but if I did, I would make absolutely sure that they were tried and tested by me before I ever sent it to you. I think for your drone that I making I will use at least DJI grade quality and probably better.

Thank you for pointing that out.

I know everyone wants to save a buck or two but a power cable is not one of them . I remember reading on phantom’s that welded there battery clip from high amps fusing parts together. I know from my auto repair experience that a high amp load needs a larger cable if it’s long as compare to a short cable can be smaller . Guess that’s why long extension cords always work better when they are a heavy one as compared to a skinny one

Today the ship was came and I test the cable with 2 stock batteries I can believe it work but I have to press all three power buttons

Ok.... so to be clear, I have only used the DJi car charger to take off the end. Then attached a XT60. Using 12 gauge wire. It's not rocket science. Using unshielded wiring between the two connections. I haven't sold one cable. I am not in the business of selling anything. I can fabricate these cables. Send em to Dji to be tested, I genuinely don't understand the angle of attack here...but whatever. I'm off to fly y'all enjoy

I build tube guitar amps, I don't need to be checked by a freelance auto mechanic. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but post some of your work with your bird, I'd love a lesson today.

The only thing in question that I can think of is how heavy of wire is necessary so it won’t get hot during flying . I didn’t know if a simple charging wire would be enough for flying . I could not find a clear answer . I was not trying to be offensive to you . If you took it that way I’m sorry . [emoji20]

Oh : by the way not necessarily a freelance auto mechanic as I have had my own shop for 30 years . I have built close to 200 engines from gas trucks to diesels to dirt toys like dirt bikes , 1000 cc SxS , 250 2 stroke turbo charges mountain sleds .
Maybe one step or two above freelance yahoo

The only thing in question that I can think of is how heavy of wire is necessary so it won’t get hot during flying . I didn’t know if a simple charging wire would be enough for flying . I could not find a clear answer . I was not trying to be offensive to you . If you took it that way I’m sorry . [emoji20]
Do you think stock batteries heavy then lihv batteries check this video this men set up 2 lihv batteries look more heavy then stock battery but he stilll get more range on mavic

12 gauge. And we are talking 30 minutes or so. This will not be enough time to overheat, unless you use ridiculously as you said “skinny” wire. Technically if you used oh I don’t know.....28 gauge wire, it would probably not burn up, but would absolutely get hot in 30 minutes. We are talking 12 volts, 2-3000mah, at a relatively quick drain. 12 gauge stranded works perfectly. It’s pliable also.

Oh : by the way not necessarily a freelance auto mechanic as I have had my own shop for 30 years . I have built close to 200 engines from gas trucks to diesels to dirt toys like dirt bikes , 1000 cc SxS , 250 2 stroke turbo charges mountain sleds .
Maybe one step or two above freelance yahoo
12 volts. 3000mah. 12 gauge wire, even 14 would be fine. 30 minutes with quickly draining batteries. It won’t catch fire mid air lol.. if you used 28 gauge wire it might be a problem. It might melt into the body of the Mavic even. So there.. now you have a standard to go by. 12-14 gauge wire will be fine. Stranded by the way. Not solid copper. un shielded.

Reactions: Cpt.Barbossa1072
My comment was to do with using the cheap after market car chargers as a primary wire for the battery modd cable . I bought 2 of them before I bought a dji car charger .
They don’t come close to a 14 ga. Wire . I stripped some 16 ga. Wire and it measures .056 “. I then opened up the wire on the cheap car charger and it comes in at a whopping .040 “ . Well that is a 18 ga. Wire. After I had read about people having battery clips welding them self’s in some of the older quads I thought the cheap chargers might not be the best choice. I know the wire got hot when I tried using the cheap car charger so I spent the 80 bucks up here and bought the dji one . The cheap one I got for 12 bucks off flea bay . I know the cheap charger don’t come close to 14ga . With my limited knowledge and a shop full of tools I was able to measure the cheap charger wires .

Reactions: Cpt.Barbossa1072
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111