DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stoping copying

Hiwayman

Reactions
I have been asked to provide a short video which will be a sequence of still images. Is there anyway to stop them being copied once the video is posted on the customers website?

If someone wants to copy there is always a way even if its as simple as taking a photo of the computer screen from their smartphone.

Reactions: The Rolling Drones
I have been asked to provide a short video which will be a sequence of still images. Is there anyway to stop them being copied once the video is posted on the customers website?

There really aren't any technical controls that prevent it. I'd handle this contractually.

Aside from inserting watermarks, you can resize them for the website so they don't get the full resolution stills/vids.
It will be a balance between quality/security. That will help, but nothing is 100 percent.
You just have to make 'em "earn it"

put your copy write on all photos doesn't stop them but you can sue if you find your photos have been used with out your permission

Reactions: Jaysjob
put your copy write on all photos doesn't stop them but you can sue if you find your photos have been used with out your permission
Generally speaking, if the country you reside in is a signatory of the Berne Convention, copyright applies with or without a watermark.

In the US you can register that copyright with the United States Copyright Office.

The watermark is to deter because nobody wants to use a pic with said ugly watermark... but then you spoil the actual client's website as well, so no chance.
Same as using low res, nobody wants a website with a low res pic nowadays.

Just look around for whether someone's using your image and go after them. No other choice really.

Reactions: BigAl07
Place I used to work for (in Canada) had their logo lifted and used in Eastern Europe... hard to stop it. Watermarks are good... its a small deterrent.

Curiosity is a curse at times- I need to ask. What is it about these images that makes you think they might be so valuable? The fact you seem able to plan the flight in advance with a reasonable expectation you will get the shots the client needs suggests pretty much anyone could do the same thing (or get someone to do it for them).

The watermark is to deter because nobody wants to use a pic with said ugly watermark... but then you spoil the actual client's website as well,

Bingo !
Not going to work with a clients website like that.

Just resize so they look good on a large computer screen, it's not like they can download photos from a video like they can with jpegs etc . . . if they screen shot it they'd be lucky to get an A4 size print to look ok.

Most would probably be after shots to print for larger wall canvases etc, but those looking for screensavers ? Well, again as someone posted you can take some consolation that someone likes your photo long enough on their background until they find one they like better.

There are expensive ways to secure your video content that require some infrastructure.
You can use a video hosting service that encrypts the video file at rest and in-transit. This way, if someone finds the full path to your file and downloads it, they can't do anything with since it's encrypted. In-transit encrypting prevents someone who is sniffing web traffic from getting anything useful.
Then you can setup authenticated/authorized access to the file so that you control who can log in to get to the video.
While nothing is completely fool-proof this gets close. But it is costly. Controlling access is an on-going exercise.

While there are legal protections, pursuing violators can be costly and time consuming

I’ve had my photos posted on Flickr that included my copyright watermarks show up in wierd internet places without my watermarks (use Google search image to find them). I also sell photos online through Alamy, so I have a legal way to document their value. A few companies have used my photos from Flickr on their websites without my permission and agreed to reimburse me when contacted about it by a polite, well documented letter. It’s sad to say that I’ve actually made more money from some of my photos this way than when sold the legal way.

In short, if you post it, anybody can copy it. So the best you can do is to not forget about it and check to see if it is being used without your permission afterwards.

As pointed out before, your work is copyright protected wether you put a copyright © symbol with your name and date on it or not. If you are in the US and register your photos or artwork with the copyright office, they will legally represent your interests in court and can fine the infringing party, otherwise you have to go through it yourself (which I did).

Last edited:
Just be flattered that someone thinks your pictures are good enough to steal ;)

I've had 7 of my videos stolen on YT. I caught each one of them by doing some simple searches. I friend of mine caught another guy. Some were 15-30 seconds, a few were the entire video. Last year a guy with many, many millions of views and a half million subs stole 1 minute of a 3 minute video I did. I contacted YT and within 30 minutes they had block the video and given him a strike. Within 35 minutes the guy contacted me and started a long chain of apologizes. It turns out this guy made his living on YT and I just put a big dent in it. His video already had 8 million views and it was only 3 weeks old. Anyway this guy went back and forth begging me to retract my YT complaint. At the end of the day he paid for my Mavic 2 Pro ?

If you find anyone who has stolen your video file and complaint and hit them in the wallet, believe me it works. All my videos have small watermarks but that doesn't deter people

You can overlay your stills with a copyright, your trademark or simply your name. Check you post processing software.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter