DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stopped the props by finger. Motors damaged?

sliyk

Reactions
Hi guys
I attempted to fly the drone indoors (not a very good idea) and I found it to be drifting towards and obstacle. I caught it from the bottom and it immediately sped up to get out of my hand. I tried to emergency **** down but in the process my finger caught the right sided propellers stopping their spin (my fingers are okay).
Since then the dro e has bee. Flying fine with no problem and the propellants are good too.
I wanted to know if this sort of action could have done any permanent damage to the spinning motors?
Thanks.

FYI If you caught the drone from the bottom, simply tilting left or right would have cut the motors off immediately.
I hope your fingers are ok...
I don’t think the motors have suffered long term damage but worth keeping her low and keep a close eye over the next few flights

FYI If you caught the drone from the bottom, simply tilting left or right would have cut the motors off immediately.
I hope your fingers are ok...
I don’t think the motors have suffered long term damage but worth keeping her low and keep a close eye over the next few flights

Thanks for the reassurance. I did fly her for over 25 mins after this. Hovering and low. No errors or problems maneuvering
Gave me a fright though.

Thanks for the reassurance. I did fly her for over 25 mins after this. Hovering and low. No errors or problems maneuvering
Gave me a fright though.
Those little motors are tougher than your fingers! Lol.

Reactions: Kilrah and sliyk
boy, it really hurts when you touch a spinning prop. the rotating drone to stop motor trick works well. And remember to tuck all non-catching fingers in when hand catching.

Reactions: sliyk
Got my finger caught up once and the thing is like a flying weed wacker.
Got some nasty cuts from it but long healed now.
Battle scars!

As an interesting piece of information. I have been flying it here in Pakistan (on vacation) and a couple of times an Eagle tried to attack it while it was airborne. I was like holy frack! And immediately descended. Lol

Hi guys
I attempted to fly the drone indoors (not a very good idea) and I found it to be drifting towards and obstacle. I caught it from the bottom and it immediately sped up to get out of my hand. I tried to emergency **** down but in the process my finger caught the right sided propellers stopping their spin (my fingers are okay).
Since then the dro e has bee. Flying fine with no problem and the propellants are good too.
I wanted to know if this sort of action could have done any permanent damage to the spinning motors?
Thanks.
I don't think this would cause damage. The propellers are intended to stop if they have a interference with an object. For example I landed in a field one time on accident and when I tried to take off it wouldn't because there was an obstruction. I feel they would stop for your finger as well.

As an interesting piece of information. I have been flying it here in Pakistan (on vacation) and a couple of times an Eagle tried to attack it while it was airborne. I was like holy frack! And immediately descended. Lol
I think the right way to avoid an attack is actually to accelerate and climb.

If you don't see any visible damage and it's still flying fine then your good.

I don't think this would cause damage. The propellers are intended to stop if they have a interference with an object. For example I landed in a field one time on accident and when I tried to take off it wouldn't because there was an obstruction. I feel they would stop for your finger as well.
There is a big difference between failing to spool up because there is an obstruction detected and stopping before an injury might be sustained. Don’t test this theory, it’s a bad one.

What @Aww@Mavic said is 100% correct

You can tilt it in any direction about 70 degrees (make sure you have a good grasp)
OR
the CSC command will shut off the motors. With obstacle avoidance on, it was belly aching as it should have.
You could have flown it to a safe place to land but with adrenaline flowing it would have been easy to over correct. Glad no one was seriously hurt, a lot of folks on here didn't get off as easy.
Here is a copy of the Mavic Pro User Manual section on CSC.

CSC MP-MPP     .jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ