DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Store with props on or off?

Does it make any difference long term?
I'm storing it with them on and with prop keepers.
Of course I check them preflight.

View attachment 63924
Keep it just like it is but install a batter. That will counteract any downward force the prop holders are doing and cancel each other out. I'm a minimalist when I store my Mavic, and I have everything I need in a nice waterproof padded bag. Some of the cases out there are ridiculously expensive and really shouldn't be. This one just cost $69. And if you think you need a hard shell they make that version also for $10 more. Check out the way the charger sits beneath where the Mavic would be in the hard shell case. Nice design. I still like the soft case better though. Not going to war or anticipate a need for a hard type case. Here is the hard type model of that same brand, very good quality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CQ2T6R3/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Attachments

• 20190303_005147.jpg
    20190303_005147.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • 20190303_005233-01.jpeg
    20190303_005233-01.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Sorry guys, but I have an off-topic question that I want to ask... it’s also about the durability of the propellers.

Rob, you said the rivets could eventually loosen or take damage:

I have already seen some videos about the Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 in which it seemed to me that some pilots start their engines with folded propellers and let them "unfold automatically“ from the torque of the engines (centrifugally).

Can this initial unbalance also cause damage to the propellers or the drone arms... or at least decrease lifetime of some parts?

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22 and Porky

View attachment 63924

You're asking the wrong question. Storing with props on is fine. The problem here is that you're inducing stress with the strap. I'm not sure why you're using the strap, but "squishing" your props will definitely warp them...especially if, god forbid, your drone is somehow exposed to warmer temps.

As long as I have owned my Mavic, I have never removed the props unless I'm replacing them. But by the same token, I have never strapped the drone to the case. There's enough foam in there to protect the drone. And believe me, I toss my case around like nobody's business. I don't throw it across a parking lot, but I do often "toss" it in the car. So far, zero damage.

D

Reactions: Pontoon-pilot

View attachment 63924
As I posted on some other post on here before, I always strongly recommend to store your aircraft without the props still on. There is some stress to the motor and props as well when you do that, and also the fact that you remove them after a flight will allow you to inspect everything more thoroughly. Not worth the risk when it only tales like 10 seconds to put them on or remove them. But again, that's my own opinion, and I know that lot of people on here disagree with it :p

View attachment 63924
That's how I always store my bird after a fly. Blue cap over motor for increased protection against dirt or sand particle. :)

Attachments

• 20190204_111431_WEB.jpg
    20190204_111431_WEB.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 54
Reactions: Porky
If you think of when the OEM Mavic Pro ships to you, in it's beautiful white box, the top props are still in the bag, but the bottom props are mounted. I always wondered why DJI did that.

My M2P / SC combo had no props installed at all, but it could be due to the different packaging to accommodate the SC.

For me personally, long term storage = props off, short term = props on. And I don't use any those bands to hold the props down - if it puts even a tiny bit of stress on anything, I don't want it.

Reactions: drakkor
Blue cap over motor for increased protection against dirt or sand particle :)
But u have it enclosed inside a case? Is there dirt or sand in these cases i dont know about?:p

So the 2nd controller is in buddy mode? Can she accidentally move you? Im looking for the best and leas expensive option to allow a second person to look at the display, too- have an iPad already to use also.
Yes, she has all the working operation of a controller, again my controller will take precedence....but if i'm not watching, yes she can crash it all on her own

Reactions: AMann
:p
But u have it enclosed inside a case? Is there dirt or sand in these cases i dont know about?
Hehehe, it's when I remote it from the case but not ready to fly yet. So the motor are already protected. :p

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FormerCyclist