DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strange drone behaviour resulting in a crash

You would think it could have some accuracy with dead reckoning. The gyros and accelerometer would register even wind movement.

Even going straight up without gps is a bad idea. Unless you are super confident in flying and dealing with all the correcting movements needed for the wind, you need GPS to stay locked in place or else the copter will just drift away. The computer needs either the GPS coordinates or expert manual input from you initiate the required movements to keep the copter staying in place. It’s always fighting some force of the wind

I guess I forget that a lot of people have experience with only DJI drones and their brilliant - yet notoriously unreliable - flight assistance features.
I would not be comfortable owning such a piece of technology not knowing what to do in such a common situation as losing GPS signal.

My point is when it comes to flying, that's not "expert manual input".
Maybe one thing if you're whizzing around obstacles, but to stay relatively in place going straight up and down... Every pilot needs to be able to do that, even in moderate wind.

Reactions: rfc
I guess I forget that a lot of people have experience with only DJI drones and their brilliant - yet notoriously unreliable - flight assistance features.
I would not be comfortable owning such a piece of technology not knowing what to do in such a common situation as losing GPS signal.

My point is when it comes to flying, that's not "expert manual input".
Maybe one thing if you're whizzing around obstacles, but to stay relatively in place going straight up and down... Every pilot needs to be able to do that, even in moderate wind.
But the point you're missing is that the DJI drones are sold with the 'station holding' GPS capability designed in, not as a 'bolt on' extra. For many of us that fly these drones, we rely on these functions because that is what DJI sells. If I wanted to be an expert ATTI pilot, I would purchase an aircraft that had this mode as it's primary function.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR