DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe light recommendations

it applies to both mavic 2 and this mavic mini - if you intend to get a max signal distance - do not put/mount anything on the front legs antenna holders - one that also works as a landing leg.
especially if you mount it for front view - you will get signal going out, but after rotation back you may get cut off.
i meant specifically this mount method - green led board covers most of the antenna patch in that section of the leg. anyone can test it, sure.

View attachment 87724
I personally have never had an issue and I've been flying with them on the front for years. I've never had complaints either from the thousands of customers that have purchased them either. When you think about it the antennas are already encased in fairly dense plastic by DJI, our mounts are printed at a 30% infill, so they aren't dense at all, and a third of the antenna is still completely unobstructed. When I fly I stay VLOS though and have never gone past 2 miles with them on. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Thomas B
i meant specifically this mount method - green led board covers most of the antenna patch in that section of the leg. anyone can test it, sure.

View attachment 87724
Understand your concern. Here’s a pic on my M2P. Same location no problems at 3-4 miles out. Also, as you see, have PP leg extensions over the antennae.
E9C7CB93-0E4A-4150-B09B-07FF4B180A1B.jpeg

I've read nothing but good reviews about the Firehouse Arc II LEDs, but I cannot understand why they don't have a more elegant design and/or enclosure. That's the ONLY reason I purchased a Lume Cube Strobe.

I've read nothing but good reviews about the Firehouse Arc II LEDs, but I cannot understand why they don't have a more elegant design and/or enclosure. That's the ONLY reason I purchased a Lume Cube Strobe.
It's because they are a lot brighter than the rest including the much more expensive PolarPro. Here is a comparison I did between them:

Reactions: Thomas B
@Aerial-Pixel, nice review. Based on your tests, the Firehouse ARC II appears to be the clear winner. Is there a Mavic Mini mount for the ARC II?

Also, although ALL of these light manufacturers claim their products are FAA-Approved anti-collision strobes, they ALL fell way short of the 3-mile visibility requirement or is that just for commercial pilots.

@Aerial-Pixel, nice review. Based on your tests, the Firehouse ARC II appears to be the clear winner. Is there a Mavic Mini mount for the ARC II?

Also, although ALL of these light manufacturers claim their products are FAA-Approved anti-collision strobes, they ALL fell way short of the 3-mile visibility requirement or is that just for commercial pilots.
We won't be offering an ARC II mount for the Mavic Mini, it's too big. I recommend the Firehouse Technology dual for that one.
In regards to three mile visibility I have never flown out that far you try it, but I would guess you would be able to see it for 3 miles at least with the Dual and the ARC II.

UK buyers can purchase the cree here

If you are only have 1 strobe I really recommend installing it on the front of the Mavic Mini since there are no front LED's you're running blind at night when flying toward you. 2nd best scenario would be 1 front and 1 back.

If you are only have 1 strobe I really recommend installing it on the front of the Mavic Mini since there are no front LED's you're running blind at night when flying toward you. 2nd best scenario would be 1 front and 1 back.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't mounted it yet, but most Mavic Mini owners are mounting it on top. Since the Mavic Mini is so light, wouldn't mounting it near its center of gravity make more sense?

Thanks for the advice. I haven't mounted it yet, but most Mavic Mini owners are mounting it on top. Since the Mavic Mini is so light, wouldn't mounting it near its center of gravity make more sense?

They are so light it hasn't mattered the configuration on my flights. The only issue with mounting it on top is it's much less visible from the ground, mounting on the arms and feet is the best compromise for being viewable from the ground and the air.

Reactions: RavenManiac
They are so light it hasn't mattered the configuration on my flights. The only issue with mounting it on top is it's much less visible from the ground, mounting on the arms and feet is the best compromise for being viewable from the ground and the air.
Yeah, I hear ya. That Mavic Mini is so small that it needs all the visibility it can get. :)

Yeah, I hear ya. That Mavic Mini is so small that it needs all the visibility it can get. :)
1576009687641.png

i actually think to get an individual led chips, open top panel of MM and put them right in to the front as this picture shows it - with fake light beams, but, it is exactly where those bright leds are asking to be.
it is not too difficult to do, and according to what i see in the brakedown video - there is a plenty of space there for an additional set of wires and also easily reachable power up solder points.

just found them on ebay - $8 for 5 pieces - "10W Cree Single-Die XM-L LED T6 White Warm White 1040Lm@3000mA led chip For DIY ". just going to need a small control board and will sit on the 3V6 power point.
1576011008427.png

Last edited:
That would be AWESOME!

If somebody can design a strobe kit like this specifically for the Mavic Mini they are going to make a lot of money. :)

If you can post some links to where I can get all of the components I might actually attempt building this.

That would be AWESOME!

If somebody can design a strobe kit like this specifically for the Mavic Mini they are going to make a lot of money. :)

If you can post some links to where I can get all of the components I might actually attempt building this.
components are not difficult to get - you only need a led itself and its driver. both exist on ebay in huge quantities - for the led flashlights, mostly. led i already posted, driver is a different topic, i picked a couple, will see which one will work best - i want to find one with a minimal weight.

dunno how many people will be inclined to do this, as it will void warranty - i intend to put it all inside of the model, that is the whole point of it.

Reactions: Danr-62
components are not difficult to get - you only need a led itself and its driver. both exist on ebay in huge quantities - for the led flashlights, mostly. led i already posted, driver is a different topic, i picked a couple, will see which one will work best - i want to find one with a minimal weight.

dunno how many people will be inclined to do this, as it will void warranty - i intend to put it all inside of the model, that is the whole point of it.

Are you getting a strobe-capable driver or just a steady light?

Are you getting a strobe-capable driver or just a steady light?
most of them have no explanations - but - like, if you look at this one - it has some brief description of how driver operates.

i do not know much about it all - well - yet. :) but, it is not too difficult to figure out, this stuff is pretty generic.

Hi,
Any recommend strobes for the MM.
Thanks

Here's where I mounted my one and only strobe I have on my MM a Firehouse Arc II
Mounted with Velcro to the lower battery door and over SD card in this configuration the strobe is angled slightly down
Very bright easy to see from all angles

Attachments

• IMG_4627.JPG
    IMG_4627.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 42
Anybody using these????? STROBON Standalone.

Compatible with latest FAA and CAA anti-collision lights rules for drones. It's visible from 3 miles away at night.

strobon-standalone.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw