DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe Up... Ready For Night Flight

Just don't put them on the front of the drone. I've flown with strobes for years, and have never had it interfere. I imagine if you're very close to something, or shooting into something reflective like a window you may have issues. But I never have.
Thank you ... on our Mavic 2 Pro I'm thinking of putting 1 white strobe on the bottom for sure, then on the back arms a red strobe pointing forwards and the other arm with the green, pointing backward.

Thank you ... on our Mavic 2 Pro I'm thinking of putting 1 white strobe on the bottom for sure, then on the back arms a red strobe pointing forwards and the other arm with the green, pointing backward.
Remember, strobes aren't for you to see the drone at night, it's for manned aircraft to see it. So you'll need to put one on top too.

I've wondered about using strobes but curious about the bright flashing coming from them and it interfering with video/photo capturing during night flights ?
I only mounted my strobe on the top front of the drone (DJI Mini 2), a bit back from above the gimbal. I doubt it will have any effect on filming, unless there is a bit of fog.

DJI_0070.JPG

DJI_0069 (2).JPG

These photos were taken with the DJI Osmo Pocket. I'm getting the hang of taking photos with it, and then finding them on the SD card.

Last edited:
Reactions: MavicFlyer2
Remember, strobes aren't for you to see the drone at night, it's for manned aircraft to see it. So you'll need to put one on top too.

It's really a dual purpose solution, yes the offical reason for strobes it for other manned aircraft to see you. Which you'll need to mount to the top.

From my reading on here and Facebook groups it seems the general reason people are putting them on (me included) is to have something that stands out in the sky either during the day and at night.

For those flying at night, 100% these are required by law.

Reactions: MavicFlyer2
Kind of decent having the Arc V on the skid instead of the drone itself. I'm still trying to figure out how to get mine onto drone after I put on the Phantom Rain Skin, don't want to risk tearing the skin (like I already tore on the battery cover when I took the battery out).

Just don't put them on the front of the drone. I've flown with strobes for years, and have never had it interfere. I imagine if you're very close to something, or shooting into something reflective like a window you may have issues. But I never have.
This is why I opted for rear leg mounts.

I finally ordered myself a Vifly strobe after using Firehouse for several years. I have to say it is pretty good and you get red and green included with every strobe. A Lume Cube on top and the Vifly on the back of the Air 2s and Mavic 2 Pro. With the Mini 2 it’s the Vifly on top. Plan on ordering more Vifly strobes.

Kind of decent having the Arc V on the skid instead of the drone itself. I'm still trying to figure out how to get mine onto drone after I put on the Phantom Rain Skin, don't want to risk tearing the skin (like I already tore on the battery cover when I took the battery out).
That reminds me, I was looking at skins (for the DJI Mini 2) a while ago, and the maker sent me a template...

DJI_0072.JPG
...to design my own. But now I have my strobe, and my FAA registration sticker on the back. So I'll have to measure accurately for the two additions, and note those on the template.

Last edited:
Thank you, I've never flown at night and just getting more information on the rights and wrongs. I appreciate your input and thank you again.

Reactions: Vic Moss
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom