DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strong aircraft inderference

I started to lose signal communication after i flew past high power wires, even when its at 400' - well above that line... i cant go an further past about 500' past that.

Its one i suspect that affect communication. Trees is other.

Theres few flight i cant fly past 1 mile but couldnt figure out what causing it lose connection...

Glad I'm not alone on this one.

I extended my default range. Gonna try again same direction in case it was an indication I’d reached the default limit.

I have also a similar issue before when I just have started flying my drone, somewhere around 500m~800m I'm already getting signal interference even on open areas (less signal interruption). so I was wondering if my drone has a defect.

Have you heard about FCC and CE connection modes?

If you're not from the US, your connection mode is CE by default which limits your flying distance for some reason, then there's this second one called FCC which is strongest connection you can make.

There's this trick that you can switch your mode to FCC which boosts the signal of your drone/controller.

If you're using Android then this will be easy, here's a video on how you do it

For iOS, you still need an Android for a bit just to switch the connection from CE to FCC and then when you're going to use it with iOS you should be able to prevent it from reverting back to CE. here's a sample video

But if you don't have Android and you have a Mac, then you can try doing this (never have tried this before)

You can really see a HUGE the difference with CE and FCC based from my flying experience ?

Turned off Bluetooth and WiFi and headed out. Got out further, but then lost connection. I hope it just hovers when it loses connection. Jumped up a pointed directly at the drone (flat side out) and saw the video spin wildly like it was catching up, then lost signal again. Hit return to home, and it did. Frightful.

This happened to me too battled to get 200m out of my MA. I then did the FCC hack no more problems no I get a decent 2.8 km range although i only did it once for a test on average i fly LOS approximately 500 m

I started to lose signal communication after i flew past high power wires, even when its at 400' - well above that line... i cant go an further past about 500' past that.

Its one i suspect that affect communication. Trees is other.

Theres few flight i cant fly past 1 mile but couldnt figure out what causing it lose connection...
Power lines WILL interfer with your reception/transmission. If possible try to avoid flying near power lines, or expect your connectivity to deteroiate.

I have had a similar problem, but, not sure what to do. I have a small "mountain" in front of my cabin with a creek at the base of the mountain. Mountain is very steep, as in, down on all fours hanging on to trees to climb it. If I'm at the base of the mountain and go straight up, about 75-100 feet up, aircraft disconnects and/or strong interference. I then move about 150 feet away from the mountain, about 50 feet from power lines and I can go straight up 300 feet with no problems. It's like somehow the mountain is absorbing the signal or something.

Another thing is how DJI displays busy channels. I have generated noise in the 2.4g band, and it didn't register. It is almost like it must be actual data signal for it to register. I couldn't find in the product documentation if my observation is true, that it only checks for a real data signal from a wifi device or if it looks for RF signal whether analog or data on those frequencies.

Even when im 300' or so above the lines
Yes! Electrical interference from powerlines can affect your wifi signal, almost as a block if there is a powerline between the controller and the drone. I find some affect me more than others and I would suggest those that do are High Voltage lines (the type that are on tall metal towers (or pylons).
Bear in mind the wires also present a risk to your drone and often cannot be seen through the FPV camera until you are really close.
Most pylons stand a maximum of 50m (150ft) high (AGL).
The legal ceiling in most, but not all, countries for drone flight is 120m (400ft). So it is unlikely you were 300ft ABOVE the power lines.

Fly safe!

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I would think if a power line is the problem then the only solution would be to move BOTH the controller and the drone a certain distance away?

I would think if a power line is the problem then the only solution would be to move BOTH the controller and the drone a certain distance away?
In an ideal world (which we don't live in) try to avoid them. If you can't, try to have drone and controller on the same side of the power lines and as legally high as you can (to avoid collision) if flying close or at the very least 50m (164ft) high.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan