DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strong Wind Warning in 10kts bay wind

PascalG

Reactions
I ve been getting a number of Strong Wind Warnings when flying my MM2 even in light winds (under 10 kts). It seem to happen mostly in Sports Mode.

odd behavior especially as DJI touts the MM2 ability to handle winds. Drone was flying at 30mph when the warning shown here popped up, pretty much the same speed as on the outbound leg as the wind was coming from the south

common issue ?
44420296-DA1E-4018-A60D-7D5E50210B14.jpg

Drone was flying at 30mph
The closer the drone is to top speed, the less it will have in reserve to overcome opposing force. Maybe this causes it to throw the warning.
I have only lived on the coast for a few years. When I did live there, I noticed wind, and wind gusts are greater than most inland places I have lived. Where do you get the 10 knots from? If it is a ground based sensor, keep in mind that the wind speed and gusts at ground level are likely to be lower than the wind speed and gusting at altitude. I would assume air density also varies wildly over the ocean, resulting in faster RPM for a given speed or altitude.
These are only speculation.
Have you tried the app UAV Forecast? Maybe it will provide some insight.

We have wind wave on the boat, pretty accurate... and with 30 years on the water I can tell wind speed fairly accurately. :)

We have wind wave on the boat, pretty accurate... and with 30 years on the water I can tell wind speed fairly accurately. :)
DJI's "strong wind" notification is supposed to come in with a wind speed of 7 metres/sec (13.6 knots), but it calculates that from the tilt angle needed to counteract the force of the wind so it's often not accurate..

How do u know the wind was 10 kts? You can verify in the logs. Wind forecasts, even airport aviation METARS don’t tell u the wind speed where yr drone is. Aviation METAR data is recorded at 10’ at applies at the airport location but at 200’ it can be substantially higher. And on the coast with local the local conditions it is likely very much different. Transport Canada did a video on this.

Reactions: DJayI
How do u know the wind was 10 kts? You can verify in the logs. Wind forecasts, even airport aviation METARS don’t tell u the wind speed where yr drone is. Aviation METAR data is recorded at 10’ at applies at the airport location but at 200’ it can be substantially higher. And on the coast with local the local conditions it is likely very much different. Transport Canada did a video on this.

As I said earlier we have a calibrated wind sensor on the boat, about 25’ high. Also 30 years of sailing, boating and flying airplanes have taught me how to read conditions and estimate wind speed pretty accurately.

bottomline I never got this warning before with Mavic Pro, Spark or Anafi.

Is it possibly an inherent thing due to the lighter weight? I would imagine it reacts a little more to gusts and such. Even if it won't fall out of the sky, and the gimble can handle the movement, it might simply get tossed around a little more and warn accordingly?

Looks like you flew over some scenic waters! And flew from the boat! Something beefier like your Mavic Pro might be better performer over the ocean.
also the MM2 might be reacting to turbulence more so than straight wind, only a hunch.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan