DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Structural integrity while landing

A word of caution on hand catching. If you are doing it, it should be from the side and you should be catching the front leg. If you try to catch from the back you are grabbing the VPS. If you are trying to grab from the front you in engaging the VSS. Can you take off from tall grass, no it will interfere with the gimbal. I agree that the best solution is some kind of take off pad.

A word of caution on hand catching. If you are doing it, it should be from the side and you should be catching the front leg. If you try to catch from the back you are grabbing the VPS. If you are trying to grab from the front you in engaging the VSS. Can you take off from tall grass, no it will interfere with the gimbal. I agree that the best solution is some kind of take off pad.
There's several videos of hand catching the body. Shouldnt be a problem if you're quick about it.

But you are catching a leg not the belly of the craft. Look at the angle of the VPS and you will understand what I am discussing. I don't care if you hand catch or not. I just don't want people that get prop bite to say it was DJI's fault.

But you are catching a leg not the belly of the craft. Look at the angle of the VPS and you will understand what I am discussing. I don't care if you hand catch or not. I just don't want people that get prop bite to say it was DJI's fault.
Do you think there will be a situation where the Mavic will descend when sensing your hand?

What makes the Glow Reflector stay in place.... IE: won't the props when take off / landing make the light weight reflector move??

If not.... why not just use a auto sunscreen that you use for your car windshield?

I actually have one already

What makes the Glow Reflector stay in place.... IE: won't the props when take off / landing make the light weight reflector move??

If not.... why not just use a auto sunscreen that you use for your car windshield?

Yup I'm thinking these are too light. I envision something like this happening.

Just got this one, certainly not the cheapest option but it's the same size as the reflector above, already patterned and comes with stakes...pretty nice.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0R3ZY2

They have a smaller 16" one that folds to 6" but it's probably too small (and no stakes).

Yeah that seems a bit pricey. I think this with a couple of tent pegs to hold it down should be a good enough and cheap option
Photography Photo Reflector 80cm(32") 5in1 Light Collapsible Portable Reflector

What about something a bit simpler like a Beach Towel?

Never mind, I guess unless you stake it down, it may blow up like the canvas or carpet with the helicopter above.

Last edited:

I've actually tried to cause the reflector to flip by hovering off to the side of it, but it did not flip. But I'm sure if I were to "full-throttle" up it would probably flip.

I don't see a problem because when you're launching, you're directly in the middle of the reflector...and when you're landing, you SHOULD be directly over it, hence, pushing downward onto it. I've done this many times with my P3P.

If you're really concerned, you could always use those small hook stakes that come with canopies and drive them into the ground and hook the reflector in two or three places.

Doesnt really matter once the bird is off the ground. Besides, the rotor-wash is coming straight down, as it takes off vertically to about 4' (height guess). To flip it, the wash would have to get under one side at enough of an angle, so even then, I dont think there would be too much of a chance for that to happen.

I've actually tried to cause the reflector to flip by hovering off to the side of it, but it did not flip. But I'm sure if I were to "full-throttle" up it would probably flip.

I don't see a problem because when you're launching, you're directly in the middle of the reflector...and when you're landing, you SHOULD be directly over it, hence, pushing downward onto it. I've done this many times with my P3P.

If you're really concerned, you could always use those small hook stakes that come with canopies and drive them into the ground and hook the reflector in two or three places.
Better with stakes so wind doesn't move it while flying, throwing off the precision landing.

I have been wondering about this also. Perhaps something doesn't need to be added to the bottom but would consider hacking up something if it needs it. I like the idea of a landing pad (for take-off) but not something that collapses so large. I think if it was smaller, I would be more likely to have it with me/carry it and therefore use it. The footprint of the Mavic is about 13 inches I think so I might take my chances with a smaller (22 inch?) one.

22 inch reflector $4.99 [Shipped with Prime] - https://amzn.com/B001GBXBJE
32 inch reflector $9.50 [Shipped with Prime] - https://amzn.com/B005QR58CC

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa