DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stuck SD Card

Phoenix Drone

Reactions
A while back, my microSD card was hard to remove after it was halfway out, there is not enough room to grab it. So I lightly sanded it.

You may not want to do that. Sanding the sides slightly can cause the card to be pushed in slightly angled.

Now it can easily get stuck all the way inside the drone, you push it in to release, the spring compresses, it but it does not disengage. The tolerances are very tight. Instead, put a pair or tweezers in your bag and use that to remove it the rest of the way when it's halfway out. Avoid sanding. If you already did it and are having trouble removing your card, pull on it slightly and it should release.

Reactions: TR Ganey
The SD card slots are another of DJIs shortcomings with their drones. I really wish they would use full size SD cards, but we all know that would be impossible. I have big hands and fingers, and most times cant grab that tiny little SD card successfully. Yes, tweezers is a good solution as long as you dont go past the outside of the SD card slot.

On the Mavic series, the SD card slot is fragile. One person can be lucky and never have an issue, when another can accidentally put the card in slanted and break the spring mechanism inside it.

On the Air, the SD card is hard to grab, requires an index fingernail to remove, and then sometimes comes ejecting out right on to the floor. On the Phantom 3, the spring inside would often break, and then your card would be stuck in there forever unless you wanted to buy a new PCB for $100+ dollars..

This is really funny, bordering on ridiculous, that we owners have to use our own methods to take the stinking little card out of the drone! I was just thinking that the M2 and Air have internal memory, but then you need to connect to the computer.

My problem with popping the card out, is it does exactly that. Pops out and usually on to the floor, always in the worst possible place. And of course my dog, the vacuum cleaner, just loves to chew on them. My dog gives me a grace period of around 30 seconds to pick up the card from the floor before he claims it.

Last edited:
My dog gives me a grace period

Rob: Two of my three don't even give me THAT much time. <laughing> But I hear ya on the dang card. It wouldn't surprise me if you (and others) do the same thing as I, hold the bird over a desk or countertop and kinda "brush" the card out with your finger. Tweezers work well BUT, there isn't any more room in my bag. <really laughing>

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
Already mentioned, but I too use some tape (I used labeling tape). I definitely makes it easier to grab out. I’ve been doing this since the Phantom line.

fa65c289e4598d5e1220febb05f13cf5.jpg

The tape makes a tab that folds down or up for that matter and the door slides in place.. Thats exactly what I mentioned and Michigan Mavic was kind enough to post pictures of the method. I too started this in my Phantom days...

The tape makes a tab that folds down or up for that matter and the door slides in place.. Thats exactly what I mentioned and Michigan Mavic was kind enough to post pictures of the method. I too started this in my Phantom days...
Thanks for that @BDOG - I can start chewing my finger-nails again (as that was what I was using).

Grrr! Too small, tricky to pop out, falls on the floor. All made worse by my less than steady ancient hands.

Not sure of other brand cameras, but my Sony came with a plastic tool that helps push the card in/out. Maybe keep a small file to help out in your flight kit? Paper clip will do.

133fff68ed64e15c6105befa642b284a.jpg

Thanks for the idea. I think I might find something made from plastic. I am worried that I might accidentally stick the paper clip inside the slot and cause some damage. Remember, less than stable ancient hands. (Ha Ha with a grimace)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashtar