DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Study for Drone Pilot Cert

Johndronebusiness

Reactions
Hello Ladies ad Gentleman,

My recent thread I was talking about starting a aerial photography business and I’ve been studying, watched and still watch Tony’s video on youtube and did 3dr sample tests,
Anyone took the test recently? What was it like? Do you have any tips on how to study to ace this test?

Thank you for your advices already !

I found this book very useful from Amazon and it comes with the "ASA Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement - Sport Pilot, Recreational Pilot, and Private Pilot" which is what is given to you at the test site. It's great to get yourself familar with the supplement before the test so you aren't wasting time looking for a particular airport, etc. in the questions. I used the book and like you watched Tony's video and did the 3dr sample tests. I passed with a 93. Good Luck to you and I didn't find the test too tough. The thing to do is know the material, don't just memorize answers.
Untitled.jpeg

I found this book very useful from Amazon and it comes with the "ASA Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement - Sport Pilot, Recreational Pilot, and Private Pilot" which is what is given to you at the test site. It's great to get yourself familar with the supplement before the test so you aren't wasting time looking for a particular airport, etc. in the questions. I used the book and like you watched Tony's video and did the 3dr sample tests. I passed with a 93. Good Luck to you and I didn't find the test too tough. The thing to do is know the material, don't just memorize answers.
View attachment 77295
I was gonna buy a book or app but people say don’t waste your money since it’s the same as Tony’s video and 3dr practice test
I just wanna know what to study and know for sure that it’ll be on test
Thanks for your advice my man

Reactions: Radpuppy
I recently passed with just Tony's video, the book above and about 4 hours of study time. You can too. Much of it is reading charts.
That’s awesome! Congrats!
When you say reading charts, can you give some examples? And how much of it was charts out of 60 questions

Hello Ladies ad Gentleman,

My recent thread I was talking about starting a aerial photography business and I’ve been studying, watched and still watch Tony’s video on youtube and did 3dr sample tests,
Anyone took the test recently? What was it like? Do you have any tips on how to study to ace this test?

Thank you for your advices already !
Took part 107 6/18/19 passed 90% if I had of went with my first answer without change I woul have made 93 lol
I watched many free tutorials including Tony’s
I actually got a section chart and legend from a pilot friend of mine to study.
Look at Dronetribe on Facebook
I purchased Dustin’s online course for $99 and it is a great study guide.
He actually reads the content as you read along and there is like 6-7 practice test.
That being said FAA does have some tricky questions and 2 of the 3 could be correct but they want the most correct lol.
Good luck to ya

Took part 107 6/18/19 passed 90% if I had of went with my first answer without change I woul have made 93 lol
He actually reads the content as you read along and there is like 6-7 practice test.
That being said FAA does have some tricky questions and 2 of the 3 could be correct but they want the most correct lol.
Good luck to ya

I think that last statement needs some modification.... They don't give questions with multiple "Correct" answers but their answer bank does include some "commonly wrong" answers. So just because you see an answer in the selection that matches what you're expecting doesn't mean it's the Correct answer.

For example (this is greatly simplified):

25+26 =

But 25% of people commonly misread the equation and answer 50. So the answer bank could read:

A) 48
B) 50
C) 60
D) 51

Only one answer is the "correct" answer but the others a probably a high percentage of the wrong answers. This is designed to make you think and re-think what you're doing instead of popping through looking for "familiar" answers.

I've watched Tony's video and while it is good I feel he doesn't go into enough depth on many subjects. That said no one could cover all the material in an 1 hour, 43 minute video. If you want to watch his video and supplement with read some of the material referenced by others that's a fine way to prepare.

That said, if I was preparing for this examine (I have a private pilots license with instrument rating so I already new most of what was on the examine) I would get one of the recommended online video courses. There are a couple of good ones that have been recommended and the advantage of having the complete course in one package is two years from now you'll have a great way to review. A lot of the stuff you'll need to pass the test you will rarely use in your day to day flying so review for the recurrent exam will be necessary. There are some course that include a separate section on the recurrent exam. If you check the breakdown of time durations for each section (some of the course will show you the breakdown of subjects and time allot in the course) it's about 5 hours.

Anyway, that's make take on the subject of preparing for the examine for someone with no prior aviation experience.

Good luck to ya
Congrats.
I was going to purchase a study guide too but a lot of people say they passed just by watching Tony’s video and some free practice tests online such as 3DR

Hey feel free to give me your study guide haha ? I’m not in a position to spend some extra $$$ currently.

Do you remember any questions from the test or tricky ones what I should really know other than common sense questions like what’s the min weight for a drone to get registered ®

Tony’s video is a great start and it covers a lot, but I definitely recommend an app or something that really gets into more detail to really understand. I used the Dauntless Aviation Ground School app along with Tony and other YouTube resources. Scored an 88 and would have at least two more questions right if I didn’t overthink them.

FAA structures questions to make you need to know the material, not just memorize. Slight changes in wording or units of measurement make a difference. Read them carefully.

Find an app that explains WHY an answer is right or wrong as you go through the questions.

Also, ordering a sectional chart (Amazon) for your area is good practice for reading places you are familiar with and for reference.

Good luck!

I think that last statement needs some modification.... They don't give questions with multiple "Correct" answers but their answer bank does include some "commonly wrong" answers. So just because you see an answer in the selection that matches what you're expecting doesn't mean it's the Correct answer.

For example (this is greatly simplified):

25+26 =

But 25% of people commonly misread the equation and answer 50. So the answer bank could read:

A) 48
B) 50
C) 60
D) 51

Only one answer is the "correct" answer but the others a probably a high percentage of the wrong answers. This is designed to make you think and re-think what you're doing instead of popping through looking for "familiar" answers.

I thin I I know what he meant,
He probably meant to say that when you read the answer it kind of makes sense but it’s actually not the answer.

I've watched Tony's video and while it is good I feel he doesn't go into enough depth on many subjects. That said no one could cover all the material in an 1 hour, 43 minute video. If you want to watch his video and supplement with read some of the material referenced by others that's a fine way to prepare.

That said, if I was preparing for this examine (I have a private pilots license with instrument rating so I already new most of what was on the examine) I would get one of the recommended online video courses. There are a couple of good ones that have been recommended and the advantage of having the complete course in one package is two years from now you'll have a great way to review. A lot of the stuff you'll need to pass the test you will rarely use in your day to day flying so review for the recurrent exam will be necessary. There are some course that include a separate section on the recurrent exam. If you check the breakdown of time durations for each section (some of the course will show you the breakdown of subjects and time allot in the course) it's about 5 hours.

Anyway, that's make take on the subject of preparing for the examine for someone with no prior aviation experience.

What are the subjects he’s not covering? So I can make sure to study those if they are going to be on the test

I was gonna buy a book or app but people say don’t waste your money since it’s the same as Tony’s video and 3dr practice test
I just wanna know what to study and know for sure that it’ll be on test
Thanks for your advice my man
The only problem with a book is it gets outdated if things change so your re-cert two years later will be more complicated.
My recommendation is to look for an online course that offers a subscription for life and has material for the renewal so you'll be up to date and they will have the most current changes to the law. I used RemotePilot101 and got high scores for both the initial and renewal. The moderator is kind of goofy but it gets the job done quickly. For the renewal I also used Prepware Remote Pilot on my iPad which was fantastic.

View attachment 77295
I also used this resource. It was great having studied with the very same booklet that many test questions come from. Especially the questions regarding locating airports and other chart features. Felt almost like cheating, felt good!

Tony’s video is a great start and it covers a lot, but I definitely recommend an app or something that really gets into more detail to really understand. I used the Dauntless Aviation Ground School app along with Tony and other YouTube resources. Scored an 88 and would have at least two more questions right if I didn’t overthink them.

FAA structures questions to make you need to know the material, not just memorize. Slight changes in wording or units of measurement make a difference. Read them carefully.

Find an app that explains WHY an answer is right or wrong as you go through the questions.

Also, ordering a sectional chart (Amazon) for your area is good practice for reading places you are familiar with and for reference.

Good luck!
I heartily agree with getting the sectional chart that covers your residential area. Things make more sense on the chart when you know where they are on the ground.

What are the subjects he’s not covering? So I can make sure to study those if they are going to be on the test

It's been a while since I've watch the video but in my recollection it wasn't that he didn't cover a particular subjected but didn't cover it thoroughly enough. I think he touched on most of the subjects but left a lot of gaps in explaining the subjects. Again, no one could cover the material in a comprehensive way in 1 hours and 43 minutes so I don't say this to slight Tony. But if you're to watch the video and have to spend 4 or more hours reading material MY PREFERENCE would be getting a complete on line course that's 5 ~ 6 hours long to insure I'm not missing any of the important material that will be on the test. Having graphics and other visuals is also helpful.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78