DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Stunning Sunset Desert Hike to awesome cliff edge vistas with dramatic drone sequence. . .

Karlewski

Reactions
This was one of my favorite adventures for this trip, super mellow, easy, relaxing and beautiful. . . I wish my wife had been with me.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Another amazing journey. As usual I couldn’t look away. Mesmerising. Taking us mere mortals into places we rightly or wrongly never will experience otherwise. Cheers ? ?????

This was one of my favorite adventures for this trip, super mellow, easy, relaxing and beautiful. . . I wish my wife had been with me.
Karlewski:

All I can say is Wow! Wow! Wow! I sat in rapture for the entire film. You continue to exceed yourself in these amazing adventures. The climb looked anything but easy to me. Your photography was nothing short of spectacular. The long sequence of drone flying in the middle displayed your amazing flying talent, and of course, the editing and tense music track set the scene beautifully. Watching these adventures are a real treat for me, and I would imagine, most all of us armchair adventurers. Fortunate to have your contributions to this forum.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: W2EJ and hiflyer201
Thank you so much brothers. I could not have put it better myself. I feel so lucky to be able to have everyone share these adventures right along with me. I started this video hobby knowing some day these videos would allow me to revisit these amazing places long after my time to climb them is over. Some how this little trip was a bit more special than usual. . . Zero stress I guess and sunset, I won’t do sunset on tough technical climbs. . .

Thank you so much brothers. I could not have put it better myself. I feel so lucky to be able to have everyone share these adventures right along with me. I started this video hobby knowing some day these videos would allow me to revisit these amazing places long after my time to climb them is over. Some how this little trip was a bit more special than usual. . . Zero stress I guess and sunset, I won’t do sunset on tough technical climbs. . .
I have a great suggestion for your next sunset! Minimal weight involved and I use it all the time
Manfrotto mini tripod
Either the Osmo Action camera, or iPhone on a Manfrotto mini tripod,, or Osmo Mobile with iPhone all have a timelapse function. Here is a photo I set up for you. There are numerous ways to capture a timelapse, hyperlapse, or motion lapse using the iPhone (11 Pro max), Osmo Action, Osmo Pocket, or Osmo Mobile, and a mini tripod. Manfrotto is good from Amazon.

The combination iPhone holder, and Osmo Pocket is the Ulanzy. Many other options for iPhone bracket/tripod attachments.

Dale
Miami
Timelapse:hyperlapse setr up with OsmoActionOsmo Pocket,iPhone or .jpg

Last edited:
Great minds think alike Dale! I have been dreaming of doing exactly what you're saying. I can't use the phone since it will be busy being used for the drone flight but, that is one of the reasons I bought the Pocket 2, to do as you recommend and shoot that motion lapse while I'm flying the drone and having a snack. . . .. The motion lapse feature will be super cool too and to do it with RAW photos will be great. I just need to build in the habit. I did have the Pocket 2 with me, first big trip out with it. I was somewhat rushing to get the drone in the sky and a bit mesmerized by the setting sun and I forgot all about it. I should have remembered to start a motion lapse, DANG IT!
My original plan was to replace my "Pano summit shot" with a much cooler and smoother motion lapse, 20 minutes to get 180 of the best look off any summit with a 3 sec interval then also do an original summit pano chat with the Phone as a back up or to add the phone audio to the time lapse so I can have that "candid summit chat" to go with the epic summit motion lapse. I'm on it man and wish it had come to mind at that moment. . . Instead of a tripod I just have a selfie stick on the Pocket 2 and stick it in a bush or lean it on a boulder. . . That is another reason I am so excited about the Pocket, always level easy to lengthen the selfie stick and I can further compose my shots from the phone while I'm in frame! So much potential, unfortunately, for this trip I had stupidly set on single focus and . . . yea, not good. New habits must be learned if I want to take it to the next level. . . . I got the creators combo with the Wifi and wireless mic too!

In your opening shot, can you tell us what frame rate you used and how much you sped up the footage. It was buttery smooth and I would like to be able to do that in post some day, but never seem to get it so smooth.

As dDale said ... wow, wow, and wow. I continued to watch until the end, and I just subscribed on YouTube. It was fantastic! Erie self shadow at 2:55.

I am curious. Did you do this alone? Some of the selfies seemed to be longer than a normal stick, so is someone taking the shot of you as you approach or have you set up and walked into the frame. If alone, very well done, but please be safe!! Looking forward to joining you on more hikes!

OK. I'm back. Clearly you did this alone. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!! Whew.

Great minds think alike Dale! I have been dreaming of doing exactly what you're saying. I can't use the phone since it will be busy being used for the drone flight but, that is one of the reasons I bought the Pocket 2, to do as you recommend and shoot that motion lapse while I'm flying the drone and having a snack. . . .. The motion lapse feature will be super cool too and to do it with RAW photos will be great. I just need to build in the habit. I did have the Pocket 2 with me, first big trip out with it. I was somewhat rushing to get the drone in the sky and a bit mesmerized by the setting sun and I forgot all about it. I should have remembered to start a motion lapse, DANG IT!
My original plan was to replace my "Pano summit shot" with a much cooler and smoother motion lapse, 20 minutes to get 180 of the best look off any summit with a 3 sec interval then also do an original summit pano chat with the Phone as a back up or to add the phone audio to the time lapse so I can have that "candid summit chat" to go with the epic summit motion lapse. I'm on it man and wish it had come to mind at that moment. . . Instead of a tripod I just have a selfie stick on the Pocket 2 and stick it in a bush or lean it on a boulder. . . That is another reason I am so excited about the Pocket, always level easy to lengthen the selfie stick and I can further compose my shots from the phone while I'm in frame! So much potential, unfortunately, for this trip I had stupidly set on single focus and . . . yea, not good. New habits must be learned if I want to take it to the next level. . . . I got the creators combo with the Wifi and wireless mic too!
The Motion lapse takes a lot of concentration! It also requires a fairly sturdy tripod, and that is why I like the Manfrotto mini. Not sure the Pocket can be balanced adequately on a rock. The slightest wind-its finished. Of the three medium, I find using the Ulanzi or PGYTech to hold the Pocket, attached to the iPhone the best option. It is almost impossible to compose and run the program using the tiny Pocket screen. If you have really good eyes and not a bright sun, you could, I guess, set it up without the phone and just compose on the Pocket 2, being held by the bracket and the tripod. I was not able to find the Ulanzi but a similar product might do the trick like the PGY Tech from Amazon. I tried to copy/paste from the Amazon site. ignore the big RODE microphone. Pi future attached- just add the mini tripod.
$24.90

About this item​

• OSMO POCKET 2/ OSMO POCKET mobile bracket set can effectively fix the OSMO Pocket with a mobile phone to avoid damaging the data plug
  • It allows to expand the capabilities with a camera light, a microphone, a tripod, and other equipment through the cold shoe interface and 1/4 screw hole expanding OSMO Pocket usage scenarios. Be a pro.
  • Adapt to most mobile phones; Effectively fix SOMO POCKET& OSMO POSKET 2; With cold shoe interface and 1/4 screw hole;
  • PGYTECH OSMO Pocket Phone Holder Set Expansion Accessories Compatible with DJI OSMO PocketPocket 2 Accessories. about $25USD. Attach this to the mini-tripod and don't even worry about it. You can get great timelapses, motion lapses, panoramas with this set up

• DaleScreen Shot 2021-04-18 at 6.13.37 PM.png

Last edited:
As dDale said ... wow, wow, and wow. I continued to watch until the end, and I just subscribed on YouTube. It was fantastic! Erie self shadow at 2:55.

I am curious. Did you do this alone? Some of the selfies seemed to be longer than a normal stick, so is someone taking the shot of you as you approach or have you set up and walked into the frame. If alone, very well done, but please be safe!! Looking forward to joining you on more hikes!
I asked this same question last time around. the key is the Insta 360 One R camera on the invisible selfie stick. Check it out on You Tube or their web site. It is almost $500 so I am not running out to get one just yet.

Dale

Dale I think I screw up the semantics. . . I am truly talking about a time lapse where the gimbal moves slowly mounted on a tripod or mono pod (treking pole) stuffed in a bush or wedged between some boulders in my case. . . to capture a summit panning time lapse. For sure the worst thing about the pocket is that little screen, with some sun, OMG. I made this selfie stick with phone holder to help with that while the phone is connected via wif so I could do the walking "motion lapse" I've got a mean ninja walk but seem to run short on patients. . . I guess I need to play with the Panning time lapse and see if it'll handle summit winds. . . they are often blowing. I do have a couple little tripods as well, The creators kit came with a cool yet heavy small metal one. I'm pretty sure I can get away with the mono pod alone and I also have a small metal trip integrated with the selfie stick I could grab from my go pro selfie stick set up, the go pro set up alone can do it all but I'm not involve with the being horizon, I often sense correct that out in post as well. . . I like the tripods where the legs are almost flat to the ground so I can put a rock on the legs and a ball head under the camera. Some time I'll do the SUER GEEK video on how I organize my gear. I literally lay awake at night thinking about how I could grab any piece of camera equipment without taking off my pack, the pack that has pockets more like a fly fishing vest. I'll do the video, it will be hilarious, like the one man band with instrument strapped on everywhere. I'm picky since I need to be able to climb well too. Alway up for chatting gear Dale, and always want to learn, thanks for your help and interest. I did do a motion lapse with the GoPro during this trip I'll be posting at some point but, man it is hard for me to move carefully for too long, I just want to blast down the trail, they cam out sort of crappy so far seeing me zip up and down grand wash in Capital Reef, that'll be my last post. Climbing Ferns Nipple there. I did the video last year but the hike is just so cool I had to go back, I'm calling it the coolest hike in UT! Allen's post above is a very cool question for me I am excited to answer!!!

In your opening shot, can you tell us what frame rate you used and how much you sped up the footage. It was buttery smooth and I would like to be able to do that in post some day, but never seem to get it so smooth.
I did a stupid thing on a recent trip to RED Rock Canyon NV it ended up being an AWESOME tool for me. I shot a slo mo jumping over some little chasm and when I went to set my GOPRO9 back to my standard 30FPS the CRAPPY touch screen ended up on 24FPS. I shot the rest of my trip with my go pro set at 24 and the other cameras were still at 30 (drone, I phone) I freaked out when I got home and realized why my GoPro footage looked like jerky garbage for the last day and 1/2 of my trip!!!
I thought the situation over very carefully and this is what I did. I had to set my video editor project frame rate down from my normal 30 to 24 FPS so that it would work with the GoPro and you'd think the would trash all the rest but, IT MADE THE DRONE AND I PHONE EVEN BETTER, yes, I'm way to excited. . . but check this out.
Since I never do vlogging/talking head shots with anything but the go pro I did not need to worry about syncing up audio and video perfectly with the drone or phone since my lips were not in in those shots from those cameras anyway. Sooo, with those cameras I always did the play back at 80% speed effectively mating up the 30FPS out of the camera with the editor's 24 FPS setting and I ended up with slightly slower and definitely smoother dreamier footage, DUMB LUCK, LOL. The part you've likely been waiting for. Playing some of the drone footage at 160% when you want that "faster look" works too AND keeps things somewhat smoother since you only ramp up 160% instead of 200%, smaller jump. You would have to do 200% if you shot in the same frame rate as your video editor's project frame rate if you wanted a compatible frame rate/smooth footage. . . unless you use a retime frame edit function, more on that soon.
More things to consider, any speed ramping I know of will introduce some jerky/missing frames. I try not to have very long curves in my speed ramps, you can do it for smoother acceleration/deccelerations at the cost of longer jerkiness periods. If you're really patient or have a nuclear processor in your computer you can also employ "retime frame" an intensive process where the computer is literally rebuilding frames that are missing when the frame timing gets out of synch but it takes some FAT CPU love. The best use and explanation of how that works. You can literally get 50% slo mo out of videos shot at a normal FPS and the retime frame function will literally extrapolate and build every other frame to fill in all your time line slots and smooth it all out. . . .WOW I use all these functions in Da Vinci Resolve 17, they do have a free version that is AWESOME, I only recently made the $300 upgrade to "studio." Not the easiest editor to learn but, VERY POWERFUL.
Now the drone part, aside from the speed ramping, acceleration of footage over time, that I did in that shot. I used the 160% speed or maybe it was 250%, can't remember exactly but, here's the deal. As you back out the sky portion of the frame will grow and that sucks, poor composition so you want to lower the gimbal with the back out, don't do that! I run VERY slow gimbal rates, barely moves with big input and it still moves it too much if you're speeding up the footage. So, after screwing that up a few times I figured out my next move. It looks much smoother if you gently loose altitude VS gimbal down, especially with speeded up footage but, you BETTER have planned the shot since you are basically diving blind backwards. In that shot the foreground did startle me as it entered the frame, I knew it was there but was still surprised how close/low I was. This brings me to my last point to get smooth footage with ANY CAMERA, the less panning or yaw in the drone sense, the better. Always abrupt and blurs resolution too, not fun to watch unless very slow or a quick "whip Pan" to get it over with fast. You definitely will use it but, more slider, side motion, is better, basically more right stick less left stick yaw. On orbits I try to alway offset my target to a chosen side then FIRST slide it to center THEN smoothly initiate the yaw and obviously try to match the yaw and slide to lock the subject in the center. The last obvious point, low rates on everything you can turn down, Yaw, gimbal to get the "tripod setting on all speeds, Normal and Fast or whatever thay call it, lol, sport. . . Then make a plan, even if during flight and commit, meaning, lock on course. . . and hold. . . wait for it. . . don't wank it 1/2 way and have that crappy jerky stuff in your video. Talk is cheap, we are all a work in progress, I WANK PLENY, lol and cut it out during editing best as I can.
Oh YEA Definitely play around the video stabilizer in your video editor too, it helps some. . . I recently tried to find additional software for this, no luck. . . DJI will likely eventually put their ROCK SOLID software in mavics like they did in their new FPV drone. . . . I hope. . .

There is a LOT to unpack from that last comment!

Firstly, let me differentiate that I do three (3)different maneuvers, e.g.: timelapse, hyperlapse, and motion timelapse.

(1)TIMELAPSE- I do the classic timelapse- which is, tripod, camera moved by a motor moving along a rail and fixed camera on one subject. A series of 200-600 individual shots taken with a DSLR and saved as RAW files in a folder. This folder is processed using LRTimelapse and Lightroom. (see image attached).

My "toys" e.g.: Osmo Action (like Go Pro), Osmo Mobile, and Osmo Pocket 1 all will do timelapse. The Osmo Action will do it and produce a finished product ready to use in Premiere. The iPhone does the same thing.

(2) HYPERLAPSE- that is, a moving timelapse. The camera moves. I used to do this using my NikonDSLR but is is extremely difficult, tireing, and tedious. Now, the "toys" do the hyperlapse instantly. The iPhone has a built in hyperlapse function, as does the Osmo Mobile, and Osmo Action.

(3) MOTIONLAPSE- this is also called a motion timelapse. The lens moves from point A to point B to point C.

For years, I used a Dynamic Perception. (www.dynamicperception.com) $3,000 set of 4 foot rails, controller (computer), and moving platform with a 3 axis gimbal. It was heavy (about 30 pounds), and totally un-portaDynamicPrecision Slider Completely Assembled.jpgDynamicPrecision Slider Completely Assembled.jpgble. I could only shoot it from near the trunk of my car. It produced wonderful timelapses. The Nikon DSLR was mounted on it, and the data was captured in RAW files and processed in LRTimelapse. I have done hundreds of these, but it got to be so cumbersome to travel with that after my last summer in Big Sky, Montana, I finally sold it for $2200.00 on e-bay. At the age of nearly 83 I must start to divest myself of some of this gear because my wife would never know how to dispose of it an this complex gear would be a nightmare for her to sell. I do miss that set up but am thrilled to have sold it. So now, I can use Motion lapse, using the iPhone and an iPhone tripod. It will take a motion lapse series of 2 to 4 positions and I think it looks pretty good.

So now, I have a sort of motion lapse which can be produced within the timelapse mode with 2 to 4 positions, using the Osmo Pocket.

It is this last thing that I think you should be able to do on your hikes using the Pocket, iPhone, and the PgyTech or Ulanzi holder which holds the phone, and pocket on a small tripod. The phone is used as the composition screen since the Pocket screen is virtually impossible for me to see and compose in any sort of sunlight. Allow 20 minutes for it.

I could talk gear all night too!

Hope this wasn't too confusing. I have footage of all of this explained above.

Dale

I’m totally there with you on everything, especially the motion time lapse, panning time lapse I’ll use the osmo pocket 2 for on the summits. Just having the Pocket connect to the phone vía wifi is even easier then physically coupling the phone and Pocket 2.
I bought a little baby slider kit myself, came with a slider, camera rotator, and the little dolly car for like $100. Cheap plastic stuff but does actually work well with a small camera, even my Panasonic g 85 MFT but the planning and fiddling. . .the pocket 2 is so easy. . .
The new Pocket 2 creator combo kit came with a nice wireless mic, wifi handle extension that easily and wirelessly connects to the phone, wide angle lens and tiny yet usable tripod. I am very excited to try the pocket 2 on my 10 selfie stick, then compose or use subject tracking on the phone. Cool slow Pan looking straight down on me at the cliff’s lip. . . Subject track some fancy climbing moves. So many possibilities!

I’m totally there with you on everything, especially the motion time lapse, panning time lapse I’ll use the osmo pocket 2 for on the summits. Just having the Pocket connect to the phone vía wifi is even easier then physically coupling the phone and Pocket 2.
I bought a little baby slider kit myself, came with a slider, camera rotator, and the little dolly car for like $100. Cheap plastic stuff but does actually work well with a small camera, even my Panasonic g 85 MFT but the planning and fiddling. . .the pocket 2 is so easy. . .
The new Pocket 2 creator combo kit came with a nice wireless mic, wifi handle extension that easily and wirelessly connects to the phone, wide angle lens and tiny yet usable tripod. I am very excited to try the pocket 2 on my 10 selfie stick, then compose or use subject tracking on the phone. Cool slow Pan looking straight down on me at the cliff’s lip. . . Subject track some fancy climbing moves. So many possibilities!
It is getting to be bed time. I will close with two images of my trek to Everest Base Camp. Actually, we hiked to Kala Pattar, 18,500 feet, overlooking Base Camp at 17,500 feet (shown by tents and arrow), I was 61 years old in 2000.I only carried my Nikon at that time. No such thing as timelapse.Dale and Guide TEK, Everest Trail-2000.jpgDale and Guide TEK, Everest Trail-2000.jpgEverest and Base Camp,Khumbu Icefall.jpgEverest and Base Camp,Khumbu Icefall.jpg

14 minutes is too long

Hello Karl,
That was again a very interesting and exciting video. The landscape and the rock formations are simply sensational!
For you this climb was almost a walk, even if you had a class 4 passage! As a very skilled climber no problem. ?
The commentary at the beginning of the video was very interesting, because I know Butch Cassidy also, Am a fan of good western movies!
It was a big pleasure to watch your new video, thanks for sharing ? Looking forwar to your next adventure!
cheers Paul
BTW, I asked myself many times if there are rattle snakes in the region, and if you did see one of them?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lagunadci